XBOX One X BC: A New Hope For SSX 3 (First Giant Bomb Thread)!!

SortaMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SortaMaximus

Sorta Maximus here bringing you the truely best bit of news for XBOX One X. SSX 3 might soon be within a modern console owner's grasp once again!! And not just any version of SSX 3, but technically the best version. Hopefully the 1X's emulator will have fully remapable controls. Many likely still have their trusty PS3's and 360's handy. I imagine far less have a PS2, GC, or the original XBOX. That's why it's so awesome that the 1X is going to be backwards compatible with original XBOX games.

In mean, how else are you going to be doing all those dope, tricky-tricky-tricky spins and flips nowadays? It's not like EA is busting out sequels that recaptures the single player and local multi-player snowboarding magic of SSX 3. And no, SSX for the PS3 and 360 didn't cut it. We definitely need SSX 3 for prosperity - make it happen Microsoft and EA. I'll even join Origin if I have to.

I suppose if that never happens the inevitable Nintendo Switch VC could also play host to SSX 3. All that said, I'd pay real good money for an SSX 3 + SSX Tricky remaster. Precious gems, whatever. I'm totally pumped to buy a 1X to catch up on Halo, sure, and to possibly play this nearly 14 year old game.

Also, this is my first thread on Giant Bomb!! Was Giant Bomb named after the mirror world item from Zelda: A Link to the Past? I always wanted to ask that.

"Sorta Maximus" is my new nick everywhere on the net. If inclined, send me a friends request on PSN or Switch (I currently don't have a ton of friends for the new online accounts as of yet). I'm working on buying a 2DS XL, the 1X, and a new gaming PC. I also need to rebuy a PS3 unless Sony's E3 2017 can conjure up a Metal Gear Solid 1-4 Collection for the PS4.

Sometime in the near future you might catch me podcasting under the Sorta Maximus name. I'm additionally planing to create a sci-fi / superhero voiced digital graphic novel also relating to it. While I'm not looking to promote these ventures here by any means (I want to keep using my Giant Bomb account) I would like to see if anyone here would be interested in working on projects like that with me. I would imagine the Giant Bomb community is a very creative one given all the user created content.

The Sorta Maximus name has a significant meaning behind its creation - it's my "Hodor" phrase for sure. I'm super excited. Send me those friend requests and I'll see you online!!

PSN - SortaMaximus

Switch - SortaMaximus

XBOX Live - Sorta Maximus

Steam - Sorta Maximus

Battlenet - SortaMaximus (#1240)

Twitter - @SortaMaximus

PS - Might I add how awesome it is to literally have no one using your name?

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

(You might want to move this to the SSX 3 forum.)

Just imagine if they spool up the online servers for some of these games. Could we finally get the glorious return of the best arcade racer in history Burnout 3: Takedown?

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I played so much of these games on Playstation controllers I'm not sure I could ever get used to using an XBox controller for them (I find XBox controllers fairly unwieldy anyway; I'm a "have your d-pad in alignment with your face buttons" guy for sure) but I'll take this opportunity to say the PS3 generation SSX was perhaps the greatest missed opportunity of that generation. All they had to do was give us a bigger mountain, cool new Tricky moves, a killer soundtrack and great courses on that mountain. It was, and still is honestly, amazing to me that you could start at the top of the mountain in SSX 3 and board your way all the way to the end in 20-40 minutes, going through different environments and indirectly practicing on several of the courses in the middle of your free board. If my memory serves me right, it also kept score of your full run so you could get these enormous numbers, but maybe I'm wrong on that.

But instead of doing that, they gave us several different mountains with what amounted to boss battles, a fully unnecessary loot system that completely missed how tenuous games like Tony Hawk and SSX's relationship with upgraded gear was to begin with and, from what little of the game I wound up playing, some pretty uninteresting courses.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima said:

I played so much of these games on Playstation controllers I'm not sure I could ever get used to using an XBox controller for them (I find XBox controllers fairly unwieldy anyway; I'm a "have your d-pad in alignment with your face buttons" guy for sure) but I'll take this opportunity to say the PS3 generation SSX was perhaps the greatest missed opportunity of that generation. All they had to do was give us a bigger mountain, cool new Tricky moves, a killer soundtrack and great courses on that mountain. It was, and still is honestly, amazing to me that you could start at the top of the mountain in SSX 3 and board your way all the way to the end in 20-40 minutes, going through different environments and indirectly practicing on several of the courses in the middle of your free board. If my memory serves me right, it also kept score of your full run so you could get these enormous numbers, but maybe I'm wrong on that.

But instead of doing that, they gave us several different mountains with what amounted to boss battles, a fully unnecessary loot system that completely missed how tenuous games like Tony Hawk and SSX's relationship with upgraded gear was to begin with and, from what little of the game I wound up playing, some pretty uninteresting courses.

If PS3 SSX was a missed opportunity then what do you call Steep? I played like 45 minutes of that demo and was like "Who is this for?" That and For Honor are the games that got me to stop buying Ubisoft games, with a few possible exceptions down the road.

Who does Steep appeal to? And someone died working on that game (snowboarder) which makes it all the sadder that it's SO boring.

As for OP...this really depends on how they do the emulation. If it's a direct read from the disc with no copying then it might be the whole library becomes BC. Otherwise I think a game like SSX 3, with a ton of licensing issues, is unlikely. And Tony Hawk is right out.

The fact that they specifically name-checked Crimson Skies instead of saying "AND ALL YOUR XBOX GAMES WILL PLAY FROM THE DISC" makes me think it's a solution similar to that for Xbox 360 games, which means SSX 3 seems unlikely due to licenses. But hope springs eternal!

SortaMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SortaMaximus

While Steep might be a good snowboarding game I doubt it's a good SSX game. Just like NBA Live isn't NBA Jam.

I'm letting my plans to purchase a PS3 go too. The entire purchase hinged on my love for MGS and that just wasn't enough in the end. I'm sure Death Stranding will be a whole new kind of MGS-like crazy. Plus an XBOX One X purchase is more exciting to me. Time to start saving.

RikiGuitarist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RikiGuitarist

@bigsocrates: You really can't make a 1 to 1 comparison between SSX 3 and Steep. Their similarities begin and end at both of them having free roam snowboarding. SSX 3 is a bombastic, over-the-top arcadey snowboarding game with a heavy emphasis on tricks and score attacks. While Steep leans towards the more realistic end of the spectrum, and spreads its gameplay over other winter sports, rather than focusing solely on snowboarding. This is probably why Steep initially feels shallow to a lot of players.

Steep appeals to a subset of fans that fall under a pretty niche group already. One of my circle of friends are snowboard and skiing enthusiasts. They've moved on to Steep after being fans of Shaun White's Snowboarding, and I think that's where a lot of players came from, and who Steep is actually for. The remaining few who didn't get into Steep moved on to Infinite Air with Mark McMorris. Steep does for SSX 3 and winter sports as what Skate did with the Tony Hawk games. But snowboarding, paragliding, and wingsuit diving are much more niche than skateboarding, so it would appeal even less to video game players. It doesn't go into much depth for any one discipline, so it can feel rather shallow if you focus on just one sport. Steep is also very social. If you don't have a group of friends to take advantage of all the course sharing and leaderboard chasing there is to do in Steep, it can get stale very fast.

Mike Ybarra has confirmed that original Xbox backwards compatibility works the same as Xbox 360 on Xbox One. So games are a case by case basis on if they're supported or not. You'll need to install the games after inserting the disc, so you can't play any old Xbox game from the inserted disc.

SortaMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SortaMaximus

I didn't even know there was an SSX3 section!! How cool is that? Does every game have a section?

TuxedoCruise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

Guys I just like to report I got this for Xbox One and it is amazing. I'm not even talking Xbox One X, I have a plain ole S.

Holy crap. It runs at double the resolution (960p), solid 60 fps, and basically no loading times. It's delicious.

I never had a OG XBOX so I hadn't really been paying attention to BC for that. But I had this for the GameCube and it was one of my favorite games. I need to take another look at the list if they are all as well done as this.

Well worth the 10 bucks. I hope they release SSX Tricky too.