Who's going to watch the debate tonight?

• 165 results
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By natetodamax

I'll be watching it. All Obama has to do is sit back with his feet on a desk smiling and let Romney talk about anything, because nothing Romney says is intelligent.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@imsh_pl said:

@Castermhief117 said:

It might surprise you to know that Obama supported legislation that would offer more affordable loans to small businesses. People like to associate government jobs with lousy office jobs but a good bulk of it is scientists, teachers, police officers, hospitals, firemen, etc.

Furthermore, the whole expansion of the government thing isn't the biggest thing running down the deficit. It's simply the fact that all the baby boomers are now getting old and there's a huge disparity in who is paying for the social security. From what I recall, social security and medicare accounts for around 60-66% of our current debt problems.

Romney likes to say that he has solutions but has never said that he's willing to cut specific parts of social security or medicare only that he is for "reform". But this is a stance that both parties follow. Obama believes that investing in the health of Americans will ultimately make them healthier and more productive (better economy) but this belief hasn't been tested or supported by scientific evidence.

So to me, I'd much rather have a president who is more willing to invest on science and technology than a president who believes that the world is 6,000 years old and that the Garden of Eden was somewhere in Missouri.

By 'invest' you mean 'force other people to pay for under the threat of force', correct?

I'm sorry but you make it sound like the government has some resoucres to 'invest' and 'redistribute' which were not obtained through the barrel of a gun.

Same argument can be said about public roads, plumbing, public libraries, schools, and a whole array of things that people share. Societies create governments in order to instill safety and order. As a consequence, citizens have an obligation to pay taxes. Go live in Kenya if you don't want a government.

Also by invest, I mean invest. Science and technology are obviously the answer to many domestic and global problems. Investing in these fields has always generated innovation in many fronts that benefit everybody.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By imsh_pl

@Castermhief117 said:

Same argument can be said about public roads, plumbing, public libraries, schools, and a whole array of things that people share. Societies create governments in order to instill safety and order. As a consequence, citizens have an obligation to pay taxes. Go live in Kenya if you don't want a government.

So forcing people to pay for your services is good if they benefit others in some way, even if you personally wouldn't want these sevices, correct?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By Milkman

This is a pretty interesting site. Apparently, I'm a hippy. Oh well.

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imsh_pl said:

@Castermhief117 said:

So forcing people to pay for your services is good if they benefit others in some way, even if you personally wouldn't want these sevices, correct?

That's right. Even though some people don't believe in evolution, I'm glad that a public university uses tax payer money to fund scientific research that studies the genetic pathway of evolution.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By Turambar

For those who would care, the format for this election's debate has changed.  Previously, each candidate was given a question, and a set time to answer it with zero interruptions other than a red light, prompting nothing but pre-prepared speeches.  In an attempt to address criticisms of that format, the one tonight with be 6 questions with 15 minutes per question, split among the two candidates.  Each candidates will be allowed to make a 2-3 minute statement, after which the sole moderator will have the freedom to probe for deeper information from the candidates however he wishes, splitting the time however he wishes.  The only restraint placed on the candidates themselves at this point is they cannot ask each other questions.  So basically, it boils down to how much you trust Jim Lehre to make the best of his moderation powers.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#57  Edited By TheHBK

Romney is going to get massacred.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Jrinswand

I dunno. I might watch the debates. It depends on whether or not I think I'll be able to use them to teach my class. LOL.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By imsh_pl

@Castermhief117 said:

@imsh_pl said:

@Castermhief117 said:

That's right. Even though some people don't believe in evolution, I'm glad that a public university uses tax payer money to fund scientific research that studies the genetic pathway of evolution.

So if there's a local mafia in your district which forces you to pay for protection - even if you don't want it - and justifies this extortion by saying that it has to use these resources to provide protection to other people - even if they don't want it - they are, in your mind, justified to do that, because even though they force you to pay the money benefits others in some way, correct?

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#60  Edited By MrKlorox

I'll have to download/stream it later. Hopefully it's posted in a public place like youtube or something.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#61  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'm watching it, but only because I hope it devolves into an a cappella rap battle. I heard something about "zingers", so I'm expected lyrics of the highest caliber.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imsh_pl said:

@Castermhief117 said:

@imsh_pl said:

@Castermhief117 said:

So if there's a local mafia in your district which forces you to pay for protection - even if you don't want it - and justifies this extortion by saying that it has to use these resources to provide protection to other people - even if they don't want it - they are, in your mind, justified to do that, because even though they force you to pay the money benefits others in some way, correct?

You can compare the government to the mafia all you want and be totally reductive, but come back to me when you can vote for the leader of the Mafia, when the mafia provides and hires soldiers, teachers, policemen, hospitals, scientists, and a plethora of other services for your benefit.

Taking into account that every time you drive to school and work, you're using publicly paid roadways to get to your destination - I'd say your analogy is pretty lame.

pizzapotomus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By pizzapotomus

Edit: This is futile. Secrest out.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By nohthink

I will be watching it because I care

trav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By trav

@hidys said:

@Aegon said:

Will there be a livestream?

I would also like to know this.

@MrKlorox said:

I'll have to download/stream it later. Hopefully it's posted in a public place like youtube or something.

Youtube and a number of other sites are streaming it online.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By imsh_pl

@Castermhief117 said:

You can compare the government to the mafia all you want and be totally reductive, but come back to me when you can vote for the leader of the Mafia, when the mafia provides and hires soldiers, teachers, policemen, hospitals, scientists, and a plethora of other services for your benefit.

So if, say, once a year the mafia would say that everyone it extorts money from can throw a piece of paper with the name of the new mafia boss they'd like to have, the mafia would be justified in the theft? Also, if the mafia provided all of the services you listed, it wouldn't matter that they forced people to pay for them even if the victims didn't want it, correct?

Taking into account that every time you drive to school and work, you're using publicly paid roadways to get to your destination - I'd say your analogy is pretty lame.

So if I steal $100 and use it to provide an essential good you can't get anywhere else (because I eliminated the competition by force) and you used that good I would be justified in the theft, correct?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imsh_pl said:

@Castermhief117 said:

So if, say, once a year the mafia would say that everyone it extorts money from can throw a piece of paper with the name of the new mafia boss they'd like to have, the mafia would be justified in the theft? Also, if the mafia provided all of the services you listed, it wouldn't matter that they forced people to pay for them even if the victims didn't want it, correct?

So if I steal $100 and use it to provide an essential good you can't get anywhere else (because I eliminated the competition by force) and you used that good I would be justified in the theft, correct?

You're only using the term "mafia" because it implies a bad connotation. But if you provide enough of these "if the mafia did this" and "enough of that", the mafia would be something totally different. But in some ways, you're right - it's how America came to be. A group of people illegally fought and victimized people for their beliefs and ideals.

But no matter how you frame it, society depends on governments to function.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Jimbo

Obama walks out on stage in his 'I Killed OBL!' t-shirt; debate and election rendered pointless. Flawless victory.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Jams

@Jimbo

Obama walks out on stage in his 'I Killed OBL!' t-shirt; debate and election rendered pointless. Flawless victory.

I'd vote for him if he came out in a Fuck Ryan Davis t-shirt

Edit: Stupid fucking mobile site editor is the worst.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By captain_clayman

No, fuck both of them. Obama's actually a pretty alright guy but seriously I wish he had a real competitor instead of Mitt Romney. The fact that Mitt Romney is the best that the GOP has to offer just shows how much the two party system needs to change drastically. I really wish we could get Gary Johnson or Jill Stein debating up there, since that would actually be interesting and would bring some new ideas to the table. Instead, we're going to hear the donkeys and elephants make noises at each other and echo all of their tired PR bullshit they've been spouting for the entire campaign already.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By AlexW00d

Is this that thing where both presidential candidates stand in front of the entire country and talk shit about one another like children? I can't tell if that would be fun to watch like a wrestling argument or the House of Commons, or just make me feel ashamed for them both. Probably the latter right?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_clayman said:

No, fuck both of them. Obama's actually a pretty alright guy but seriously I wish he had a real competitor instead of Mitt Romney. The fact that Mitt Romney is the best that the GOP has to offer just shows how much the two party system needs to change drastically. I really wish we could get Gary Johnson or Jill Stein debating up there, since that would actually be interesting and would bring some new ideas to the table. Instead, we're going to hear the donkeys and elephants make noises at each other and echo all of their tired PR bullshit they've been spouting for the entire campaign already.

It's be cool to see Neil Tyson up there duking it out.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#73  Edited By Phatmac

IT'S LIVE LET'S GET POLITICAL GIANT BOMB!

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#74  Edited By golguin

It's on.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Aegon

I live in Canada, but I'll watch anyways.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Phatmac

IT'S LIVE!

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By toowalrus

HE'S NOT SAYING ANYTHING!!

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By intro

Took my gf home, time to watch. Let's hope this gets interesting.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#79  Edited By Animasta

did he color his grey hair (obama)?

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Phatmac

Mittens Romeny is so cute.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Animasta

@Phatmac said:

I am mittbot take me to your whitehouse

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Phatmac

"I like coal." Mitt Romney.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By MariachiMacabre
@Phatmac

He's gonna do...things? To fix this country. What you want to know what he'll do and how? Gotta elect him before he'll tell you, cutey.
Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Aegon

HEATED

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By DukesT3

Me. Hope it turns into a civil fist fight.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Animasta

I'VE GOT 5 BOYS

I'M A HUMAN BEING PEOPLE

LOVE ME

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#87  Edited By musubi

It just needs to devolve down to "Yo Momma" jokes then it would be really entertaining.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Phatmac

@Animasta said:

I'VE GOT 5 BOYS

I'M A HUMAN BEING PEOPLE

LOVE ME

WANNA SEE MY WALLET

I HAVE PICTURES OF MY 5 BOYS

RIGHT HERE

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By thebunnyhunter

how long ago did it start?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Animasta

I AM THE THREE PERCENT

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Funkydupe

Not long. 10-15 minutes.

Will they eventually wear fat suits and wrestle?

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Phatmac

If you want to die take a shot every time one of them says middle class

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By toowalrus
"He's been running on this tax plan for 18 months- now, 5 weeks before the election, his new plan is "nevermind." 

I like Obama, he uses things like... Math. The stupid 'persistent undecided voter poll" is eating up Romney's "I'm all about jobs- I'm going to create more of them."
golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#94  Edited By golguin

Visually when Romney is talking Obama smirks and smiles. When Obama speaks Romney has a sour look on his face.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Grimhild

@Funkydupe said:

Will they eventually wear fat suits and wrestle?

I would watch it then, no doubt.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Phatmac

It's still fuckin' weird to watch a presidential debate on my game console. How far we've come.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Animasta

obama drawing on bill clinton vs. george bush... burn

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers