Soma Discussion Thread (Spoilers). Mini-series live-action thing is out (Finished).

• 72 results
Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey all, figured I'd kind some kind of discussion thread going on about Soma. Seeing as we're all probably working through the game, just stick to using spoiler tags for now. Games has been out for long enough, the thread is marked as a spoiler thread, don't worry about this anymore.

Anyway, here's my first thing (super early game).

When you get to the comms centre in Upsilon, just give some of the other stations a whirl to contact them before contacting Lambda. Not that anyone will pick up or anything.

Edit 1: Hey, so it turns out that Depth (or whatever the live-action stuff was meant to be called) is not a film, but rather a series of mini episodes. Thanks to @atwa for bringing this to our attention. Also, despite being in the ARG and being uploaded by Frictional, they are calling this an 'inspired by Soma' series. So, take it as non-canon I guess. Also, game is pretty short and has been out for a week now, so forget about the tags now. Thread is marked as a spoiler thread anyway.

Edit 2: Hey, so it seems like the release schedule is a daily thing on this. Yay.

Edit 3: Another day, another transmission. This one focusses more on Golaski.

Edit 4: Another part. Pretty obvious now that these are being presented out of sequence.

Edit 5: Things, uh, happen in this part. I'd say that the mini-series has a wrong interpretation of WAU, but then again, we have no idea what drove Akers to do the things he did.

Edit 6: I know that noone is probably watching these with me because the thread is far from the front page, but whatever, I'll edit away. Might bump the thread when the series seems to be over.

Anyway, this is labelled NSFW for a few pretty good reasons. Some of the acting is getting a bit hokey, and I am really not recognizing many names/characters from the game at this point. Might have to replay the game to see if these guys are mentioned at all.

Edit 7: Yeah, I'm beginning to see why this an 'inspired by' series. It has a significant tone shift from the game, and some of the acting in this is beginning to really dip, especially amongst anyone that is not Reed or Golaski. And the less said about the action, the better. However, it does explain why Reed was at Upsilon, and seems to at least be trying to demonstrate what happened to Akers and his interactions with the WAU through Golaski's arc here.

Edit 8: And here we go, the final part. Overall, this whole thing was pretty weird and disjointed, and I guess it really wasn't what I was looking for in a prequel to Soma. Again, I can see why they decided to call this an "inspired by Soma series". There are just too many tonal and story inconsistencies between the two products for them to be really considered as forming a cohesive whole, especially with regards to the things that WAU does (then again, WAU clearly managed to enact some kind of influence over Akers in the game, so hell, maybe he was also seeing visions of those he left behind on the surface).

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@adequatelyprepared: I know this is a discussion thread for the plot, but how is the game? I've read the GameSpot review and saw some trailers but like how is it? Does it play well? I'm interested in the plot but I don't really like horror all that much. Loved Dead Space because I love sci-fi and it was like that game was made specifically with my taste in mind. SOMA I realize is not in space, but all the cool tech and the intriguing story have my interest piqued.

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: So far, only about 1.5 hours in. No jump scares to speak of so far, but things are definitely getting strange.

Already had two enemy encounters (both with same enemy type), and it's a real simple escape from the enemy type deal, which I generally tend to try to rush through, if only because I might as well make multiple attempts at the end goal and die occasionally rather than waste 10 minutes on a single attempt and die. Ironically enough, Amnesia really thickened my skin in relation to such gameplay, and I just don't find it as scary anymore, especially since to me it just feels like I'm playing a more hardcore version of Pac-Man. As such, I am mainly in Soma for the story and atmosphere (I also enjoy sci-fi stuff like this), and it seems to be solid so far. Lots of detail in the environment.

I'll be sure to write some more down once I really get into the meat of it.

Edit: Oh, and there is no real resource management. No oil lamp, no sanity bar, and health is only regained at certain special points.

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well i played for 15 minutes and it allready gave me the creeps.

Blomakrans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

About to start this. Those of you who have already started, would you recommend a controller or is mouse+keyboard the way to go?

mashzapotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mashzapotato

Just finished the game. Short version: I REALLY liked it

Long version:

(This will only make sense if you've played and finished the game yourself btw)

I actively hate solipsism as a concept and the idea that the "final salvation" of humanity was for about twenty folks to live for thousands of years in a satellite, doing nothing real or building anything was repellent to me. Its having bodies acting in the real world that gives us meaning so wherever possible I played according to those beliefs. When I saw a human consciousness trapped in a bodiless state or in immense pain I killed them (killing Catherinebot was ROUGH, she seemed happy but being a half geiger robot at the bottom of the sea isn't a life worth living so I pulled the plug :\ ) But I let the first Simon live as he had a body and could act in the world, possibly finding a way to maybe integrate with the WAU and work on making Earth habitable again. I also didn't kill the WAU, I thought there was at least a chance given millennia the WAU would get its shit together and figure out a way to progress and make a new species of horrific humanbots. At least its something right? Man, I really liked this game. So yeah, Fuck those space people. Simon 1 and I are gonna be down here making crazy robot fishes n' shit.

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forgot to mention, as a final quick point about the game so far.

This game features decision-making, and I have already encountered two in just first hour and a bit. No idea how much it impacts the final progression of the plot, but there is that as well. The cool thing is that discovering the possibility of these decisions were almost entirely environmentally based, no one was talking in your ear a-la Atlas going "Well, which is it going to be boy-o?".

CivilizedWorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By CivilizedWorm

This being the first Frictional game I've ever played, I'm surprised at how not very scary it is.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

@adequatelyprepared: I just got past the comms centre, what happens if you call the other places?

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@civilizedworm: I actually love how not pants-pooping it is. I played amnesia a little bit and had to quit. I've actually stuck with this for a few hours so far, and its pretty great.

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donutfever: You get a creepy robot voice telling you "Kill yourself. You have nothing left to live for".

mashzapotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adequatelyprepared: I just got past the comms centre, what happens if you call the other places?

you get a few lines of weird dialogue but nothing more than that.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

How's the storytelling? I just saw the 12-minute gameplay teaser, and it seems like the writing is not very subtle. They basically hit you on the head with the fact that the robot doesn't realize that he is not a human. Also, the main character's delivery seems unnatural at times. Is that the case with the entire game?

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Think this thread just sold me on SOMA. Thanks, guys!

Sorry, Destiny. I'll play through you eventually.

PirateNeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@adequatelyprepared: I missed my opportunity to try the other contacts in the comm center, wanna let me in on what i missed?

Plainpenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was half expecting them to pull out a twist and let the game end with you playing as an insane individual, surprised me that they didn't really pull anything towards the ending. I kinda like the story, most of it was well written. I dislike how they forced some horror elements into the game, but other than that it was pretty cool. I wish the game would communicate a bit better what the robots and people forced to live on by the WAU experienced. You get a decent image in a scene were he's basicly dreaming about good memories in his life, but before this it's kind of hard to understand exactly what the WAU is putting some of them through.

Plainpenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mashzapotato: The earth was fucked, humanity had died out, how the heck were they gonna save it? Even if the UAW would have managed to create sane robots, they would still have the same onsciousness as the individuals at their starting point in the Ark. Heck they would have way more potential in the Ark than trapped at the bottom of the sea with nothing but a broken station to live in until the decay made it impossible. There's no more meaning living in the "real world" than a realistic simulation of the "real world". Nothing you do has any significant meaning in the long run, and they wouldn't even know they were living in a simulation if Catherine hadn't told them. She also said, at one point in the game, that they would fill the Ark with dummys who wouod only replicate human behaviour in hope that they would be able to figure out how to make their AI identical to human behaviour so you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

mashzapotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mashzapotato: The earth was fucked, humanity had died out, how the heck were they gonna save it? Even if the UAW would have managed to create sane robots, they would still have the same onsciousness as the individuals at their starting point in the Ark. Heck they would have way more potential in the Ark than trapped at the bottom of the sea with nothing but a broken station to live in until the decay made it impossible. There's no more meaning living in the "real world" than a realistic simulation of the "real world". Nothing you do has any significant meaning in the long run, and they wouldn't even know they were living in a simulation if Catherine hadn't told them. She also said, at one point in the game, that they would fill the Ark with dummys who wouod only replicate human behaviour in hope that they would be able to figure out how to make their AI identical to human behaviour so you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

The ARK is a prison. A very nice, very fancy prison but it the people inside it will never be able to grow or leave. There's a set amount of CPU, RAM and storage space that can never be increased. The WAU has earth and time. It doesn't need an atmosphere or environment, and where it does it has shown the ability to create it. It could, after waiting a few millennia, terraform Earth (It would probably make it a fucked nightmare planet but better than nothing.) Its the difference between a meaningless heaven and an eternal hell that might become something better given time.

Strathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Finished the game yesterday. Great game for sure, but the decisions/consequence elements that were talked up in promotion are totally absent. The choices are still there, but it looks like the consequences were pulled from the game. The story ended up feeling a little hollow as a result. Still totally worth playing though.

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strathy: Considering the themes the game raises, I'm actually in favour of the game not trying to tell you if you made the 'right' or 'wrong' decision. It would have been nice if there was at least some small degree of story changes based on what you do, but I do like that ultimately the morality of your choices is up to only you.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Finished it and absolutely loved it. The atmosphere is so so good, like descending into the abyss and your cage stopping and having to walk out on it. What an incredible moment.

It also has the supersecret.rar file in the game files, that is around 750MB. I personally believe the Depth tie-in movie will be in there. Now we just need to find the letters to unlock it.

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atwa: Best theory I've heard so far regarding it. Probably why Frictional was so coy about confirming or denying when the movie is going to be released.

violet_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By violet_

This entire game feels like a really bad fever dream.

Like, if I had a nightmare, this game is what it'd most likely look like.

RangerTaffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finished it in around 12 hours. Guys seriously you ought to stick till the very end. There's a far greater impact than I could've imagined. Personally it's the story of the year for me.

My overall impressions:

Aside from the technical issues, Frictional Games brought up a really memorable atmospheric setting. Pacing wise, the build-up gradually peaks as you go forward and when the story gets rolling, especially after second half, it's seriously amazing. I think the audio setup is better produced here, but the sound design didn't feel as engaging in places as Amnesia did in its terrifying parts.

Some of the enemy variants were disappointing one way or another, though I definitely had moments where I needed to give up on my headphones. There were also levels where I was frustrated with figuring out some simple tasks. At the same time, the atmosphere was thoroughly absorbing, each site having its own particular feature that sticks out in my mind. All things considered, the genius of the game lies with the narrative and your actions leading up to it are surprisingly very well written. Great game and a worthwhile trip for sure.

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By the way everyone, the .rar file was cracked. Just a bunch of back-stage dev stuff in there, no sign of any film. Some seem convinced that because this reveals that Soma used to be known as Depth, that the movie itself doesn't exist. I don't think so, if only because Frictional have been acting as though a movie does exist. It would be a real dick move to not correct a misconception on this scale.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CaLe

I feel like I've been so overexposed to the ideas and themes in the game that none of it had any real impact on me, which is a shame because it seems to be very thought provoking for people who maybe weren't already tuned in to this kind of stuff. I still enjoyed it, though the horror elements were much weaker than Amnesia, to the point they just became a distraction to the good parts of the game. I didn't kill the WAU because it may eventually get to a point where it knows the difference between alive and not dead. Hell, it may even get to the point where it can grab that satellite out of orbit and transfer those minds back to actual bodies that can interact with reality. The fact it took any interest in humans at all, never mind it ham-fistedly trying to keep them alive, made a good case for why I shouldn't kill it.

wildpomme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just finished the game. I really enjoyed the atmosphere and the story (specifically discovering what all was happening and why). It didn't really get me to wax philosophical, but what's there was very intriguing and propelled me to reach the conclusion. The ending felt predictable, but I'm not sure what I was expecting as an alternative. Maybe it should have dug more into its central theme? I don't know. Still fantastic. As for the decisions, I made every single one, haha. Partly as my concept of Simon, and partly because I just wanted to poke everything the game let me touch.

There are some quibbles I have with the game, but I do also have one issue of significance and that's the monsters. They weren't scary, and they just got in the way of me exploring and really soaking up the environment. I'm not a fan of audio/written diaries (like in MGSV or Bioshock), but here in SOMA, they felt organic — they made sense how they existed and were accessed in the world. I wanted to find all the things. It's that discovery that most of the monsters got in the way of. It was very irritating. It speaks to how good this game is though, that it didn't taint my experience.

One thing that the game did get me thinking about is directing the player and the player feeling compelled to experience everything in a game. I've never really thought about these things before — at least not at this level. Maybe reading Austin's review of Undertale was an influence? It started when the game asked me to go to point A (when you have to go to the first escape pod before you can unlock the door to go to the CURIE). I already knew there was a point B because I explored earlier. I couldn't open the door at point B the first time. So I went back again before going to point A. That was when I realized I essentially broke the game. The game wanted me to go to point A first, and then I could progress through point B. This completionist worry — a worry that I'll miss something that I'll regret, even if I don't know if there's actually anything to miss — is always there in my mind. From the rest of the game onward, these thoughts showed up. I think modern games have helped drive us down this path. It's something interesting to think about.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Atwa

@adequatelyprepared said:

By the way everyone, the .rar file was cracked. Just a bunch of back-stage dev stuff in there, no sign of any film. Some seem convinced that because this reveals that Soma used to be known as Depth, that the movie itself doesn't exist. I don't think so, if only because Frictional have been acting as though a movie does exist. It would be a real dick move to not correct a misconception on this scale.

I refuse to accept that, since Thomas Grip never outright said that the movie doesn't exist, in fact he was very vague about it. If it doesn't, why not deny it? No reason to be coy about it. I think its hidden somewhere still. There are so many shots of the script, pictures of the scenes that aren't in the short trailers for it. It seems too much to be a hoax. My guess is that it will come sometime, just not sure why.

I really want it though.

Bezerker85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just finished the game. I enjoyed my time with it, though near the end, I started getting really annoyed with the monsters, rather than scared by them. During one run I hit the technological jackpot and had the monster just spinning in a circle in front of the exit so there was no way around him.

While I am happy with the ending, I am a bit bummed because I kept telling myself that there was going to be another twist at the end where you wake up back in present day and it was all just a simulation to help your brain repair.

I am also curious if there are any Until Dawn style butterfly effects with the ending based on choices you make earlier in the game. I know I saw one thing I missed out on by deleting the file that contained my brain scan but other than that, I'm not sure what else would be effected

wildpomme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezerker85: That's the one thing I was hoping wouldn't happen, haha. The "it was all a dream" plot device/revelation just feels so lazy and uninspired to me. I agree though that the ending needed more — a good punch to the gut. Something.

As far as I know there is only one ending. I think the choices are there to make the experience a bit more personal. I deleted all the legacy brain scans as well. I don't know if you noticed, but if they hadn't been deleted they could have been used when running the diagnostics on the prototype ARK. I don't know what that would have done though. Maybe some extra dialog to address it?

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I just finished Soma, and I just want to jot down a few thoughts.
Agree with most on the monster encounters. At a certain point, they just got in the way of me wanting to enjoy the story, puzzles, and exploration. Theta was probably the worst with regards to this. It's a shame that there weren't more interactions/dialogues with robots.
The underwater trek at the bottom of the trench was fucking terrifying. The way that the DoF was used really created the impression of having a few thousand tons of water pressing on you from above, and the run from beacon to beacon felt incredibly desperate.
I dug the ending, and story overall, though it could get a bit confusing telling apart certain human characters. But the story delivered what I signed up for: sci-fi, robots, digital minds, and weird moral dilemmas concerning all three. It is weird that Ashley almost never reappeared in any form, dreams or otherwise.
Simon, Simon had a hard life.
So did Simon-1.
And Simon-2. I honestly really felt for this one. Imaging him still being a few thousand metres beneath the ocean surface during that last shot of the satellite is just really depressing.
Not Simon-3 though. That prick gets to enjoy a digital haven in the stars.

Here's hoping to Depth rearing it's head soon. For whatever reason, I really want the last scene of that to be Reed dying in her suit, followed by a time-lapse, then the suit coming to life as Simon-1 begins to inhabit it.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By Seikenfreak

Just finished the game. Really liked it. I had almost zero expectations of it since I had only ever seen the trailer thing years ago (it had some dude waking up in a chair in that room and the weird hose lookin monster thing? I need to find it again Edit: Turns out that may have just been the gameplay trailer from a year ago) and that was it. Didn't follow development, didn't know what the story was about, and didn't watch any other footage or trailers.

Great atmosphere. Just the right amount of terror/fear that someone like me was still able to progress through it while having genuine moments of tension and unease. Game felt like it had a good length as well. I thought the voice acting was done pretty well minus like one or two weird important line deliveries (I can't really remember what they even were.) Not the most top notch graphics ever but still great and got the job done. I played the PS4 version and had technical issues with it crashing a number of times along with the bad hitching/choppyness during a load or save. Also the load times are pretty bad. In the end I was still able to complete it and none of this stuff ruined the overall experience for me. I enjoyed and felt a need explore ever nook and cranny, every drawer, finding every note, picture, and audio take I could to help me understand the story.

I do think they could've done more freaky and unsettling things. There was the one cave area that had all the creepy giant sea spider things all over which I thought was neat and fresh at that point in the game. I thought the stuff where computer screens were flickering and things would get entered into the interface for you was neat. The robot thing outside the window and starts breaking the glass was a great little part. I just froze in place and thought like "Is it going to break? Is it going to break? Do I run out and close the door so it doesn't flood? Shit shit shit.." Not necessarily a monster that can actually kill you but more psychological terror stuff. I was kind of expecting a little more of that since descriptions for the game seemed to suggest it dealt with the mind and consciousness.

Spoiler Stuff:So I thought the ending was decent. Kind of what I expected but interesting that I was still cool with it because I felt a serious sense of relief and comfort in the change of environment, which is exactly the idea of the ARK they were trying to get across with the in-game narrative I believe. I thought it was interesting taking that ARK Survey a second time, first in that test chamber area and then in the ARK simulation itself, and feeling differently about the answers. More specifically, during the first survey, I kind of went through it with a "No, I would still be aware this is all fake so it doesn't feel right. Is this how I want to live? I think maybe a death is a death and we should not be artificially prolonging our consciousness.." attitude to a "Okay, this place is nice. I can't tell the difference. Maybe what I was in before was fake? This is at least better than the hellish nightmare I was in. Maybe I could be happy just living a simple life in this world."

I'm going to assume there is at least one alternate ending. I have no evidence to back that up but there are a number of choices that seem like they could affect it. One being killing the WAU or not (I chose to kill it because F that thing), another being the ARK Simulation test you setup in the test chamber area. I deleted the Legacy Scans so I was only able to use a Dummy in it but I imagine if you left it running with your brain scan in it, that it could be another existence to potentially end up in. Same goes for the decision to kill or not kill your first robot body in the chair. Leaving it alive is another potential placeholder for you? I'm basing this on the theory of the one crazy guy who suggests that when you die, you will sort of jump to another of your existing consciousnesses.

I'm also not sure about the pod things you can stick your hand in throughout the game. They seem to act as health recharges but I feel like there could be something more there, either getting them all or not using one. At least a trophy. I think I missed one or two throughout my play through.

So yea I really liked it overall. Definitely on my top games for this year.

wildpomme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By wildpomme

@seikenfreak: Yeah, I thought the health pods would factor in some way, especially because of a moment at Theta. There was a pod in the living quarters and after I used it, Catherine said something like "What are you doing? You do know you're connecting with WAU when you do that, right?" Simon got real defensive and said something like "Back off, I need this, okay?" It reminded me of the robots floating around at the bottom of the sea looking for their structure gel fix. I don't think the notion of getting addicted to structure gel ever really comes up again. It's odd.

mashzapotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razzuel said:

@seikenfreak: Yeah, I thought the health pods would factor in some way, especially because of a moment at Theta. There was a pod in the living quarters and after I used it, Catherine said something like "What are you doing? You do know you're connecting with WAU when you do that, right?" Simon got real defensive and said something like "Back off, I need this, okay?" It reminded me of the robots floating around at the bottom of the sea looking for their structure gel fix. I don't think the notion of getting addicted to structure gel ever really comes up again. It's odd.

Yeah that was a little weird. I thought they were going to address Catherine's cortex chip. It was clearly covered in structure gel and I thought there would be a reveal later like 'she's actually the WAU!' Glad they didn't though, I'm not convinced more SOMA would have made it better. I honestly have no complaints beyond gameplay.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The ending for this game is one of the most f***** up endings in years. Showing that reaction to not wanting to be sacrificed. All of what he went through especially with that voice acting really hit me hard. He echoes the players frustration, and watching the lights go off one by one after losing contact... damn grim.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Seikenfreak

@asilentprotagonist: That was one of the elements that bothered me a little at the end. You go through the game with the story pounding it into your characters head that it just copies you and Simon still freaks out. I was on Catherine's side at the moment as she is calling him a f**king idiot haha.

Even still, they only give you a moment for that to sink in and then it just fades out. I think this could have been done in such a way that had more impact and feel messed up. As it was happening I figured I'd have to kill myself, but even that is a little predictable. I would have made it so the chair unlocks and you're free to walk around. You're all alone. Dead silence. You can just wander aimlessly around Phi at least. The players themselves should've remembered that you are just a copy and how those staff members were killing themselves to get onto the ARK. Do you as the player believe it? Would you rather just stay down here? The ending could have a split here depending on what the player does, but really let the player wander and the sense of being alone sink in. Maybe if you didn't kill the woman in the Infirmary, you could just go back up in there and hang out? Which would be super depressing but it's what life will be like here. Or if you decide to kill yourself, you need to figure out a way to do it. Maybe you just head back out into the Abyss and let yourself be killed by the giant sea creatures or finding some height to jump from. I think it would be really F'd up.

I just think they could've done a wider variety and more interesting terror and psychological scares and such. I really like the game the more I think about it and I actually just ordered a new LG OLED TV so I might replay through some of the game again to test out the TV's blacks. Hell, I might buy the game on Steam as well to support them and see how much better it looks and just run that through the TV.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Atwa
Loading Video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8I_J2VjsqQ

Uploaded just now by Frictional on Youtube.

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atwa: Awesome, thanks for staying on top of this.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

corporalgregg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By corporalgregg

It's cool playing a game where I'm a guy from southern Ontario! Only thing is he ought to say Toronto like a proper person from here. That second T is basically silent and it's two syllables. I loved the game though and agree that the enemy encounters kind of get in the way from what is a really enjoyable thrill ride.

Bezerker85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just beat it.

That ending was very depressing. I wasn't expecting the game to end on such a huge downer like that, since Amnesia averted expectations and ended on a pretty alright note. I wish the game gave me the option to kill myself rather than ending it with Simon whimpering for Catherine. At least then it wouldn't have felt like such a huge downer.

Other than that I enjoyed the game. Some of the monster parts were pretty scary, but others went on for way too long (I'm looking at you Theta base). I dug the story, but I didn't care for the ending. One thing I don't really like is that the game provides you with a lot of choices, but none of them have any consequences except for a few lines of dialogue here and there. I'll probably have to give the ending time to sink in for me to really see if I like it or not - I hated the ending of The Last of Us initially, for instance, but over time I actually grew to like it.

wildpomme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45: Huh. Did you stay until the end of the credits? Yeah, Simon-3 is stuck in the abyss all by himself, but Simon-4 is living the high life up in the ARK. I was surprised (and not at all surprised) they went with the expected "happy" ending.

Which reminds me...I think it's unfair for people to be calling Simon stupid. Of course he doesn't want to accept that the brain scans are like pictures and not an actual transfer of consciousness. He's stuck in the dang abyss, and only a few hours earlier did he just wake up in a living nightmare. People think irrationally sometimes. He ain't perfect. I really like that about him.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razzuel:

Yeah, I played the bit after the credits. The part with Simon-3 was very depressing, but even if you set that aside, the ending's still a downer. Humanity's completely wiped out, the earth's a fried husk, and the computer simulation in space isn't going to do be doing anything except float around for a few thousand years and eventually get destroyed one way or another. I just wasn't the expecting the ending to be so bleak and hopeless, I thought they would do SOMETHING to give a little bit of hope, you know, that just maybe humanity can find a way to come back from this... Nope. None of that, everyone's dead, and all that remains of humanity are 50~ AI simulations of people floating in space.

Vade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Vade
@razzuel said:

Which reminds me...I think it's unfair for people to be calling Simon stupid. Of course he doesn't want to accept that the brain scans are like pictures and not an actual transfer of consciousness.

I agree with you that Simon is thinking very rationally considering the situation. I've seen a lot of people saying "of course you don't get transferred" but I don't think the idea is as simple as that. I feel the coinflip idea has a lot of merit. There are points in time where Simon exists in 2 places as the original and perfect copy, all memories and experiences are carried over. He is both the copy and the original and then diverges into one or the other. Without any proof like a physical body, there is no way of telling the original. Of course Simon stays in the seat but of course he wakes up somewhere else, and so on.

All in all, I really liked the story and characters seemed consistent with the world.

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vade: I think that the whole coin flip bit was made up by Catherine, if only to calm down Simon, and during the creation of Simon-3, it just so happened that the game gave us control over Simon-3 rather than Simon-2. Copying the mind seems to copy all memories, so you'll end up having two Simons both thinking that they are the 'real' deal, and that the other is a 'fake'. This is seen at the end as well, as Simon-4 says something (I think it was something like "It worked? It worked!") that clearly shows that he believes himself to be the same person that was just down on Earth, arming the space gun, and that he won the non-existent 'coin-flip'.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am 100% with @adequatelyprepared I don't think there is a coin flip, both Simon's coexist, both have their own conscious. Both feel that they are the one, which is very much the case. It creates an exact copy and both have their own concious. Never once would a person "swap" from one to the other. We only see it like that in the first case, but if the other one wasn't unconscious he would be screaming about being left behind.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#49  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Game is good. Game is scary. Game is SOMA.

I'm enjoying the plot. I like the sense of discovery and the pace of the story progression.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree that there isn't a "coin flip" to it. I still say he is an idiot though. He seems to fall right into this world and adapt and go along with stuff with relative ease. That may actually be one of my slight complaints? There was a point where he went from being hopeless and then after the ARK was vaguely explained to him he was all like "Okay! Lets do that! What do I do?" and the rest of the game was somewhat enthusiastic and normal about stuff. Although at that point I guess he thinks the ARK is something he can physically ride out of there. I can't remember if they explain its just a virtual simulation computer right up front. Still, he became too compliant too quickly for me. Parts where you'd get through some horrific life and death situation or terrifying monsters, then roll up on the next Omnitool jack and Catherine would be like "Oh.. we're here.. everything okay?" and he'd respond with "Eh.. yea.." That definitely irked me. He became like some un-phase-able action hero.

Anyway, I still think the brain scan copy concept was explained to him clearly enough and enough times, and even dealt with retrieving the security cipher from the dude's brain scan that he should've understood wtf was going to happen with the ARK. Or at least not been so surprised and pissed off.

Still really like the game. Would've been a true classic if there was some adjustments to the gameplay and story IMO, but as is, it will be a cult classic. The game was sort of on the Steam front page for all of a day and I had a hard time finding it to buy on PS4. Not sure why it isn't getting more love.