I hate multiplayer games. Should I get this?

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Ok, hate is a strong word but pretty much all multiplayer games I've tried (mostly FPS) I have quit playing relatively soon. Mostly because I don't have the time to invest to keep up with the rest so I inevitably end up sucking and losing a lot. And, well, losing all the time just isn't fun, no matter how you look at it.

This game, however, has me very interested. It looks like something that could be fun even if you're not scoring.

Anyone else in the same boat who has actually tried this game? Is it still fun to play even if you can't invest the time to be all that good at it?

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I don't /believe/ there are any weird unlocks or progression system that can make other players who devote more time have access to stuff newbies can't have yet.

twigger89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I just bought this game yesterday and I love it. Granted I am also the guy who played dota2 for a couple of years and only stopped because of the time commitment was too much in my senior year. This game has a huge skill ceiling and the teams are small enough that you sucking with most likely cause your team to lose. The matches are short and there doesn't seem to be much shit talking but if losing a lot frustrates you and you are generally bad at moving up a skill curve then I highly suggest you skip this game. My 2 cents.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Anyone else in the same boat who has actually tried this game? Is it still fun to play even if you can't invest the time to be all that good at it?

This game is pretty crazy and really fun. I suck at it but I really enjoy RL everytime I play it.

However, if you really hate multiplayer, don't play it. You can sort of create your own "single player campaign" by creating a league with NPCs, but it's not as fun as the multiplayer.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Strife777

The game doesn't require any investment on your part. There's no items or abilities to unlock so it's purely based on skill. Matchmaking seems to be fair for the most part too. It won't require you to dedicate a bunch of time to it.

If you're interested, you should definitely give it a try. I've personally kind of burned out on it, but I had fun with it.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's relatively easy to just pick up and play, I'd say - it's easy to get the hang of it enough to not feel like a burden to your team, anyway.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

You can totally just screw around and have fun. And if you screw around for, let's say, half an hour a day, every day, you get pretty good at it. And then you find yourself playing a match at 2 in the morning. Holy crap, my team mate is dogshit! I could've totally scored that goal if the guy slammed the ball into the corner, I was waiting in the center! Holy shit, that fucker blew me up! What the fuck, who was the goalkeeper?! 4-0?! What??! One more game you fuckers. No, same players. Same players. Ready up Smoke_King_420. Ready up. Come on! Come on!! Oh you piece of shit. He left. Smoke King left, no reason to play this anymore.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

I don't care what you say, you should get this game.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

Look at it as a play by play game, even if you're not winning the matches you'll appreciate all your minor successes i think.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ShaggE

Despite the huge skill ceiling, it takes maybe an hour to be competent as long as you run the tutorials and have the restraint to play D and not chase the ball everywhere. Hell, playing D period puts you above a lot of players. Sometimes you'll get crushed, but even that can be fun in this game since it's easy to see how and what things went wrong.

Players tend to be pretty understanding, too. You'll own-goal or whiff a shot/block every now and then, but outside of a couple of sarcastic "Thanks!" and "Wow!"s, people usually don't care. I've seen very few assholes.

I think this is one of the top games I'd recommend to people who dislike multiplayer.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kazona: Awesome, hope you like it! (especially since now I'll feel bad if you don't, haha)

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Insectecutor

I'd recommend the tutorial and a kick about with bots to get the feel, then jump into unranked. Widen up the FOV to around 100 so you can follow what the other players are doing, conserve your boost and pick your moments. Some people like to rebind the handbrake and roll to a shoulder button so it doesn't fuck with the boostings and the jumpings.

@sin4profit said:

Look at it as a play by play game, even if you're not winning the matches you'll appreciate all your minor successes i think.

This is so true.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@insectecutor: I might actually do that as I have just finished two matches against bots and I can already tell that having A being both jump and roll is likely to screw me over.

I'll stick to default for now until I'm sure but this seems like a good change.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Im kinda the same with multiplayer games.

I've had Rocket league since launch(free through PS+ though), played it 2/3 times the first week and never touched it again :') Same goes for the ps3 one btw, still amazed that didn't get as popular as this.

.....It does control like a goddamn dream though!......Oh man, maybe I should get back into it.......but....nah dont think I'll manage to get back into it, I'm strangely enthralled by Devils Third right now and then MgsV+Mad Max coming very very soon which I'm both also very interested in.. and maybe some vectrex games coming later this month and then work also goes on....yep, too many other interesting things atm.

I hope you'll fare better :)