TimeSplitters (and Second Sight) coming back. Or so I hear.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

This just passed me by, but as I was skimming GodisaGeek, I came across the news that Koch Media (THQ Nordic) has acquired the rights to TimeSplitters and Second Sight. I'm mostly just interested in TimeSplitters since I only played that, and maybe I'm wrong, but I assume most people are probably more interested in that series as well, but since they also got the rights to Second Sight I thought I'd mention it as well. This is a quote from Klemens Kundatrits, who is the CEO of Koch Media.

"We are hugely excited to have acquired Timesplitters," “The original games gave fans a massive content offer and provided a pure and genuinely fun arcade shooter experience. We have many fans of the Timesplitters series among our own staff who are passionate about creating a product that will thrill todays gaming audience.”

Who here played TimeSplitters? For me, two and three had my brother, friends, and myself hooked. Playing two and three is one of my fondest experiences of the generation it came out on. I actually just recently, finally got through Homefront The Revolution, and you can play two TS2 levels in it; although archaic, it was still fun enough. I didn't much care for TimeSplitters 1 however. I hope whatever comes next is good, but it's too early to say so it's too early to be super excited. Here's hoping that TimeSplitters 2 & 3 are put on back compat for the Xbox One. Anyways, it's time to split.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By WheresDerrick

Timesplitters 2, Future Perfect, and Second Sight are all mint. If they do a compilation of all three Timesplitters into one package, that'd be perfect. And I don't mean a simple remaster, but actually combining all the content into one, so all exclusive TS1, TS2, and FP characters, levels, and weapons can all be used in one single multiplayer. Add in online with Mapmaker sharing, too.

Second Sight remaster would be grand as well. IMO, it's a much better game than Psi-Ops both in gameplay and story, and the twist is one of my most memorable for how good it was.

This news was good news.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wheresderrick: Hmm, a full remaster like that would definitely be cool.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

This news has me so excited. I love the TS games and Future Perfect is one of my all-time favorites. I would love a remaster of the trilogy as well as an all-new game obviously. Although I wonder what this means for the TimeSplitters Rewind project...

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Always thought Second Sight was better than Psi Ops so I’m hapoy to hear this.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WheresDerrick

@killem_dafoe said:

This news has me so excited. I love the TS games and Future Perfect is one of my all-time favorites. I would love a remaster of the trilogy as well as an all-new game obviously. Although I wonder what this means for the TimeSplitters Rewind project...

I never expected it to be finished ever irregardless. Progress was always so incredibly slow and the engine changes and issues between team members didn't leave me with much faith.

Also I'd rather have a straight port or remake by the original creators than an imitation on another engine anyways. I like Goldeneye Source, but I'd prefer the real thing.

Best case scenario, some of the artists from Rewind get hired/contracted to work on Timesplitters related stuff.

Vod_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

Great news. Loved TimeSplitters and I thought Second Sight was very slept on.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played the shit out of Timesplitters 2 back in the day. What a game.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait to stealth some dudes all over again.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never played them, i always saw Timesplitters as a spiritual successor to Goldeneye and Perfect Dark and i love those games, so i'd love to see a remaster collection so i can check em out. People always spoke about Second Sight with some kind of reverence so i'd be up for checking that out too.

As far as new games go? I don't know, not many linear campaigns in AAA games these days, so unless the next Timesplitters is a Battle Royale or a procedurally generated roguelike...

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#11  Edited By bobafettjm

I am actually way more excited about the prospect of a remaster of Second Sight than I am of Timesplitters. Unless they modernize the controls somewhat I think people will be disappointed when they play them again.

Second Sight was one of my favorite out of nowhere games of that generation. I just played it knowing nothing about it beforehand and really loved it.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By WheresDerrick

@cikame said:

Never played them, i always saw Timesplitters as a spiritual successor to Goldeneye and Perfect Dark and i love those games, so i'd love to see a remaster collection so i can check em out. People always spoke about Second Sight with some kind of reverence so i'd be up for checking that out too.

As far as new games go? I don't know, not many linear campaigns in AAA games these days, so unless the next Timesplitters is a Battle Royale or a procedurally generated roguelike...

Timesplitter's strength was always a good campaign and a great, super varied multiplayer.

The campaigns might not have been the best as far as gameplay and structure and AI, but the humor was great, especially in Future Perfect, as were the settings. Every single level was an entirely new setting and set of enemies and weapons. A modern sequel should obviously take any advantages we've received since the originals released, otherwise we would end up with Perfect Dark Zero.

The multiplayer really just needs online, which Future Perfect had until Xbox Live was killed. You can make it crossplay between Switch, Xbox, and PC (god willing, Playstation) because there wouldn't be any major differences between them beyond performance.

And yes, you could theoretically even had a battle royale mode, and with how many characters they have, every single player could be a unique character to boot. You could even have the map be separated into different timezones, so there's a futuristic sci fi area that takes up 1/6 the map, a 1930s gangster area, etc etc, with time distortions acting as the zone closing in. The longer you stay in the time distortions, the more artifacts and glitches start happening until you eventually get warped out of existence.