Hooking up my Sega CD so I can finally play Snatcher

Bluesuiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I've had this sega CD for awhile, I don't know which version it is but I've bought a few cables to hook it up to my TV, and not a single one of them work. I didn't realize there was such a disparity between versions of sega CDs. Does anyone know what type of cable I need for this? I'm pretty sure I remembered hooking it up with a cord that attached to the s-video/microphone looking plug but I'm really not sure anymore.

I've had a repro of Snatcher I've been wanting to play but can't do that until I figure out what cable I need. Any help would be super appreciated. Or if you have any Sega CD suggestions, I think I only have this, Hook, and Street Sharks

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#2 fisk0  Moderator

I think the Sega CD version of Silpheed is an amazing shoot 'em up, with a really fascinating use of FMV for the backgrounds, as well as a cool hybrid soundtrack using both the Genesis FM synthesizer and CD audio.

Bluesuiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the suggestion, I haven't heard the name Sipheed in a decade. I'm prob gonna check it out

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee847d9468df
deactivated-5ee847d9468df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What cables did you get before?

I don't remember the Sega CD requiring any additional cables beyond the power supply and a couple of optional composite cables for separate CD audio.

EDIT: Oh, you mean the Genesis. I don't think the first model supports S-Video. So you just have to get a composite cable like this:

https://www.amazon.com/product/dp/B002FY0CM0/

If you want stereo audio from the Genesis itself, you need to use the 3.5mm port on the front.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By csl316

Silpheed's great, with some great tunes. Sol-Feace has some kick ass music, as well.

Sonic CD is a pretty easy recommendation, I think, although the style leans toward exploration more than any of the Genesis games.

Eternal Champions. The Sega CD versions had a ton more stuff. Those finishing moves are still kind of amazing.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Forgot they were 3 variations of sega genesis to sega cd combinations depending on which model of each.

Anyway found a website that looks pretty comprehensive of this particular setup with directions on how-to connect and model numbers of ac adapters. Hopefully that helps!

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If you are into JRPGs, the original Lunar and Lunar 2 are very good. Shining Force CD is also good. I remember Wing Commander being a decent console port for the time, though I doubt it ages well. Dark Wizard is an interesting Strategy game.