Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

So I've been tweaking some games' .ini files and multiple sources provide instructions for the same fixes to the same names of files, but different file paths.

Example: fixing Enslaved: Odessey to the West's resolution, etc. This site states the proper path to the .ini file is in the user's "my games" folder, while some other instructions (such as forums) state to go use the c:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common path (and the users of the forums report changes with that path). The file names in question for the example game (MonkeyEngine.ini) is present in both of those locations and the instructions from either sources could be followed in both of those files by using the other file path.

So again, the question is, which .ini is the proper one to edit for visual tweaks (resolution, framerate, etc.)?

Thanks

Keirgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Keirgo

I can't comment on this game specifically, but I do know about a similar case with Bethesda games (Skyrim/Fallout), where the .ini file in the game's directory is the original that it uses to generate the one found in your "my games" folder after you launch the game and change settings.

I've had it where if I screwed up a setting I changed, I deleted the .ini file in "my games", then had the game create a "clean" one based on the one found in the game's directory. I also want to say there were some times, mainly with older Bethsoft games like Oblivion, where the game kept overriding your changes to the .ini in "my games", forcing you to edit both settings files to make sure the changes would stick.

I would suggest first making a backup copy of each of the two .ini files, then editing one with the changes you want, testing it out, and if it doesn't work, try the other one, then both if it still wont work. And if you mess something up, simply restore the backups you made.

Hope some of that helped. :)

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@keirgo: Yes, that's a big help! Not just in this specific case, but in helping me understand the nature of the folders! Sweet.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

I always check PCgamingwiki first.

You've also reminded me that I should get around to playing Enslaved.