Star Trek video game recommendations?

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Strangestories

I’m a huge trek fan and have a urge to play a decent Star Trek video game. Anyone have any personal recommendations?

My go-to Star Trek game is actually a total conversion mod for Sins of a Solar Empire and while it’s amazing, I’d like something more *official*. I also played Star Trek Online a long time ago and don’t really feel like playing an mmo.

Are Star Trek: Bridge Commander and Star Trek: Armada any good? While there are generally favorable reviews for them, they came out in the early 2000s and I don’t know if they still hold up.

Thanks!

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#2  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Star Trek Online is probably the best recent experience you'll find. Bethesda's Star Trek: Legacy from 2007 wasn't bad either, but pretty mediocre. The game based on the JJ Abrams movie, simply titled Star Trek, isn't good at all.

I've never played either Bridge Commander or Armada, so I can't speak for those, but those early 90s adventure games with the TOS crew, 25th Anniversary, Judgment Rites and A Final Unity are all good if you enjoy classic point and click adventure games.

I really liked the FPS Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force and the Starfleet Command strategy games, but only the first Starfleet Command is available on Steam/GOG, and I'd say Starfleet Command 2 is probably the one that holds up best.

There also was a cool but buggy tactical game called Star Trek Away Team, very much in the vein of the Commandos/Desperados (and more recently Shadow Tactics).

I also have a soft spot for the Deep Space Nine game on the SNES, but it probably wasn't actually good.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

I liked Star Trek: Borg but it was an FMV game, so no, it wasn't so good. You can probably YouTube it.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I liked Star Trek: Borg but it was an FMV game, so no, it wasn't so good. You can probably YouTube it.

Even better, you can FMVinny it! I don't actually have anything else of substance to add to this.

MeMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Birth of the federation is a pretty good 4x game.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By conmulligan

I haven't played it in years, but I remember loving Bridge Commander at the time. If you're open to another mod, Star Trek: New Horizons for Stellaris is really good and often feels like a licensed Star Trek game.

TurtleFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TurtleFish

I'll support the view that Star Trek Online is probably the best of the recent Trek games. Otherwise, if you're after starship combat, I also have a soft spot for the old Star Trek: Starfleet Command games from the early 2000s, but I have no clue how they hold up in 2018 if you don't have any nostalgia those and/or have no familiarity with Starfleet Battles.

@fisk0 said:

Star Trek Online is probably the best recent experience you'll find. Bethesda's Star Trek: Legacy from 2007 wasn't bad either, but pretty mediocre. The game based on the JJ Abrams movie, simply titled Star Trek, isn't good at all.

I've never played either Bridge Commander or Armada, so I can't speak for those, but those early 90s adventure games with the TOS crew, 25th Anniversary, Judgment Rites and A Final Unity are all good if you enjoy classic point and click adventure games.

I really liked the FPS Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force and the Starfleet Command strategy games, but only the first Starfleet Command is available on Steam/GOG, and I'd say Starfleet Command 2 is probably the one that holds up best.

There also was a cool but buggy tactical game called Star Trek Away Team, very much in the vein of the Commandos/Desperados (and more recently Shadow Tactics).

I also have a soft spot for the Deep Space Nine game on the SNES, but it probably wasn't actually good.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I think STAR TREK: Starfleet Command games are worth checking out. There might be better space warfare strat/sims games out there, but this one is native star trek...so.

Temg99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Temg99

@strangestories: Armada and its sequel are very good RTS games. Closer to a Command 'n Conquer style RTS than Age of Empires style. If you are at all into RTS get them. If they play on your system they should hold up fine from a gameplay perspective.

It has been too many years since I played Bridge Commander, but I fondly remember its previous game in the series - Starfleet Academy. That is still one of my all-time favorite Star Trek games. Sadly I imagine both will have a hard time working on modern systems.

I second picking up Elite Force (1 and 2). but only if you are really into Voyager and the characters.

Out of all that if you want a true Trek experience, nothing beats 25th Anniversary.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#10 fisk0  Moderator

@temg99 said:

It has been too many years since I played Bridge Commander, but I fondly remember its previous game in the series - Starfleet Academy. That is still one of my all-time favorite Star Trek games. Sadly I imagine both will have a hard time working on modern systems.

Starfleet Academy is actually both on GOG and Steam. The GOG version definitely should run out of the box, Steam is spottier when it comes to that, but I'm pretty sure they're selling the same package as GOG does in this case.

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Strangestories

Thanks for the advice everyone! Lots of games for me to look at so I’m pretty excited.

Pete0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The recent Star Trek: Bridge Crew is quite good, if a little shallow. VR is no longer a requirement, and it makes for quite a good social game if you can find a good crew to have a good time with. They have recently put out a TNG dlc that has a new bridge to play around on as well as Romulans and the Borg as enemies.

Anteas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Anteas

If you want to be captain of your own starship then the only game I can think of is bridge commander, and as you can mod sins then your in for a treat with the modding scene for BC. Nexus mods got the old database from filefront so you can add an open galaxy mod to the game and fly most canon Vessels or command them from the center chair.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto
NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NTM

I've always wanted to play the Elite Force games. I remember those games getting pretty high praise when they came out; not many other Trek games get high praise. Oh, I don't know if it's playable, but there's this thing a fan made that always looked cool to me. As I type this, I found a new video of it! It's an Enterprise virtual tour. It now has NPCs (although that aspect looks bad right now).

Loading Video...
emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'll also highly recommend the Elite Force games, but my favorite Star Trek game is Klingon Academy. It's not on GOG, and requires some unofficial patches to play on modern PCs, but it's fantastic if you can track it down.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

kamikawa4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kamikawa4

Star Trek Timelines on mobile. I know it looks like just a dumb mobile gachapon game (and it is) but the writing is actually excellent and if you love Trek you will enjoy it. Great call backs from the quirkiest episodes from all the series and even comics and novels. The game has text based away missions and some basic strategic ship combat, but the main draw is collecting crew from all the series. Sure there are premium hooks in it, but it’s free and worth poking around with.

CanadianCowz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll also highly recommend the Elite Force games, but my favorite Star Trek game is Klingon Academy. It's not on GOG, and requires some unofficial patches to play on modern PCs, but it's fantastic if you can track it down.

Klingon Academy is way better than it has any right to be. It's by far the best Star Trek game I've played. Christopher Plummer going on at length about how great the Klingon Empire is. The ship combat is surprisingly deep. It's the closest thing to Tie Fighter that a Star Trek game has ever gotten to.

I took a very quick look, and I think it's going to be hard to find this one. It's not nearly as popular as the others.