#1  Edited By natetodamax
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

Just curious, because they are both very different and I've seen people debate about which one is better. I personally prefer the leveling system in which you must practice your major skills in order to advance. For example, if I were to play as a mage, I would level up by casting spells, and not by fighting dudes with warhammers.    

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By breadfan

Fallout 3.  I like getting my experience points by killing fools rather than standing in a corner and jumping up and down.

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ahriman22

Major Skills. It really allows me to shape my characte the way I want to... Even though I keep ending up with a spell casting assassin who only uses a bow.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By cstrang

This is actually a tough question, 'cause I liked Oblivion's concept more than it's execution, and Fallout 3's leveling was pretty alright.  Probably Fallout, just because it's a lot easier to be a little more rounded.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

Fallout 3.  Oblivion's system was a monotonous trudge, and having to jump around like a moron just so I can level up was both ridiculous and trite.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee

I've only played Oblivion, but if Fallout 3 doesn't require u to find a bed and ''meditate'' then I imagine i'll prefer Fallout 3's.
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Systech

Fallout 3 definitely had a less frustrating system in my opinion. In real life, I don't need to level up by sleeping.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Xeiphyer

I hated Oblivion's system since you basically just jumped everywhere to level the agility skill, and magic was really hard to level up. It was terrible. Fallout 3 is much better, although...

Monsters that scale to your level is super lame.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10  Edited By Cerza
@ahriman22 said:
" Major Skills. It really allows me to shape my characte the way I want to... Even though I keep ending up with a spell casting assassin who only uses a bow. "
LMAO! Me too!
gannon16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By gannon16

I prefer Oblivion's level up system, but I like the way you level up in Fallout 3 as well.

RiddleBrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By RiddleBrother

By "practicing your major skills" you must have meant "tape the left thumbstick up while your character swims into a corner for hours, or, jump everywhere like a retard who thinks he has a scorpion in his boot". I much prefer the fallout 3 method.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Oblivion makes much more sense imo

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Potter9156

I like both, but prefer the "learn by doing" system. Oblivion is a bad example; the leveling system was broke. It took so long to level a skill, you needed to exploit the system if you wanted to level up past 20. 

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By fripplebubby

Fallout seems more classic, but Oblivion seems like a better idea. Did any mods ever fix the leveling on Oblivion? 

Avatar image for indeedcodybrown
IndeedCodyBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By IndeedCodyBrown

Fallout 3 was better in everyway
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Oblivions.

Even if it had some kinks in it, I still like the concept.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I'd like Oblivion's better, if it was developed in a more efficient way.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#19  Edited By natetodamax

Some people mentioned that you "had" to level up by jumping in a corner. I put "had" in quotation marks because jumping or swimming in a corner for hours isn't the way that system is supposed to be used.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#20  Edited By ImperiousRix

Fallout 3 by far.  Oblvion's leveling system was absolute junk.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By beforet

I liked the idea behind Oblivon's, but I don't think it was done very well. So Fallout.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#22  Edited By Hailinel
@natetodamax said:
"

Some people mentioned that you "had" to level up by jumping in a corner. I put "had" in quotation marks because jumping or swimming in a corner for hours isn't the way that system is supposed to be used.

"
But it's really the only effective way to level in that game.  Tying your ability to level to up to actions like jumping was a big mistake.

Oblivion's other big mistake is the enemy level scaling, which makes the entire endeavor of leveling up absolutely pointless.
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By CornontheCobbe
@Br3adfan said:
" Fallout 3.  I like getting my experience points by killing fools rather than standing in a corner and jumping up and down. "
Haha, you have nailed the perfect answer for this on the head. Fallout 3's leveling system for me.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Hailinel said:
" Oblivion's other big mistake is the enemy level scaling, which makes the entire endeavor of leveling up absolutely pointless. "
Oh my god, YES!  I hated that.  When I take time to grind and level up, it's to be able to destroy weaker monsters!  Not so they can grow powerful along with me for no reason.
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#25  Edited By gingertastic_10

I feel that I shouldn't vote since I have not played Oblivion, but I love Fallout 3's leveling system.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MrKlorox
@cstrang said:
" I liked Oblivion's concept more than it's execution "
Same. Going by concept alone, I prefer to level up my skills by doing them. But I dislike the major and minor skills for character leveling. Perhaps a hybrid.

The standard system that Fallout and every other game has feels dated. However I have always been a proponent of perks.
skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#27  Edited By skrutop

I prefer The Elder Scrolls' experience system, though it wasn't very well executed in Oblivion.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By themangalist
@natetodamax said:
"

"
The problem is, agility is needed to raise the level, and of course for an rpg game it's about leveling, but practically other than jumping over rocks or crates, there isn't any in-game usage of jumping, or any part in the game where it FORCES you to jump. That's why jumping to raise agility to raise level does not make sense.
Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

definitely oblivion

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By artofwar420

I voted Fallout 3, but I think a combination of both systems would be very interesting.
Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By Darkstar614

I voted for fallout 3 as that just seems more logical. Although Oblivion's is more realistic, doesn't necessarily mean more fun.

I'm waiting for games to rip off of the Sphere Grid. Where you can level up normally, but once you're done you can go back and basically re-write the grid to have what stats you want. Also the branching paths for different skill sets in that system worked really well.

Avatar image for 21stcenturyjesus
21stCenturyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By 21stCenturyJesus

oblivion. sure it was broken when it came to skills like agillity or acrobatics, but it was incredibly immersive to become a good archer by actually practicing archery, for example, rather than completing some arbitrary task and assigning skill points
spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#33  Edited By spazmaster666

I liked the concept behind Oblivion's leveling system more but I definitely prefer Fallout 3's in terms of simplicity. As for enemies leveling up to you, this happens in Fallout 3 as well.

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ahriman22
@themangalist said:
" @natetodamax said:
"

"
The problem is, agility is needed to raise the level, and of course for an rpg game it's about leveling, but practically other than jumping over rocks or crates, there isn't any in-game usage of jumping, or any part in the game where it FORCES you to jump. That's why jumping to raise agility to raise level does not make sense. "
That's what the custom classes were for. My characters never had Agility or any of that as a main skill and I had no problem leveling.
Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Druminator

Oblivion for sure.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By pause422

I have no idea how anyone can like Oblivions honestly. Its so easily exploitable and stupid. Fallout 3 just has a normal leveling system which is the best kind for RPGs. Oblivion is only playable with all the mods out for it in my opinion, since they can change pretty much every dumb thing in the game.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Nasar7
@skrutop said:
" I prefer The Elder Scrolls' experience system, though it wasn't very well executed in Oblivion. "
This. On the other hand, I hate the concepts of scaled enemies, so Fallout get points for its partial scaling system, the lesser of two evils. But then again I also hate level caps with every fiber of my being, so neither system is my ideal.
calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By calidan777

Oblivion's was better, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
@ahriman22 said:
" @themangalist said:
" @natetodamax said:
"

"
The problem is, agility is needed to raise the level, and of course for an rpg game it's about leveling, but practically other than jumping over rocks or crates, there isn't any in-game usage of jumping, or any part in the game where it FORCES you to jump. That's why jumping to raise agility to raise level does not make sense. "
That's what the custom classes were for. My characters never had Agility or any of that as a main skill and I had no problem leveling. "
I just jumped all over the place....I got really good at leaping from rock to rock.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MrKlorox
@Nasar7 said:
" @skrutop said:
" I prefer The Elder Scrolls' experience system, though it wasn't very well executed in Oblivion. "
This. On the other hand, I hate the concepts of scaled enemies, so Fallout get points for its partial scaling system, the lesser of two evils. But then again I also hate level caps with every fiber of my being, so neither system is my ideal. "
Yes, agreed on all points. 25 cap without mods is shitardulous, and what's the point of getting stronger if all enemies do too?
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I love the customization that TES allows, but Oblivion was executed terribly. Even for Morrowind, I end up just downloading a mod that lets me choose whatever attributes I want at level up.

rhodric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By rhodric
@Br3adfan said:
" Fallout 3.  I like getting my experience points by killing fools rather than standing in a corner and jumping up and down. "
totally agree. Stealth walking into a corner is not my idea of fun.
themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By themangalist
@ahriman22: doesn't matter. I bet 99% of the people don't have agility as a major skill. The thing is, it's a bad design decision just to let players put agility as one, or to make jumping the only source of raising agility, or to make jumping the only thing agility affects. If not for the dumb rabbit hops, i bet many players would actually choose agility for their attributes.
Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Drebin_893

Oblivion.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#45  Edited By Atlas

Oblivion's is much more unique and interesting, but Fallout 3's is much more solid and well rounded. I'll go with Fallout 3 in a pinch.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ghostiet
@Fripplebubby said:
" Fallout seems more classic, but Oblivion seems like a better idea. Did any mods ever fix the leveling on Oblivion?  "

Yes - OblivionXP gives you a leveling system like in a classic cRPG. I don't remember though if it does anything with the stupid level scaling.
AZChristopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AZChristopher
@Hailinel said:

Oblivion's other big mistake is the enemy level scaling, which makes the entire endeavor of leveling up absolutely pointless. "
This. By the end I didn't even want to level up in Oblivion since there was no point. I guess that was one benefit of leveling up when you sleep, I just didn't ever have my character sleep.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Fallout 3, considering I didn't play Oblivion for 80+ hours.

produceman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By produceman

i like the idea of praticing the skill you want to improve but in oblivion you only got a small amount of points which made it really boring where as in fallout 3 it seemed easier to spec a charcter
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50  Edited By FrankCanada97

Oblivion's system was good on paper, but the execution was flawed.