Looking to buy a new gaming computer

smitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey y'all, recently I've decided to get a gaming computer but I have no idea which one to go for rip, I am not knowledgeable when it comes to computers at all so I need your help. I'm looking for something not too expensive ($800-$1,300 is the budget I have in mind) just something that will run games pretty well and will last me a good few years ! If it helps at all (again no clue when it comes to computers), I'm looking for something that can handle the obvious mainstream games; Minecraft, Sims, etc, but I also like to play League of Legends, Apex Legends, and am looking into getting Destiny 2. So something that could handle those games is perfect. Thanks for all of your guys help !

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

What resolution?

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

This site is useful for this question: https://www.logicalincrements.com/

You can see choices for different budget levels, you can also hover over the components to see more info and click to get to store pages.

smitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By smitten

@facelessvixen: 1920 x 1080 preferably, as far as I've been able to find out that's fairly standard but I'm honestly not looking for something super fancy so that should work !

smitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forcen: Thank you ! I'll be sure to check it out

Keirgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Keirgo

You might also check NZXT BLD program, they have an easy step-by-step process to figure out what kind of PC you will need for the games you want to play, at different budgets. :)

Edit: Link https://www.letsbld.com/

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you looking to buy or build, buckaroo? I built my first PC ever last month with no prior knowledge. I just watched a lot of Linus Tech Tips videos in the weeks I was saving up dough.

smitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

smitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@regularassmilk: I won't lie I'm pretty nervous about the prospect of building my own PC so preferably I'm looking to buy haha, though I am definitely open to building my own. Everywhere I look people say it's fairly easy so I've been warming up to the idea

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By regularassmilk

@smitten: Here's what I can tell you good buddy. I've always, always wanted a PC but have always been a console kiddie. A few months ago I started reading about building PCs, but mostly ended up watching YouTube videos. I used a build guide on PC Part Picker as an outline. PC Part Picker is a super cool site that is extremely handy for a novice--like me. If anything in your build is even potentially incompatible, it'll tell you in what is very nearly plain english.

Anyway, I didn't plan on tweaking the parts, but did near the end to strike a middle ground in terms of price point and performance.

I ordered the parts......they arrived by mail......and I unpacked them.......and honestly it was intimidating at first. If it's your first time I don't know how you could avoid being overwhelmed by it because there are so many things to connect and set up and safely screw down--oh boy. I also was super concerned with breaking stuff, even just by touching it. I didn't accidentally drop anything but it turns out that PC parts are pretty tough. The only part that seemed mysterious and fragile was the CPU itself.

But it wasn't a big deal. The part that I thought would be scary (installing the components on my motherboard) was super easy. It was routing all the cables and plugging them in inside the case correctly that was intimidating. It wasn't hard, but seeing all of those different connectors...well, it was just a lot to take in. But it was easy peasy, no kidding. From what I've read, you do typically pay an extra toll for getting a pre-built PC (and for worse parts to boot), and you might lose access to things you'd be able to otherwise customize on a custom PC.

For peace of mind, there's a glut of well-produced and carefully narrated videos about every step of the PC building process, and places like the Tom's Hardware forums are chock full of super knowledgeable and very nice people.

In the end my advice would be to do it, only because you can, and you'll be proud of yourself. and it's fun! If you do end up deciding to build, DM me at any time with questions or concerns. I certainly don't know everything, BUT I did just do it, and at the very least I can help point you to a possible solution or a better resource.

My final bit of sage advice: watercooled CPUs look cool, but they're not all they're cracked up to be. You can spend $80 bucks and get a fan that keeps your CPU measurably cooler than a water cooler, and is even quieter than a water cooler. Crazy, right? It's true, I promise.

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By regularassmilk

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Here's my PC! I did pay a little extra for a nice case but I wanted to go full zoomer I guess and get the RGB fans. It's my first PC, so I wanted something flashy and fun, y'know?

smitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@regularassmilk: That looks pretty nice ! And yea that makes sense, thank you so much for your input it makes me feel a lot better about building my own pc ! I'll definitely look into PC Part Picker