When it comes to friends, which do you prefer?

• 51 results
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Red12b
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Red12b

Before you vote, I want you to really think about this, Sometimes it is hard to take the truth, sometimes it is hard for you to tell your best mate what he needs to hear about something, if you had a situation where you needed to tell a mate a real truth even if he didn’t realise it was for his own good would you tell him or would you tell them something that would make them feel better?

I appreciate both, But after the fact I would respect somebody who told me something that I needed to hear even if at the time it made me feel like shit,    

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By meteora

Neither. Ignorant is a bliss.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Xeiphyer

Friends are for suckers! =P

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#5  Edited By Jazz

The type of friend who would clean the blood off the walls or score me some K. 
I've only had one of those friends, and she aint talkin to me no more.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mylifeforAiur

I always prefer people who are openly honest with me ;)

apoptosis61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By apoptosis61

no need

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NekuSakuraba

The friends that I control and listen to my every order and are fun to play with. 

In that case, video games win.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By BraveToaster

B.  But I don't have too many friends.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

No need to lie to me, the goverment's already doing that.

So B.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By RandomHero666

Friends are overrated

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By gingertastic_10

Well I don't tell my friends my problems so neither. I hold in everything like a man. And it's the same for all my friends.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13  Edited By KaosAngel

...crap, this made me think too much so it took me awhile.  It's also 8 a.m. here, so I had to re-read it twice.  >.>

Steve_Ramirez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Steve_Ramirez
@mylifeforAiur said:
" I always prefer people who are openly honest with me ;) "
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By penguindust

Depends on what type of friend they are.  Work friends, friends-of-friends, people who think they are your friend and friends who you've drifted apart from should either tell me what I want to hear or offer no critical comment at all.  Close personal friends (the type that hold you up when you're blowing chunks after a night of boozing) should know when it's the right time to tell you what you need to hear versus what you want to hear.  Chances are if they get that wrong, you're just going to ignore them anyway.  A good friend knows when to stroke your ego and when to smack you around with the hard truth. 

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pessh

Now I'd say B. Would probably choose A when shit is going down though.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dbz1995

I don't think I've ever met a friend who has told me what I need to hear.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18  Edited By Termite

If I really know the person well, and trust them, then I would prefer to have them tell me what I need to know.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By natetodamax

I don't understand this poll. 

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By crusader8463

I don't have friends, but if I did they would be the kind that tell the truth no matter what because that's how I am and I can't stand being around people who are too afraid to say what's on their mind. I do my best not to lie and i would hope they would have the same respect for me to do the same. The only exception to that rule would be if telling the truth might really hurt someone, but even then I may still do it but try to find the easiest way to do it in.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By crusader8463
@natetodamax said:
" I don't understand this poll.  "
Do you prefer friends who are yes men and just go along with everything as though your the best, and that everything you guys do is awesome no matter what they really think, or do you want a friend who isn't afraid to call you an idiot when you say something stupid or to say no that's a bad idea why would we go do that? Or if your having a problem would you rather have a friend who tries to pretend like every things fine when it not, or a friend who will sit there and tell you that it's fucked up.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#22  Edited By natetodamax
@crusader8463 said:
" @natetodamax said:
" I don't understand this poll.  "
Do you prefer friends who are yes men and just go along with everything as though your the best, and that everything you guys do is awesome no matter what they really think, or do you want a friend who isn't afraid to call you an idiot when you say something stupid or to say no that's a bad idea why would we go do that? Or if your having a problem would you rather have a friend who tries to pretend like every things fine when it not, or a friend who will sit there and tell you that it's fucked up. "
Well last year my "friends" were the "tells you what you need to hear kind" and they were dickheads, so I guess I go with A.
Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Meltac

Pressed A, but I really meant B. I wan't friends who are telling me the truth, not some shit which will make me feel better.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Red12b
@crusader8463 said:
" I don't have friends, but if I did they would be the kind that tell the truth no matter what because that's how I am and I can't stand being around people who are too afraid to say what's on their mind. I do my best not to lie and i would hope they would have the same respect for me to do the same. The only exception to that rule would be if telling the truth might really hurt someone, but even then I may still do it but try to find the easiest way to do it in. "
I think that falls under the white lie category, Being a dick all the time even if you are just telling the truth you ain't going to win anyone over with a bad attitude, and I don't mean not having a few laughs, it's just when shit is serious, it's nice to know that if someone gives you their word you can depend on them, 
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By crusader8463
@Red12b: Just because you tell the truth doesn't mean you have to be rude or a dick about it. Like if a friend said hey lets go do "activity X" and you didn't want to or you hated doing that, then what's wrong with just saying "Actually I really dislike that, what about ....." Obviously there is a give and take where some times you do things your not too fond of because you know your friend likes it and hopefully you will get the same thing back, but I have learned that just going along with a friend to be nice even when you don't want to can hurt a friendship in the long run. The best example of this is a friend I used to have. We used to play a few games that I absolutely hated playing practically every day for about a year because I knew he liked playing them so I went along with it. Then at some point I just couldn't take it anymore and told him that I didn't like playing the games we had been playing and that I didn't want to play them anymore. And ever since then we pretty much stopped talking or playing games altogether.

My point being that if you build a friendship on half truths, or out right lies, that eventually something will happen to bring it to light and sometimes it can destroy a friendship that you really cared about and that would still have had if you had simply told the truth from the start. I have had a couple "tell me what I want to hear" friendships in my life and every time they have ended badly for all involved. As time goes on more and more little things start to build up that frustrate you about the other person until it's too late and something gets said that can't be unsaid.

It's different with every person and situation though. You can't just say always do this or always do that because life isn't so black and white. There are times when telling them what they want to hear is what's needed, and sometimes a cold glass of truth juice is what a person really needs.  There is a certain skill to knowing when to use which one. Sadly not every one has that talent and even the best of intentions can come across as them being mean or a dick. In those situations though I think it falls on the other friend to realize that that's just how the other person is and that they are not trying to be mean or hurtful. But of course some times you may just have a dick friend who enjoys being a dick. Again, there is no blanket approach to stuff like this because there is an exception to every rule.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Karl_Boss

The second obviously

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#27  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'm a bit confused by this scenario. Are you assuming I'm a drug addict or something, or that I drop kick any child I come across? (OK, I actually do that last one. I can't help it.)

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By shiftymagician

I prefer friends that are open and honest, and do not laugh off a serious error as "nothing serious".  I know a lot of people around my area that fail to meet this simple criteria.

Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

I prefer honesty so B.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By habster3

I accidentally picked A, but I meant B.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Marcsman

A friend with weed 
is a friend indeed.
Anteater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Anteater
@MrNESS said:
" Definitely B. Can't live in a bubble "
Uhgreed. Sorry about that. I haven't slept in 71 hours and 30 minutes for 100 bucks.
Anteater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Anteater
@MrNESS said:
" @Anteater said:
" @MrNESS said:
" Definitely B. Can't live in a bubble "
Uhgreed. Sorry about that. I haven't slept in 71 hours and 30 minutes for 100 bucks. "
Was it worth it? "
Batman:Arkham Assylum=20 $

Burnout Paradise The Ultimate Pack=20 $

Modern Warfare 2=60 $

Guess ;)
EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By EVO

Essentially, you're asking if we'd prefer lies or honesty.

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i only hang out with people who are honest, hold high standards of integrity, and are reliable. i don't bother with flakes and other fake ass people.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By foggel

They usually tell me what I need to hear, and I'm grateful for that.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheGremp

Friends?

WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

B. Many people have loads of friends but only have a handful of close friends.
The close friends I have basically tell me the truth no matter what it involves. 
Thats what friends do, 
plus a few other things but I cant have people thinking bad of me :P 

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By RVonE

Can one consider people who belong to type A to be friends?
NukeSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By NukeSpoon

rachel

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@RVonE said:
" Can one consider people who belong to type A to be friends? "
That's a very strange question.  Now, I don't have any friends so I won't consider myself an expert or anything, but I would think that type A friends would be more empathetic towards you and want to make you feel better, no matter what.  Why would that not be considered a friend?
NukeSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By NukeSpoon

RACHEL

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By VisariLoyalist

i think we all have mixed feelings about this. Honestly I guess I'd fall into the first category simply because I'd rather not discuss serious issues with my friends anyway, they're just people to hang around with and joke and such.

NukeSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By NukeSpoon

actually no monica

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By RVonE
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @RVonE said:
" Can one consider people who belong to type A to be friends? "
That's a very strange question.  Now, I don't have any friends so I won't consider myself an expert or anything, but I would think that type A friends would be more empathetic towards you and want to make you feel better, no matter what.  Why would that not be considered a friend? "

Yes, I agree about the part that they'd want me to feel better. However, I think that that is not enough to constitute a friendship. The way I see it, a friendship is a form of intimacy characterized sincerity and a genuine concern for the well-being of the other. A friend will console the other when needed, but not at the cost of saying what needs to be said. There have been times that a close friend of mine made me feel better by criticizing what I was doing; in a way, he made me face myself and I came out better because of it. 
A person that tells me only what I want to hear lacks this sincerity I look for. Or in other words, friends should be able to say to one another what is necessary--because it is necessary--without negative consequences for the friendship. Of course, people like to think there are levels of friendship and that is probably true. Let's just say that this is my view on the best of friendships.
NukeSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By NukeSpoon

though joey's kinda hot

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@RVonE: I agree completely.  What you want to hear is not often what's best for you and a true friend would criticize you and tell you things honestly so that you can better yourself or your situation.  Though, some people can respond negatively when they don't hear what they actually want to hear, which is more of a psychological problem, in that case.
Remedy25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Remedy25

I prefer the hard honest truth!

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#50  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

The options remind me the ending of The Dark  Knight. 

"Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now...and so we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector...a dark knight. "