Recommendations for amateur soda drinking simulation games?

kuiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

As the Giant Bomb community is home to many amateur soda drinkers, I'm hoping that some of you can help me find a suitable game.

I've been an amateur soda drinker for many years, and I'm looking for games that can allow me to experience amateur soda drinking. While I understand that there are many people who appreciate Soda Drinker Pro for its ability to simulate the professional soda-drinking experience, this doesn't really appeal to me. Playing Soda Drinker Pro as an amateur soda drinker is sort of like being an amateur automobile driver watching Formula 1 racing: the race cars driven by professional drivers on race tracks don't really represent the experience that I, as an amateur, experience when sitting behind the wheel of a Subaru Outback.

Other games that I've tried:

• Pepsi Invaders - disappointingly, the gameplay does not involve any consumption of soda in either a professional or amateur capacity.
  • Soda Dungeon - this is another game that, like Soda Drinker Pro, might appeal to professional soda drinkers (who necessarily consume soda in the pursuit of career goals), but it does not really appeal to me as an amateur soda drinker, who simply enjoys consuming soda for recreation. The gameplay experience of drinking soda to assist in the pursuit of the 100,000 gold coins needed to purchase a more potent soda does not really reflect the way that I engage with soda as an amateur. (I simply consume soda for the pleasure of it, and it is rare for me to ever spend more than $2 for a bottle of soda.)
  • OnlyCans Thirst Date - while I appreciated the soda theming of many of the game's cans, OnyCans Thirst Date does not actually allow you to experience the consumption of soda. Additionally, I am not a big fan of body horror, and found some of the cans offputting.
  • Superliminal - while this game contains a large number of soda-related achievements, I was disappointed to learn that none of them actually involve drinking soda. In fact, many of the soda-related activities in this game are directly contrary to the way that I engage with soda as an (amateur) soda drinker, like taking a soda can from a vending machine and placing it directly into the recycle bin without consuming its contents. (Talk about putting the cart before the horse: while I certainly support recycling, obtaining a can of soda from a vending machine only to place it into the trash without consuming its contents is an incredibly wasteful activity, and not the kind of behavior that I would want to endorse or engage in, even in a simulated fashion.)
  • Pokemon Red - this game contains vending machines that allow you to purchase soda pop, and it also contains a charming quest that can be resolved by giving soda pop to a thirsty NPC to progress the game's story. Additionally, there is an optional sidequest where soda pop can be bartered to obtain an item from a child character, which really speaks to my experience as a young amateur soda drinker when I might barter for soda with classmates during lunchtime. Unfortunately, the game does not actually allow the player to consume soda; apparently, in the world of Pokemon Red, soda is a drink only fit to be consumed by the various (non-human) creatures that inhabit this world.
  • Pokemon Blue: I have also discovered that there is a game in the Pokemon franchise titled "Pokemon Blue" which similarly offers the ability to purchase soda, but I have not yet played this game to see if it offers more soda-drinking options than Pokemon Red. Additionally, this game has proved expensive to acquire, with a new copy costing upwards of $3,500 on eBay. I've found several used copies that are considerably cheaper, but I prefer not to purchase used games as they do not directly support the game's developer.
swthompson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By swthompson

You may want to investigate Breakdown on the Xbox, which is primarily a first person food eating and soda drinking simulator. After-effects may arise within the game, which is inevitable when dealing with an amateur stomach.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

You can consume soda as you go about your other business in Stardew Valley. Unfortunately you won't get the immersion of the first person perspective but it's probably fairly reflective of how you would consume soda during the day if you were occupied with other things (like farming).

HeyItsDale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@swthompson: I'm glad someone else immediately brought up Breakdown. That was some top tier soda drinking and hamburger eating

UranalTruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metal Gear Solid 4 has a soda drinking monkey.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had no idea this was such a wide genre.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Thread of the month

WulfBane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By WulfBane

The Fallout franchise does include Nuka-Cola throughout. Fallout 4 even had a DLC pack that allowed you to venture to Nuka-World, an amusement park themed around the carbonated beverage.

However, there is one aspect of consuming Nuka-Cola that may jeopardize its status as an amateur soda drinking activity. Namely you do earn compensation in the form of a fungible token. The Bottle Cap removed is the primary form of currency in the wasteland of the 23rd century. Now it is a relatively small return, similar to finding a dollar bill popping out when you open a can (but this time you can still drink the contents) and it is unlikely that you can declare Nuka-Cola quaffing as your primary occupation, so perhaps it isn’t enough to elevate one to a professional status.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Onemanarmyy

You definitly want to check out the Rollercoaster tycoon games to see some amateur drinking in action. These poor souls can't even keep it in their stomach most of the time.

It could also help as an amateur to look up to a real professional soda drinker. Commander Keen drinks that stuff constantly and combines it with candies, lollipops and the tears of his enemies to make sure he can keep it all down. Watching him in action throughout his many games should give you enough footage to learn from.

Avatar image for mrmckrinkledink
MrMcKrinkledink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This is an incredible thread and i am blessed to have read it

tronrad9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uranaltruce: I also came here to say that Metal Gear Solid 4 features a monkey who is addicted to soda and highly curious about smoking cigarettes as well.

tronrad9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 4 has a vending machine with tap sodas that offer 10 SP to the drinker.

PeezMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By PeezMachine

@onemanarmyy: Speaking of Apogee joints, let's take a look at the original 2D Duke Nukem (or Duke Nukum if that's how you roll). Sure, Duke can just pick up the soda like an amateur, but he can also shoot the soda, causing it to rapidly ascend into the heavens. Duke can snag the soda like a pro before it escapes for BONUS POINTS. Best of both worlds.

Lab392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Half Life

El_Blarfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By El_Blarfo

For some historical cowboy soda drinking, you can chug health tonics and booze in RDR2, set before the advent of modern carbonation processes. Informative!

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Just remembered they added soda vending machines into The Sims 4 and it includes possibly one of the most amateur of all soda drinking moves, trying to get a stuck drink out of the vending machine and dying by having it topple over.

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yakuza 0 has literal drinkable Mountain Dew