Do prices spike during the holidays or do they actually drop?

Ibarguengoytia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ibarguengoytia

I am planning on building this rig http://pcpartpicker.com/guide/XFXscf/tiny-form-huge-power-800-us-budget and I will get some cash around late Nov/early Dec and I am planning when it would be best to buy the parts (have to buy online, domestic prices are ~20% more). Looking at the price trends on PCPartPicker I noticed that not all prices drop around Thanksgiving (Black Friday and Cyber Monday), some actually go down late October and go up during the Holidays.

In Mexico we have something called "Good Weekend" where most big department stores and retailers offer "huge discounts" but only after first inflating the price. Dick moves. For example, last year an iPad 2 sold for about 30 bucks more than the base retail price. Like I said; dick moves.

Have you noticed this as well? When is the best season/time to get the best deals?

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I built my computer last December and don't remember seeing many crazy good deals. I think my graphics card was $20 off its base MSRP but that was really it. It seems like a lot of the really good deals are all claimed before you can even load the page. I have noticed when Amazon has computer part "sales" they do that shit where they spike the price and then drop it to make it look like you're saving a bunch when you actually aren't.

Side note: You might wanna considering getting a slightly better GPU if you can. Something like a 960 or 380 at least. 370 isn't terrible but in an $800 budget you can do better.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah those holiday sales are mostly bullshit. You're better off frequently checking pcpartpicker for deals than waiting for sales.

GreenLighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I was looking for parts I looked at pcpartpicker as well as the BuildaPCSales reddit page. They tend to do a pretty good job aggregating that sort of stuff.

Ibarguengoytia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aw crap, here I was hoping against hope. I'll check the reddit subredit page Thanks duders!