World War Z...anyone read it?

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

#1  Edited By MightyDuck

I bought it yesterday on a whim when I was in the Borders at our local mall.  I'm enjoying it so far.  I just finished "Devil in the White City" which was an excellent read (more so if you're from Chicago).

Anyway, has anyone read World War Z?  Your thoughts? 

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

I own the hardback, paperback, and the audio book. 

Take a wild fucking guess.

krystians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By krystians

Nope but I am ready, the Zombie Survival Guide. 

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By MistaSparkle

I thought it was decent. A tad confusing, but good. "Devil in the White City" is also pretty great!

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MightyDuck
@MistaSparkle said:
" I thought it was decent. A tad confusing, but good. "Devil in the White City" is also pretty great! "
That's what I'm sort of getting into right now.  Still waiting for some questions to be answered.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KaosAngel
@GetWhatYagive: What questions? 

The novel was pretty straight forward.  The only thing left unanswered was the fate of the world as a whole.  That was the entire point.
allenibrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By allenibrahim

I saw the audiobook but not the actual book at Border's, so I didn't get it. If it's not at my local library, I'll pick it up. After hearing Vinny talk about it on the Passing Quick Look, I remembered how much I want to read it.

jelekeloy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jelekeloy

Yeah, I really enjoyed it when I read it last year.  Can only remember bits and pieces of it now, maybe I'll get the audio book at some point.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MightyDuck

I'm only about 40 pages in or so.  Just curious about more of the background information or the events that lead up to the full on outbreak.  I'm sure I'll get to that point soon enough.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By audiosnag

I'm in the same boat as Kaos except for not having the paperback.
I can't emphasize how much i loved every line of that book. I'd recommend it to anyone.
By god if they screw up the movie I'll set Brad Pitt on fire. Or just refuse to acknowledge it exists.

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By DeShawn2ks
@GetWhatYagive:  I loved that book and all the things that got touched upon that never gets talked about in zombie movies. I would love to see the book be a miniseries or something on HBO. Like treat it like it is a for real documentary.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KaosAngel
@DeShawn2ks said:
" @GetWhatYagive:  I loved that book and all the things that got touched upon that never gets talked about in zombie movies. I would love to see the book be a miniseries or something on HBO. Like treat it like it is a for real documentary. "
YES!  They shouldn't do a movie, do it into a prime time adult cable special.  World War Z isn't about the zombies nor horror, it's about the human race and survival.  There's so few action moments in the novel that it would bore movie goers shitless.
Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sanryd

Read the Zombie Survival Guide and am now about a quarter of the way through WWZ. I'm a sucker for anything having to do with zombies (except L4D). It's a wonder how I'll keep myself from getting Black Ops now that I know zombies are in that too. Only time will tell...

bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bravetoaster

Yes and the Zombie Survival Guide. I enjoyed it.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By mikemcn
@tdk08 said:
" Read the Zombie Survival Guide and am now about a quarter of the way through WWZ. I'm a sucker for anything having to do with zombies (except L4D). It's a wonder how I'll keep myself from getting Black Ops now that I know zombies are in that too. Only time will tell... "
You may not like L4D but I bet you would like the writing on the walls. Its the closest thing that game has to fiction, READ UP!

But I read the Survival Guide, its a really fun read when you aren't in the mood for being serious.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HandsomeDead

I'm thinking of getting the audiobook as I heard it has a pretty good cast. Especially when compared to other audiobooks where it's just been one guy doing everything, including the female voices.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ch3burashka

I've read it. I really enjoyed the "postmortem documentary" aspect, it's a very interesting take on the zombie apocalypse. I also really like how technical Brooks gets, the devil is in the details as they say.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By fjordson
@KaosAngel said:
" @DeShawn2ks said:
" @GetWhatYagive:  I loved that book and all the things that got touched upon that never gets talked about in zombie movies. I would love to see the book be a miniseries or something on HBO. Like treat it like it is a for real documentary. "
YES!  They shouldn't do a movie, do it into a prime time adult cable special.  World War Z isn't about the zombies nor horror, it's about the human race and survival.  There's so few action moments in the novel that it would bore movie goers shitless. "
Sounds a lot like Walking Dead. Are you going to check out the show? I'm loving the comics so I'm interested to see what they do with it on AMC.
DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DeShawn2ks
@Fjordson:  Hell yeah I love The Walking Dead. I own the first 12 volumes. I am watching the show right now and so far so good. Scary how spot on Andrew Lincoln is to Rick Grimes.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iam3green

nope, but i do want to read it.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By teh_destroyer

Read and liked it a lot, still haven't read the Zombie Survival Guide yet.

Onced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Onced

I've started reading it twice, but never got around to completing it fully. I fucking love the Battle of Yonkers

ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ClaritySam

Absolutely fantastic book, I picked it up on a whim because the quote on the front cover was from Simon Pegg.  

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ragdrazi

I'm so done with Zombies, but I picked up WWZ for Halloween. I'm really impressed with how smart and really literary it is. Zombies mean something in this book. Something about who we are as people. That's amazing.

My one complaint is that the book doesn't seem to really provide a realistic portrayal of how the US would have reacted. If the US had never heard of zombies, then yeah, this would just be looked at as "African rabies," sure. But zombies are in our cultural unconscious. There's no way we'd put the blinders on like that.