How has your experience been with Wonder Trade?

• 95 results
Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Poll How has your experience been with Wonder Trade? (251 votes)

I've gotten some interesting pokemon, it's pretty cool. 53%
I've gotten nothing but level 3 Weedles, fuck this feature. 16%
I haven't used it. 31%

For the uninitiated, Wonder Trade is a new online feature that lets you select a pokemon to trade, and then randomly hooks you up with someone else and has you trade with them. It's an interesting way of getting rid of pokemon without just releasing/deleting them.

Internet opinion on Wonder Trade seems really mixed, so I thought I'd try to get some numbers. Personally, my very first trade got me a Kadabra (which instantly became an Allakazam) so my introduction to the feature was pretty excellent. I also got a Croagunk, a pokemon I'm very fond of but never found in the wild, and a french Haunter, who became a french Gengar.

Of course, intermixed in all that were tons of caterpies and bidoofs.

I recently threw a bunch of level 1 squirtles and tyranitaurs into Wonder Trade, and it's a good feeling. It's like being some kind of weird secret Santa to random strangers, especially when they message back a thanks.

• 
Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's the most hilarious part of Y for me. I've gotten Luvdiscs, Japanese Pokes...and crappy bugs.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I got a Ditto from a Japanese player, so that was pretty useful. I'll probably spend some time using this feature while watching a game or something to try and pad out my Pokedex and I'll be pleasantly surprised if I get anything besides a Bidoof or Metapod.

Forderz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I got a Meowstic with a rock helmet for a lvl 1 Eevee with shitty IV's.

Solid.

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had no idea what the feature was and I traded away a lvl 20 Eevee I had just caught. Was expecting it'd give me an option to set up a "WTB [Pokemon]" but instead I received no confirmation and that Eevee was gone. Not a huge deal. Went and got another one pretty quick but it would have been nice if it had explained it to me before hand (a prominent problem with the game, if you ask me).

I kept rolling on the pokemon I got from that trade and got a bunch of turds including a lvl 4 Japanese ponsage or whatever the green monkey thing is called. I actually felt bad trading that one cause it was so lame but I ended up getting a lame pokemon in return as well.

*shrug*

It's a neat idea though, that's for sure. Also I can't really answer the poll, I got butts for pokemon but I don't think the feature is bad... so yeah, no option for me.

CynicalBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CynicalBuzzard

I have not done it yet, but I am open to trying it.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got a few ok ones and a lot of repeats. I like it.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I hadn't tried it until I saw this thread. Threw an Abra out there and got a Skitty. That seems super cool. I feel it's a better way to actually get a trade done than accepting the random trade invites that end up being people begging for your starter

Rabid619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had some good luck. First time I did it a tossed in a level 10 Skiddo and got back a level 59 Dragon/Dark pokemon from Japan. It's so high level I won't even be able to use it for a while, but was a cool surprise considering I had no idea what Wonder Trade even was.

Wonder Trade is a really damn good idea though, once I'm deeper in the game I'll toss some actually decent stuff into it so I'm not the only one who benefits. Would LOVE to see a Ditto come through.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

That seems possibly very cool and kinda fun, I'll have to try it out.

NeVeRMoRe666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love it. So addicting. I've only had a good experience with it so far as I'm still pretty on so every pokemon I get is new. I just feel bad that I'm just sending Pikachu's into the trade but hey, I figure, a person can't really be that mad if they see a Pikachu!

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

It sounds interesting, but I really haven't dabbled with it as of yet.

SpaceKangaroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#12  Edited By SpaceKangaroo

GTS is crazy enough. Someone gave me an Yveltal for a Scyther :p

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I gave a spare bulbasaur, got another luvdisc.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

@rabid619: That would be me. I was surprise to see a ditto come from a random trade or to see anything good from it. I would still recommend not using it too much and do your best to trade with friends.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I received a Bulbasaur and a Squirtle, which were nice surprises. I put them back into wonder trade for someone else, though. My best trade was a Vivillon for a Gengar. I have yet to get some crazy level 50 pokemon.

Once I have a good variety of strong pokemon, I want to put them in and see what I get. Hopefully kids will get over flooding it with Bunnelby.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bog said:

I received a Bulbasaur and a Squirtle, which were nice surprises. I put them back into wonder trade for someone else, though. My best trade was a Vivillon for a Gengar. I have yet to get some crazy level 50 pokemon.

Once I have a good variety of strong pokemon, I want to put them in and see what I get. Hopefully kids will get over flooding it with Bunnelby.

And simisage, god damn the simisages

D_train_lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you are a Saint good sir I would love receive a starter from any previous game

D_train_lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think once I get to victory road imma throw some of those pokemon in the wonder trader and hope some low level trainer gets them to help them power through the game

marmalade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By marmalade

@Moonshadow101 said:

and a french Haunter, who became a french Gengar.

Would anyone mind drawing their interpretation of French Gengar for me, s'il vous plaît?

Gengar is one of my all time favourites; to see a French Gengar would make me smile from ear to ear.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By Phatmac

Got a Gengar for a weedle so I'd say I lucked out.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Quid_Pro_Bono

Oh man it's awesome. I got that crazy new pumpkin pokemon which instantly evolved into a Gourgeist, a level 40 japanese beartic, a lvl 39 japanese sneazel, all kinds of stuff. I freakin love it. It's fun to just keep trading the same crappy wonder trade pokemon until you get something awesome - it feels like that guy who craigslist traded a nail to a house or whatever it was

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NegativeCero

Just tried it out and got an Espurr from a Japanese player for a male Combee. I like to think the nickname for it is dirty. And my second trade, I ended up trading an Azurill ... and got an Azurill. Though my Azurill was named Blue ballz, so I hope the guy who got it appreciates that.

So, yeah. Wonder Trade is pretty amazing. Secretly hoping for a Dratini in the one of them.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Accidentally traded off my pikachu because it didn't really tell me what the feature was. Whoooops. Wasn't hard to catch another one though.

I've got a few pokemon that are japanese, spanish, and french which is cool, but its all junk pokemon. The game did just come out though so its not like people have had time to get anywhere, i'm sure the feature will become more interesting over time.

t3hgam3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I submitted a bidoof named "Doof-doof" and got a bunnelby named "thanks barak."

So... pretty good so far.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By crusader8463

I hate the idea of trading pokemon. I grew up with the cartoon so in my mind I always depict each pokemon you catch as being like your friend. The idea that you have hundreds of these things in some hibernation ball stored digitally on a PC somewhere and can just trade them off for others like a commodity just always strikes me as being a super dark thing to do. I know it's dumb, but I just can't shake that feeling and every time I do it I feel really dirty. Something like this just makes it that much worse. It's like running a Pokemon breeding mill.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was fun just sending poorly named pokemon to other people. The GTS is where it's at though, got all of the gen 1/gen 6 starters just putting up Houndours.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Capum15
@willthemagicasian said:

It was fun just sending poorly named pokemon to other people. The GTS is where it's at though, got all of the gen 1/gen 6 starters just putting up Houndours.

Oh wow, how quickly can you hit the GTS? Would love to get my Turtwig / Mudkip / Cyndaquil team going again (if dudes have them, of course) when I get the game. Probably my favorite squad of dudes.

@t3hgam3r said:

I submitted a bidoof named "Doof-doof" and got a bunnelby named "thanks barak."

So... pretty good so far.

That's pretty great.

Wonder Trade sounds fun if you're not trying to be too serious about it.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@capum15: Out of the box, duder. It's just part of the online options now. Accessible from anywhere on the lower screen, which is super rad.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ervonymous

It's fun, I was trading away my excess Honedges and got a Gengar with a good nature to boot. Mostly Pansears and Scatterbugs though.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Quid_Pro_Bono

@capum15: They've made some serious leaps with online functionality in general. You can chat with people on your friend's list during battles and trades! You can start battles and trades from anywhere! There's little buffs you can give other trainers that last for a few minutes with effects like + attack power or + capture rate! You can "Nice" people and it sends a bunch of stars on their lower screen!

Nintendo's online policies are by NO MEANS perfect but X/Y, even with it's little idiosyncrasies, feels like a huge step up

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I trade shit and I get shit. But that's ok, it's kinda fun really.

My biggest concern is getting hacked Pokemon. You can make them on your iPhone now and transfer them to your 3DS... any level or stats. I'd rather have a 20% complete Pokedex with 100% real Pokemon. Hope it doesn't fuck the tournaments

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#33  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I just got Japanese Torchic, so I'd say that things are pretty alright.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By Hunter5024

I tossed out some spare Fennekins and Tyrunts. Got two Flabebes, a Simisage, and a couple other dumb pokemon. Even though I haven't gotten much out of it, it seems kind of interesting. It's definitely addicting, that's for sure.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Just got a level 30 Ditto from Japan for a level 9 Pansage from Japan. I'm cool with that.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I haven't got anything good but I'm really enjoying it, where's that option? I got a Caterpie which I needed, so that was cool.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#37  Edited By EarlessShrimp

I traded my Azurill and got a level 4 pikachu. FUCK THIS THING.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

Traded my Froakie and got a level 30 Masquerain, and turned that around for a level 48 Ditto.

Also traded my Lv 13 Vivilion and got a Bulbasaur.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By Flappy

I managed to get a Noibat, Bulbasaur AND a Zoroark today.

I turned that Zoruark into a Spanish Ditto and I used this as a means to get the rest of the starters. Thank you Based Wonder Trade!

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't release pokemon anymore, I throw em through wonder trade. Handed out a ton of claunchers after looking for one with a good nature. Hopefully I made some Y owners happy

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pandabear: I thought I was reading something about Nintendo making a statement that any hacked pokemon that are uploaded to their servers may "mysteriously" disappear?

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pandabear: I thought I was reading something about Nintendo making a statement that any hacked pokemon that are uploaded to their servers may "mysteriously" disappear?

I sincerely hope this is true....

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Akyho

I hate the idea of trading pokemon. I grew up with the cartoon so in my mind I always depict each pokemon you catch as being like your friend. The idea that you have hundreds of these things in some hibernation ball stored digitally on a PC somewhere and can just trade them off for others like a commodity just always strikes me as being a super dark thing to do. I know it's dumb, but I just can't shake that feeling and every time I do it I feel really dirty. Something like this just makes it that much worse. It's like running a Pokemon breeding mill.

Sorry? I cant hear you!? Too much noise from my pokemon, I have 4 Squirtle's! 6 Bulbasaurs! 3 Charmanders! and 5 Tyrunts! Still to let my Ditto fuck the shit out of a Chespin, Finnikin and a Froakie!!

Yeah. When I got a Bulbasaur through wonder trade it set me down a dark path...I kept that Bulbasaur....but I went on the GTS and kept tradeing up on pokemon untill i got starters then more starters for trash pokemon. Until i could trade for a ditto THEN I PRINTED MY OWN POKEMON CURRENCY IN STARTERS MUHA HA HA HA AHA H!

Now I have done It I don't know what to get......

To follow onto your feelings. There is one pokemon you get through story and I think only one through story. The person that gives you it goes "it has a bond with you, may you be companions for ever and work with each other!" while I am thinking "I could trade him on the market for big things.......but Id feel bad..cos the story made it sound noble it joining me...Id be a bad person by selling it off.

So I have to keep it....dosnt stop me from letting my ditto fuck it......Pokemon is a fucked up game once you think about it.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pandabear: Check out a quote from this article:

Poké Transporter is also reported to be able to recognize if a Pokémon has been hacked or generated through the use of the various "Create Your Own Pokémon" apps floating around out there, only allowing legitimate, game-captured monsters to make the journey to the Bank. (Sorry hackers.)

So, it sounds like they got their shit together on the hacked Pokemon. Time will tell if that's actually true or not, though.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pandabear: Check out a quote from this article:

Poké Transporter is also reported to be able to recognize if a Pokémon has been hacked or generated through the use of the various "Create Your Own Pokémon" apps floating around out there, only allowing legitimate, game-captured monsters to make the journey to the Bank. (Sorry hackers.)

So, it sounds like they got their shit together on the hacked Pokemon. Time will tell if that's actually true or not, though.

I have faith in Nintendo to put time and effort into this as they do run international tournaments with cash and prizes... so there could be legal recourse for people who lose to cheaters. But on the other hand their online efforts are pretty hit and miss. But I live in hope haha and time will tell

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By kishinfoulux

Definitely more good then bad. And even when you get bad you just trade it right back and get something else and keep going until you get something you like.

I'd love to get an Abra. Things are fucking rare. I did get this level 40 Dark/Ice cat looking pokemon who's name I don't know because the dude named it "Dagger". Can't figure out what it's actual name is. >_>

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#47  Edited By ajamafalous

I wish there were some type of tiering system so that you couldn't get a Weedle for a Blastoise, for example.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#48  Edited By shinboy630

@kishinfoulux: I have an abra I have no need of if you are interested. I don't really need anything particular in return. PM me, yo.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just put up a Lv 1 Skitty to try it out and got a Lv 2 Japanese Caterpie, so not really that useful. But I see no reason to not use this feature instead of releasing Pokemon, you can always get lucky.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was trading out a bunch of Sneasels while trying to breed one with a jolly nature. Got a Fennekin with pokerus in return!