Whats Good in Mid-2021 to watch on Netfliex

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

I asked this a few years ago, 'what do you recommend on Netflix', but I think it tiem for an update. The world has chnaged and so has the linup on Netflix.

I'll be hoenst I bring thsi up because I don't know what to watch.

I am still trying to finished up JESSICA JONES, but I still recommend it despite not seeing where it ends. I'll admit, I'm a sucker for Krysten Ritter. I like LOVE, DEATH & ROBOTS because its decent animation and often more interesting than most sci-fi on TV. Last year, I watched DRACULA that starred Dolly Wells and Claes Bang, ist was great; but the ending was a bit too lowkey for me. I liked THE WITCHER, but I fell of ist and I need to get back to it. (Should I recommend a show I fell off of?) I watched all of RUSSIAN DOLL and that was pretty damn good, I like Natasha Lyonne and I'm glad she is back acting again.

I fall fo of so many shows....THE QUEENS' GAMBIT, I watched the first four episodes than lost interest. LUCIFER was fun, but I fell off it. BREAKING BAD...I'm trying to struggle through.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson is probably my favorite thing that Netflix has produced. If you can vibe with weird surrealist cringe comedy, I strongly recommend it.

JimmyRedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson is probably my favorite thing that Netflix has produced. If you can vibe with weird surrealist cringe comedy, I strongly recommend it.

X2 Season one is the funniest thing I've seen in years.

Dark is a really good German scifi show from a few years ago, and American Vandal is a pitch perfect satire of true crime docs that a lot of people slept on (at least season 1 is, I haven't seen 2)

HeelBill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

+1 for Dark and ITYSL

I enjoyed Locke and Key not too long ago. Haven't been blown away by Netflix recently though, other than S2 of ITYSL.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By BisonHero  Online

Dark is really quite good. As others have said, it's German scifi, and to give a brief introduction based only on things from the first episode, the cast is a mix of adults, high schoolers, and like 1-2 kids, and it takes place in a German town where maybe some weird time travel is happening. It has the "what the fuck is going on here" of a Lost, but if it were a mercifully short, focused, high-impact 26 episodes, instead of Lost's meandering 121 episodes where some seasons make you question what you are doing with your life. Dark's writing is great but not perfect, and like Lost you might occasionally ask "Wait, what happened to that plotline/character from last season that just kinda never got explained?", but for the complexity of plotting that it's going for, Dark works so much more than it misses. Also the show has great visuals, great music, great tension and atmosphere when needed. I really can't praise it enough.

Fair warning, the show is kinda grim in its overall tone, so maybe not for you if you want sci-fi that is more upbeat adventure, like Stranger Things or Star Wars. It's not nihilistic "everything is pointless, do whatever" grim, but like Lost, the characters have persistent sci-fi problems and personal problems, and are generally having a rough go of it.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By gtxforza

For those who love to watch car drifting, I'd recommend them watching Hyperdrive while for those who love anime girls driving military vehicles, I'd recommend the Girls und Panzer series.

For myself, I personally choose to watch Transformers War For Cybertron: Siege.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Not He-Man

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kingdom is an absolutely fantastic series that I'm sure a lot of people are overlooking due to zombie fatigue and I think that's a big mistake. It's probably the creepiest that zombies have been in decades.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By gundogan

Like others have said: watch Dark if you haven't seen it. It's easily the best thing on Netflix for me. Solid acting and character development, great atmosphere throughout all timelines and not that hard to follow despite being in German and a story spanning multiple timelines at once. It's opening theme is quite excellent too:

Loading Video...

In similar vibe I can sort of recommend Katla. It's an Icelandic serie where... things happen in a small village trapped near an active volcano. Definitely not as good as Dark, but if you want something similarish it's worth a watch I think.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@sombre said:

Not He-Man

Yeah, I heard there were issues...but I was not really paying attention to what they were or why people were unhappy.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@jimmyredd: I just watched the trailer for American Vandal and just about lost it lol definitely gonna check this out. Will give the Time Robinson show a shot.

Avatar image for bored_and_agitated
bored_and_agitated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

La Ley de Herodes is one of my fave movies. It’s a dark comedy about Mexican politics, set in the 40’s but more of an allegory to late 90’s politics. It’s real funny. I’m Spanish with subtitles though.

The same director made a great comedy movie about the cartels too. El Infierno

theonewhoplays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By theonewhoplays

The new Masters of the Universe (it's not called He-Man) show was OK. It's pretty and well made, with some pacing issues and some pretty rushed plot points due to the low number of episodes in the season. I enjoyed how it let the old supporting characters have some time in the sun for once. Just don't expect it to be the same as the 80s show (even if it has some scenes that has the same cheesy feel, especially in flashbacks). It depends on where the show is going (if it gets renewed), but it feels like they were trying to both make it a sequel as well as a reboot. I personally enjoyed the new She-Ra show more, since it did its own thing instead of piggy-backing on the old show. She-Ra is also squarely aimed at kids while still trying to give most characters some more dimensions. Sometimes I feel like old nerds forget that these shows aren't necessarily made to cater to them. That said, the first episode of MotN had some prime nerd bait, with all the old vehicle toys on full display - I still have the old toys of most of the characters and had too much fun seeing them in proper animation. Even if the reactions have been hilariously overblown I can understand if old fans were disappointed with the new show's direction, especially since the first trailer was a kind of a red herring.

TLDR: The new Masters of the Universe show was OK but felt rushed and was too much of a sequel to the old show no kids will remember or even know of. The new She-Ra show was a complete reboot and much stronger as a result.

theonewhoplays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched Parcs and Recreation for the first time recently and can definitely recommend it. Very funny and strangely heartwarming. The first season feels like an Office spin-off but it quickly becomes its own thing.

craymen_edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superstore and Kim's Convenience are both enjoyable, light comedy series.

Losers is a few years old but an interesting series of sports documentaries

noobsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kingdom is a great zombie show (and coming from someone tured of zombie stuff). Castlevania is a great anime show. Bloodline (at least season 1) is a great, slow burn drama. I Think You Should Leave is a crazy comedy show.