Anyone picking this game up?

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Slaps2

I'd kinda like to know what other people think of this Rain World. I really don't understand it yet. It might even be more obtuse and unforgiving than Dark Souls. I've read reviews by professional reviewers who are refusing to finish it because they can't, but at the same time they note how beautiful and well animated it is. I can see some of this game's shittier parts already, but I'm no where near giving up already. I'm only an hour in.

http://rainworldgame.com/images/anims/5.gif

http://rainworldgame.com/images/anims/3.gif

http://rainworldgame.com/images/anims/4.gif

http://rainworldgame.com/images/anims/1.gif

I can't imagine anyone looking at these images and not being intrigued. Also, if anyone knows, can you please explain to me how to use the karma system to open doors and shit?

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I really love the look of this, but I also read about the gameplay potentially being frustrating as hell, so I think I'll give the game a pass for now at least. I'd rather struggle with Snake Pass, which I bought instead yesterday and 'am having a great time with.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

#3  Edited By L33T_HAXOR

I played about an hour of it last night, it isn't at all what I expected (for some reason I assumed it would be an easy puzzle-platformer). The art-style is gorgeous, but I don't really think I like it and I have a lot of other stuff to play... Its really easy to die and I have damn hard time getting anywhere. I'm still not sure where I'm supposed to go, so I'm just kind of filling in the map aimlessly... But if I die without going into hibernation, all my progress gets lost, so I'm going nowhere fast. It does seem neat, but its not where I want to spend my time right now.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Yah I thought this was something completely different than what several reviews revealed it to actually be. On top of that most word of mouth I've heard has been "looks great, doesn't play all that fun."

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: @l33t_haxor: @glots: I feel like this game could so easily be fixed with a patch. The gameplay and platforming is a little frustrating, but the animation is like nothing I've ever seen before and if only it didn't have such a big penalty for death, it would be a lot more palatable. I bet review scores would be significantly better if it just didn't send you back multiple checkpoints Dark Souls style.

I'm assuming the game is 10-15 hours long and if so, no patch can fix the fact that the game is to damn simple for $20 and 15 hours. Not to mention the fact that literally nothing of the game is explained. If only there were also a how to play screen in the options menu, which is a very odd thing to want in a game that isn't straight out of 1985. This has got to be the first game I've ever described as too simple and too obtuse in the same paragraph.

The best question is... Why am I so fascinated by this game like I haven't been by a game in a long time despite every reviewer and my better judgement saying that it's complete bullshit?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Reminds me heavily of cinematic puzzle-platformers like Another World, Flashback, Heart of Darkness and Abe's Oddyssey/Exoddus. Very deliberate animations and specific controls with a lot of trial and error gameplay. I like these kinds of games though. Only played it for like 30 minutes but my main problem has only been that while the pixel art is beautiful, it's pretty tough seeing the items that you can pick up on the ground. Some kind of prompt when you get near them would be helpful, but then again maybe that goes against the spirit of the game. They are very hard to see because they blend in the environment so much.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magmamud: Are you playing on the PS4? I have it on PC and I'm pretty close to me screen. Haven't been having a problem personally, but I can see it being an issue. I have 20/20 vision and all the shit is pretty small. Anyone who's color blind is probably fucked too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slaps2: Playing on PC. I'm using my TV as the screen. I'm not very far away from it but that might be the issue. I'll maybe try cranking up the brightness and see if that helps some. This is a problem that I've noticed with other games though with text and stuff being super tiny.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the cool part is trying to survive in this world with its strange ecology. Like figuring out what the plants and creatures do, how they react to each other, and all that cool non-scripted stuff. The problem is that its kind of at odds with the metroidvania part, where you want to explore and go somewhere. Every area is gated by rank(1-5 I think) which only goes up by both eating enough and then sleeping. But if you die it goes back down. So on one hand the randomness is cool and leads to exciting moments. On the other hand, you get in these shitty cycles of dying to these things that you can't really fight. Plant don't always respawn and or the bats you eat will move. On top of that the controls can be finicky, like jumping at an angle or charge jumping in a rush. Its all pretty fucked up.

But I really dig it. Escaping all sorts of horror is extremely satisfying and tense. The scale of the game seems pretty huge and the variety is pretty interesting. Scare monsters with some plants. Dip others in water to make them edible. Even just watching the lizards take your body back to home is interesting. Its a really cool game that I can totally see why people wont like.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But I really dig it. Escaping all sorts of horror is extremely satisfying and tense. The scale of the game seems pretty huge and the variety is pretty interesting. Scare monsters with some plants. Dip others in water to make them edible. Even just watching the lizards take your body back to home is interesting. Its a really cool game that I can totally see why people wont like.

Honestly, I find myself wanting to defend the fuck out of this game for exactly those reasons. It's incredibly unforgiving but I don't really find that big enough reason for the super low review scores. It's kinda sad to see a game this artistic (both visually and thematically) be panned like this. And no reviewer should ever write something about a game they haven't finished. If they suck this badly, perhaps they should hand it off to someone else at the office.

hankrazorbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hankrazorbeard

Rain World Quick Look incoming.

I hope whoever is covering it has played a decent amount, this game could be easily dismissed without a few hours playtime to learn its systems and even then, an FAQ might be required to figure out some of it.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone here also play Feist? Seems kinda similar but more forgiving.

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea I've already picked up the game after reading reviews and despite the inherent difficulty of it. I am pretty much digging it and the seeing the changing landscapes is really fun.