You're stranded on an island. Velociraptors or spiders?

• 174 results
MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#51  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Spiders are nothing. You'd be insane to pick raptors over spiders.

Edit: Now I'm depressed because I went on Wikipedia and looked at what real velociraptors were like. I'm going to go back to my childhood where they were badasses without feathers, and huge! (In Jurassic Park, I mean.)

Edit II: Given how small real raptors were, and how big those spiders are (and venomous), I think the raptors might be the better option. I think the numbers need to be re-balanced. How about 100,000 spiders and 30 raptors?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#52  Edited By Justin258

@Jay444111 said:

@Elazul said:

@Jay444111 said:

@believer258 said:

Velociraptors. See, they're extinct, and you didn't state that I had to be surrounded by live raptors. And it's too late to tell me they're alive, this is hypothetical and you should have had all the details in the first place.

@Jay444111 said:

Since you said Velociraptors... I will take them on. In reality, they are NOT the size of Jurassic Park version... in fact, they are more or less angry turkey's... as long as you sleep in a tree each night, I think I could take them on easily...

The spiders, fuck that. Fuck that noise HARD!

Nice job misquoting the movie. The raptors in Jurassic Park are fictional, certainly, but the actual ones definitely weren't docile creatures or even anything you could hope to wrestle yourself or kill with makeshift weapons.

Do you doubt the powers of slamming a animal the size of a medium dog into a jagged rock? Also the fact that they have somewhat long necks means that they are good for grappling and throwing down.

Also. They are more or less angry turkey's! I am not going by that movie but by how big they actually are, they only go up TO YOUR KNEES!!! Killing all of them would be childs play. Seriously. I could send in a five man team of 8 year olds on the island and they could survive against actual real world Velocirapters!

Have you ever disarmed a man of a knife? Tell you what, go do that and then tell me how much fun it would be to try and disarm ten, three-foot tall, lightning-fast, scaly men each armed with two knives that are grafted onto to thier feet, while they're all jumping at you at the same time.

Granted they are quite small, but if you really think you could actually survive an encounter with ten of them while unarmed, let alone easily take them all out yourself, then you're just not being realistic.

Here us the thing, a Raptor has never dealt with a human being before. Or a adaptive one at that. I myself know how to make fires with very little amounts of stuff involved. I doubt they can comprehend fire as well. Also these things are small. I mean, if you punched one in the face you could probably stun the little bastard pretty easily.

Depending on footware you could stomp them to death if you wanted! if you have thick clothing that only makes it more of a ace in the sleeve for you! Once you kill one I imagine that you could probably make a pretty damn good mace with raptor claws and stuff as well. As long as you have fabrice to tie them together you are fine!

I would rather go against ten raptors than a million spiders. At least the raptors one is possible!

All right, you know the part in Jurassic Park 2 where the guy gets eaten by the little dinosaurs when he wanders off alone? A similar thing would happen to you.

Iron_Guard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Iron_Guard

If an American football field has an area of 57,600 sq feet and a Brazilian wandering spider has a leg span of 4 - 5 inches (according to Wikipedia), wouldn't that mean a mere three hundred fifty thousand spiders would completely cover the surface of this hypothetical island?

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Akrid

1 million Brazilian wandering spiders over two football fields... That's like stacks of spiders. One layer = 276000 spiders. With 1 million spiders, that would make a stack of 3.6 spiders - packed leg to leg - over the entire area. Those stacks would each be a little over half a foot high.

So, given the raptors are Jurassic Park stylez, either way you're gonna die. I'd probably prefer to be poisoned than mauled to death by an animal.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Jay444111

@believer258 said:

@Jay444111 said:

@Elazul said:

@Jay444111 said:

@believer258 said:

Velociraptors. See, they're extinct, and you didn't state that I had to be surrounded by live raptors. And it's too late to tell me they're alive, this is hypothetical and you should have had all the details in the first place.

@Jay444111 said:

Since you said Velociraptors... I will take them on. In reality, they are NOT the size of Jurassic Park version... in fact, they are more or less angry turkey's... as long as you sleep in a tree each night, I think I could take them on easily...

The spiders, fuck that. Fuck that noise HARD!

Nice job misquoting the movie. The raptors in Jurassic Park are fictional, certainly, but the actual ones definitely weren't docile creatures or even anything you could hope to wrestle yourself or kill with makeshift weapons.

Do you doubt the powers of slamming a animal the size of a medium dog into a jagged rock? Also the fact that they have somewhat long necks means that they are good for grappling and throwing down.

Also. They are more or less angry turkey's! I am not going by that movie but by how big they actually are, they only go up TO YOUR KNEES!!! Killing all of them would be childs play. Seriously. I could send in a five man team of 8 year olds on the island and they could survive against actual real world Velocirapters!

Have you ever disarmed a man of a knife? Tell you what, go do that and then tell me how much fun it would be to try and disarm ten, three-foot tall, lightning-fast, scaly men each armed with two knives that are grafted onto to thier feet, while they're all jumping at you at the same time.

Granted they are quite small, but if you really think you could actually survive an encounter with ten of them while unarmed, let alone easily take them all out yourself, then you're just not being realistic.

Here us the thing, a Raptor has never dealt with a human being before. Or a adaptive one at that. I myself know how to make fires with very little amounts of stuff involved. I doubt they can comprehend fire as well. Also these things are small. I mean, if you punched one in the face you could probably stun the little bastard pretty easily.

Depending on footware you could stomp them to death if you wanted! if you have thick clothing that only makes it more of a ace in the sleeve for you! Once you kill one I imagine that you could probably make a pretty damn good mace with raptor claws and stuff as well. As long as you have fabrice to tie them together you are fine!

I would rather go against ten raptors than a million spiders. At least the raptors one is possible!

All right, you know the part in Jurassic Park 2 where the guy gets eaten by the little dinosaurs when he wanders off alone? A similar thing would happen to you.

That guy had a gun and didn't use it... he deserved to die for that alone. Also the fact that he didn't even try to defend himself is another thing. It is like he literally wanted to commit suicide by dinosaur. A smart person would KILL any dinosaur they see. If I saw a little bastard like that, you can sure as hell be told that I am going to eat the bastard after I strangle it! If it's buddies show up, I either run or I kick their asses as well!

We are really going into this... aren't we?

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Jay444111: You realize there wereraptors around the size of humans right?

Those were the ones in Jurassic Park.

EDIT: Here's another one, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utahraptor

Some raptors were chicken size, others were fucked up...because dinosaurs are fucking terrifying primordial nightmares.

retrovirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#57  Edited By retrovirus

I'm betting these spiders can't swim very well, just build a raft and anchor it to the island on a bigass rock in the water. No spiders can touch me! Raptors are too smart.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By MikeGosot
@Jay444111: Your comparison with a dog is dumb, since you never had to fight a raptor for your life. The animal is faster than you, they would try to stealthily attack you, the group would gang up on you from all sides, their claws would rip your flesh quickly, they would bite you repetitively, breaking your bones. Smaller dinosaurs that hunted in packs could kill dinosaurs that were much larger than you are. Sure, evidence points that velociraptors didn't hunted on packs, but hey, you're their only meal in there, so i think they would gang up on you, giving you some really bad cuts in the process. Their claws were made to rip the flesh of animals with much thicker skin than yours, so, even if you could kill them all... You would die from blood loss.
Also, that's a fun debate we have here. Sorry if i sound too agressive.
AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By AlexanderSheen

Again, fuck spiders!

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Elazul

@Jay444111: That's fine, if it were possible to start a fire. Remember that you'd be on an island the size of two football fields, meaning that you'd barely have enough time to grab a tree branch before they got to you, let alone kindle and feed a bonfire, wrap it with fabric and fuel and set it alight. Also, I think you're seriously doubting the effect of being attacked en masse. Being rushed by ten guys at once is exponentially less manageable that taking them on one at a time.

And for the record, I do agree that 10 Raptors would be the more survivable option of the two, I just think that you'd be pretty much fucked either way.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#61  Edited By jay_ray

As and pointed out the island would be covered in spiders up to your shins. I would take my chances with the raptors.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Grimhild

I actually kind of like spiders, I used to have a pet tarantula. So really just keeping them away would be the only concern, which would be pretty easy since spiders are pretty reclusive by nature. Then, since we're talking about 8-9 spiders per square foot (1,000,000/115,200), I'd just make some stilts out of some branches to walk around on (assuming I'm not wearing my boots or knee-high chucks like I usually am) and a make a hammock several feet off the ground in the middle of a large ring of fire just off the beach. Then sleep a lot after eating bananas and drinking coconut milk. I'd probably also make a compost pile on the other side of the island to attract other insects, pests and, by extension, the spiders, since they'd be drawn towards their natural prey.

I question the deductive reasoning of those picking the aggressive carnivore that evolved to hunt for prey larger than themselves in packs. But /shrug hypotheticals hehehe.

EDIT:

Also, two football fields isn't very big. A human can cover that distance in around 30 seconds to a minute. There wouldn't really be anywhere to run from the raptors, or have time to prepare for them.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By ripelivejam

would ride the velociraptors to freedom

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Jay444111

@MikeGosot said:

@Jay444111: Your comparison with a dog is dumb, since you never had to fight a raptor for your life. The animal is faster than you, they would try to stealthily attack you, the group would gang up on you from all sides, their claws would rip your flesh quickly, they would bite you repetitively, breaking your bones. Smaller dinosaurs that hunted in packs could kill dinosaurs that were much larger than you are. Sure, evidence points that velociraptors didn't hunted on packs, but hey, you're their only meal in there, so i think they would gang up on you, giving you some really bad cuts in the process. Their claws were made to rip the flesh of animals with much thicker skin than yours, so, even if you could kill them all... You would die from blood loss. Also, that's a fun debate we have here. Sorry if i sound too agressive.

If Hugh Glass can fight a fucking Grizzly Bear, then I can fight ten damn raptors! A grizzly bear is around equal of 100 raptors in terms of difficulty I would determine. A tiny turkey sized dino doesn't even seem as dangerous as a big ass dog. I don't care what you said because those fuckers can be big, tough, and mean. I doubt a raptor could take on a pitbull. Besides, have you seen how small these things are? Like... I could probably walk over one and kill it that way if I had the right boots on.

Don't apologize. This is a versus match! There is no apologizing in here! Again. I still think I could take on a bunch of raptors. Fuck, if I even got a stick I could probably do it easily once I make myself a weapon!

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#65  Edited By OneManX

Raptors, with enough time you can find something to keep them at bay, Spiders, laugh at pointy sticks and shit.

Also If I were to survive, then first thing I am doing, is filling that office up with Spiders and Raptors.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#67  Edited By myniceicelife

raptors. if i could manage to kill one that's food and other stuff that could be used for survival. and if not, at least it would be a quick death.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#68  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

That particular breed of spider is apparently very defensive and venemous, so... yeah, fuck that. I would rather die fighting raptors than die from being covered in a million spiders. At least then they could say that my death was pretty badass, instead of just horrifying.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Jay444111

@Doctorchimp said:

@Jay444111: You realize there wereraptors around the size of humans right?

Those were the ones in Jurassic Park.

EDIT: Here's another one, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utahraptor

Some raptors were chicken size, others were fucked up...because dinosaurs are fucking terrifying primordial nightmares.

The topic specified Velociraptors... those are the chicken ones. The OP can't take that one back. Those ones are easily fightable.

@Elazul said:

@Jay444111: That's fine, if it were possible to start a fire. Remember that you'd be on an island the size of two football fields, meaning that you'd barely have enough time to grab a tree branch before they got to you, let alone kindle and feed a bonfire, wrap it with fabric and fuel and set it alight. Also, I think you're seriously doubting the effect of being attacked en masse. Being rushed by ten guys at once is exponentially less manageable that taking them on one at a time.

And for the record, I do agree that 10 Raptors would be the more survivable option of the two, I just think that you'd be pretty much fucked either way.

How would the dinos know I was there first? I would determine that one would have to swim to shore so I believe I would smell like the ocean to them. Before I start having my man smells make them come calling for their newest dinner. I could probably build a fire. Once I have fire, the forest is going down in a blaze of glorious raptor death. Any of them that remain will hunt for whatever food is left. All I got to do is hide out and or kill them until they get so hungry that they start eating each other. You can also make a torch with wood sap very easily. Trust me, I know.

AckbarTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By AckbarTheGreat

@Jay444111:

Velociraptor literally means quick thief. These little guys are hollow boned and are meant to do three things run fast, jump high, and to kill. By the time you even managed to even hit one you'd probably have two or three on top of you pinning you to the ground. Now I know what you're thinking "I'll just throw them off!" well good luck with that. The sickle shaped claw means that as long as the raptor wants to stay on you it will. Now you have two of these things literally clawing you open while you flail to get them off. More of them will continue to pounce on to what ever exposed body they can get at just to keep you on the ground. Then they start ripping you open and feasting on your delicious innards and that's if they decide to work together. I say this because Raptors probably hunted in groups of 3-4, 6 at most. Which means that there is probably more than one pack on the island. So once they've got you on the ground they'd probably the other group or groups of raptors would probably try to get in on the kill. Thus starting a brutal tug of war with your body and probably causing one of the most gruesome deaths imaginable for a person. I also want you to keep in mind that Velociraptors and most Dromaesaurides were most likely ambush predators. Which means you probably wouldn't even see them until they were on top of you.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Turambar

How would a million spiders even fit on an island of that size.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Jay444111

@AckbarTheGreat: Your just trying to ruin the fun of killing raptors... aren't you!

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#73  Edited By TheFreeMan

Though I disagree with his thoughts on being able to effectively engage a group of raptors in combat, Jay brings up a good idea: if the island is vegetated, like, a forest or something, first thing I'm doing is lighting the whole god damn thing on fire. I'd rather take my chances with a week of no supplies and the heat than either of these choices.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#74  Edited By AngelN7

Man those Raptors with feathers look like crap, fuck scientific accuracy I wouldn't be scared if I saw one of those things they look like giant chickens (of course they have razor sharp claws, very fast and they're hunters) I'll stil pick spiders I'd rather die from poisoning than be eaten alive by 10 of those there's no way you can't fight them plus you really don't know how they'll react that makes them all that much scarier.

AckbarTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By AckbarTheGreat

@Jay444111: As a man going to school for Paleontology I oppose all violence towards dinosaurs!

aznjon12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#76  Edited By aznjon12

I would go with Velociraptors. Those spiders would just be stacked through the roof and who's to say 1 million wouldn't turn into 1.5 million within a week? I'll just like spend a week buried in velociraptor manure and it'll all be good right? If they want to eat me they'll have to eat their own shit or other veloci-shit.

P.S. Eww spiders, gross eww!!!

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#77  Edited By pyromagnestir

Both options sound like almost certain death, but I suppose I'll take my chances with the raptors. 1 million spiders is entirely too many for an island that small.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Elazul

@Jay444111 said:

@Elazul said:

How would the dinos know I was there first? I would determine that one would have to swim to shore so I believe I would smell like the ocean to them. Before I start having my man smells make them come calling for their newest dinner. I could probably build a fire. Once I have fire, the forest is going down in a blaze of glorious raptor death. Any of them that remain will hunt for whatever food is left. All I got to do is hide out and or kill them until they get so hungry that they start eating each other. You can also make a torch with wood sap very easily. Trust me, I know.

It has been pretty conclusively proven that water doesn't mask a human's scent from dogs, so I seriously doubt it would impair a raptor either. Not to mention that all of their other senses are massively hightened to the point that they would easily be alerted by the commotion of you trying to start a fire and build a torch with no tools or equipment. If you really want to make a case for fist-fighting a bunch of angry, super-agile razor-Turkeys in the woods then fine, but face it, the chance of you Macgyver-ing anything to help you do so in the minute or two it for takes them to get to you is exactly zero.

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Ryuku_Ryosake

You have to go with the raptors on this one. That many spiders would literally blanket the island you stand no chance. Also there is nowhere to run from the spiders. They can get you on the beach and they can get you in the trees. A raptor couldn't chase you up a tree so you could hide and scavenge the tree tops to survive. Plus you could probably fashion a spear or bow and arrow while your up there. Also a raptor would probably not attack you on a beach out in open area when it could get easier prey in the forest especially if you have a nice fire going.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#80  Edited By Bigandtasty

I'm pretty bad at spontaneously mathing things out in my head, but wouldn't 1 million spiders easily blanket the entirety of two football fields?

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Jay444111: Of course...but by all means just let him say spider...

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Hunkulese

You can't hide from spiders.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I able to continuously fire pizzas?  In that case I would go with the spiders because I went on the wikipedia page for those spiders and it said that they come out at night.  So Ill just sleep and plan during the daytime and continuously shoot pizza at the spiders at night.  

Rabid619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Rabid619

Raptors.

If I'm gonna die on an island by myself, it's gonna be to motherfucking raptors.

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

A million venomous spiders? Fuck off.

ApeGantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By ApeGantz

A million is a lot bro. I'd take the raptors. Pretty sure I can survive those buggers.

Homer39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#87  Edited By Homer39

All this talk of Velociraptor just makes me want to watch Jurrasic Park. Also I would totally take 10 Rapters over 1 million spiders cause fuck spiders.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#88  Edited By jacksukeru

Spiders.

I'd have a couple of layers of clothes, thick boots and stay by the shoreline for the first couple of hours while the spiders fight it out, might kick a pile of them myself. then I'd start eating the dead spiders. I'd adapt and sleep during the day, be awake during the night, and build a wall of dead spiders between me and the ocean so that I could quickly identify any live ones approaching.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By PixelPrinny

Spiders. I shall add the one million to my ever-growing army of spiders and take over the world!

Bawlsz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Bawlsz

Reading more about the spider, and what I found out is that it's fucking dangerous and 1 million of those pretty large spiders. They hunt in the night on the floor, they don't use webs as typical spiders, also they are one of the most venomous spiders out there and they are pretty aggressive as they tend to bite more than a few times in an attack. If it was couple of dozen of those spiders than perhaps, but a million!? you'd be bathed in spiders and bitten everywhere.

Perhaps the better option would be to skip both those islands and float to a third one, but that'd probably be filled with packs of man-eating baboons or something.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#91  Edited By Trilogy

@AckbarTheGreat said:

Who the hell is that kid? I've been trying to google him but I can't get anything to turn up. I've seen him in so many movies and he's almost always playing the role of the extremely annoying little shit head. I first I thought it was a young Joaquin Phoenix but it isn't. Sure as hell looks like him though.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Jay444111

Wait a second... raptors are HALLOW boned!? Oh... damn... I could probably kill them in a single good hit then. I mean. As long as the skull is hallow enough I could probably rip them up like paper if I got a good hold of them!

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By intro

Raptors, because I feel that spiders everywhere along with their webs would be annoying as fuck. Spiders don't really even scare me, I'm sure raptors I would be scared of lol.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By soldierg654342

Are we talking about real Velociraptors or Jurassic Park doorknob opening 'Raptors? Also, how big is the island?

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#95  Edited By kindgineer

Raptors. I have a hard time fighting something too tiny for me to really do much about. Have you ever watched movies? The person can never escape bugs. They swarm you before you know it, and are generally faster than you. Not to mention, I'd rather get eaten by a Raptor than nibbled at by spiders.

Didn't science just recently reveal Raptors were really small, though?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#96  Edited By musubi

I'd go with the spiders but... a million makes the numbers WAY not in your favor even though raptors are fantastic hunters. At least you would be able to hide from the raptors better. Spiders can pour in through all sorts of tiny cracks.

Dixego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Dixego

Raptors, as studies suggest they were roughly as big as chickens. Easier to avoid and/or kill, even in a group.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#98  Edited By BabyChooChoo

The raptors. Spiders are fucked up.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Terramagi

Raptors.

I will rip their feathers out and wear them as a damn headdress.

theslothking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By theslothking

The raptors. I would tame them, then take them back with me, and then have them kill everyone who put me on the island. Although you could do the same thing with spiders....