No 40k or arpg people huh?

Doom616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Just tried this yesterday and I gotta say it was pretty sweet. I don't know much about 40k lore, just getting into Warhammer lore but I will be reading more 40k. Seems all the enemies are chaos which is ok but I would like to see at least the ork faction.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked it up when the final "beta" build landed. While I've been wishing for a 40k arpg for a while I don't think this hits the mark. I remember my thoughts after my first session was that it's a 7,5 rated 7,5 game (as in, they did an decent job at executing a decent idea). The beta has some issues that probably could get ironed out, but that doesn't change the fact that it's quite bland. I've given it more shots than it deserves and every time I play 2-4 missions and then I'm too bored to keep going.

It needs more enemy and environment variety and a more interesting skill system badly. It also uses a progression system that I don't understand why anyone would choose. Instead of the tried and true "numbers grow bigger with levels" it uses the "level discrepancy neuters your damage and boosts their damage" which is just a feel-bad system.

Still gonna give it a final shot with the release, but not gonna keep my hopes up.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's on my radar but i will wait until full release and even then probably for a sale.

AndrooD2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

In the grim darkness of the far future there is only bore(dom)?

Just give me a goddamn Eisenhorn game.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I'm pretty tired of Space Marines. Warhammer 40K has so many cool races it seems silly to make game after game that focuses on the Space Marines. Also, an almost full-price game from developers who have only made some mediocre $15 games in the past is asking a lot.

Avatar image for sergeantbuttons
SergeantButtons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want them to do more with the lore as well. The Inquisition and Space Marines are the doofiest, least compelling part of the lore.

There's a novel series called "Gaunt's Ghosts" by Dan Abnett, about a regiment of light infantry from a dead planet who specialize in guerilla warfare. I want them to make a Metal Gear Solid-esque game based on them. Shit would be tight.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@androod2: I'm pretty sure one exists, or at least someone started the development of one. Vinny ran an Unfinished of it a couple of years ago.

Don't know what came of it, but here.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Give me a mass effect like warhammer 40k game please.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron said:

I'm pretty tired of Space Marines. Warhammer 40K has so many cool races it seems silly to make game after game that focuses on the Space Marines. Also, an almost full-price game from developers who have only made some mediocre $15 games in the past is asking a lot.

This is a problem with Games Workshop as a whole. Space Marines are the moneymaker, so it makes sense, but I feel like it's a cycle where they only make Space Marine stuff, so the Space Marines are the most popular, so they only make Space Marine stuff and so on. It's basically always power armor religious zealots vs Event Horizon, with some orks thrown in for comic relief once in a while.

The only real exception is the constant release of Space Hulk games. Every time I check steam there's a new one in early access. Even then it's still space marines.

Looks like things are maybe changing though. At the very least they seem to be pushing the Mechanicus vs Necrons with that new box set and that Xcom-looking videogame. It's still imperium, but it's not space marines, and necrons aren't chaos.

I'm just amazed no one's tried to make a mech game for the Tau yet.

Inquisitor Martyr has me torn. I don't like Diablo-style games, but this looks a bit slower and more methodical than those, so I might enjoy it more. I'm gonna wait a while for a deep sale and full release, I think.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brackstone: Man, I've been getting into a bunch of Warhammer games recently and after checking some stuff up on youtube their algorithm has sent me down a deep hole. There's some really crazy Empire worship going on, like people who just religiously buy anything and everything Space Marine-related that Games Workshop makes. It wouldn't surprise me if the slew of Space Marine games being released are made purely to cash out on these people.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

After getting into WH40K last year (got a dozen of painted Dark Angels and a group of Adeptus Custodes I haven't finished yet, read several of the Horus Heresy books and the Eisenhorn Trilogy) has made me interested in several 40K games. Sadly, not that many of them seem that good. I am hoping this will turn out good, as I enjoy Diablo-style games. The most recent reviews say that it seems to not be that finished, but I also think the Early Access version out right now does't have everything the final game will have. It's out in a few days anyway, so I guess time will tell.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Brackstone

@ares42 said:

@brackstone: Man, I've been getting into a bunch of Warhammer games recently and after checking some stuff up on youtube their algorithm has sent me down a deep hole. There's some really crazy Empire worship going on, like people who just religiously buy anything and everything Space Marine-related that Games Workshop makes. It wouldn't surprise me if the slew of Space Marine games being released are made purely to cash out on these people.

I remember seeing some statistics that for the tabletop game, about 50% of the armies out there are space marine army, and that's not including the various flavours and factions of space marine like Space Wolves and Custodes and such. I want to say Imperial Guard are 2nd place, and Adeptus Mechanicus are in 5th or so and they're pretty much the newest army in the game.

In the past little while the tabletop game introduced Primaris Marines, basically an entire new plastic line of slightly more powerful space marine stuff that they say totally isn't meant to replace your old space marines eventually, but conveniently these new ones cost more per model and are incompatible with any of the old transport vehicles. It's basically a new faction's worth of models, but they're not all that different from the old ones. They made them because they knew they'd sell like hotcakes.

And here I am thinking some plastic vespid would be just swell.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@androod2 said:

I don't want an Eisenhorn game unless it's a point and click adventure where you investigate and prosecute threats to the Imperium and it's called Law and Ordo.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By odinsmana

@androod2 said:

They did actually make an Eisenhorn game. From what I heard it`s pretty bad, but coincidentally it`s on sale for 3 bucks right now, so if you`re a big fan of Eisenhorn and want to check it out it might be worth it. https://store.steampowered.com/app/373920/Eisenhorn_XENOS/

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Casepb
Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

JoeDangerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JoeDangerous

Oooo this looks way up my alley. Hey thanks for posting about this I'm totally going to keep an eye on it and wait for a full release.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

After getting into WH40K last year (got a dozen of painted Dark Angels and a group of Adeptus Custodes I haven't finished yet, read several of the Horus Heresy books and the Eisenhorn Trilogy) has made me interested in several 40K games. Sadly, not that many of them seem that good. I am hoping this will turn out good, as I enjoy Diablo-style games. The most recent reviews say that it seems to not be that finished, but I also think the Early Access version out right now does't have everything the final game will have. It's out in a few days anyway, so I guess time will tell.

I think Warhammer 40K: Space Marine is pretty good if you like the lore. In terms of gameplay it's a run-of-the-mill Gears knockoff, but the lore is spot on and they do a really good job of making your Space Marine character feel heavy and powerful.

Doom616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surprised at all the "I'm tired of space marines" talk. Y'all know more than I do about 40k but it still surprises me. Just started getting into Regular Warhammer earlier this year and have ordered a great many omnibuses omnibusi? lol anyway I just ordered a bunch of 40k as well which I look forward to reading. What little I have played of this game I really like so far but feels like it would be a lot more fun with fellow inquisitors blasting away at your side. Hopefully they add more enemies down the line, now I am new to 40k do inquisitors only hunt down chaos or other threats as well? I know I can just look this up but I am asking anyway.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know or care much about warhammer but i want a good new arpg. I honestly don't even know anything about it outside of space marine

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ares42

@doom616: The last five years has seen an average of almost five new 40k games per year, with the vast vast majority being you playing as a space marine (or representing the empire in some way). While most of them are "under the radar" games, it's still pretty crazy how hard Games Workshop has gone in on this market.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doom616 said:

Surprised at all the "I'm tired of space marines" talk. Y'all know more than I do about 40k but it still surprises me. Just started getting into Regular Warhammer earlier this year and have ordered a great many omnibuses omnibusi? lol anyway I just ordered a bunch of 40k as well which I look forward to reading. What little I have played of this game I really like so far but feels like it would be a lot more fun with fellow inquisitors blasting away at your side. Hopefully they add more enemies down the line, now I am new to 40k do inquisitors only hunt down chaos or other threats as well? I know I can just look this up but I am asking anyway.

Depends on what kind of Inquisitor they are. Some are meant to root out demons, others root out corruption (not necessarily caused by chaos) within imperium organizations and others specifically hunt down aliens and stop their infiltration. So it's possible some aliens could be added later in a large expansion.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@inkerman: I actually played that after watching the Quick Look! That might have been one of the earlier things that made me more curious about Warhammer in general. But it was only last year I felt I had the money to start collecting and working on miniatures. I should go back and play the game again, now that I actually have some understanding of the lore and everything.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game looks interesting, I almost jumped in. But after reading a lot of the steam reviews, this feels very much like a 'wait and see what they end up releasing as the final product'. As the general consensus seems to be "Generic and repetitive, only distinguishing feature is the 40k skin; Only recommended for major 40k nerds". Whom, I assume already play/have made up their mind on the game.

The issue with anything 40k I've ever had is pretty simple. Please reproduce the real-world physical game-play/collectible nature of the game in digital form already! The licence holders fear of producing a digital version of the actual game boggles my mind, and always will.

Like, I might be willing to spend a great deal of money on the game, if I could just play it digitally. I don't have the time to travel to play in person, the skill to paint, the room in my house to store a decent collection, etc etc etc. But as an adult who has always wanted to play, who has a lot of friends who either are in the same boat or liked playing back when they had lots of free time and a decent collection they have now sold off, we are all in the "If it were only digital.."

Like, they could make it as costly as the real-life thing. Have digital versions of units that can only be unlocked with codes you get from buying said units physically. They could nickle and dime every last bit of the experience...and I would STILL gladdly start spending money on the damn thing. I can't be alone in this.

I love 40k lore, its goofy and nerdy and etc. I have -always- wanted to have my own army of..well Gray Knights because I am boring. (Also I once read a rule that said Grey Knights could field any emperial unit from any other human faction, cause lore. This gave me visions of a small elite Grey Knight Squad flanked by the biggest Imperial Tanks and the coolest unique/exclusve units from all the other Space Marine factions). A thing I am sure you can't actually do..but whatever!

Their inability to realize just how much money they stand to make, even if they take the single most cut-throat and un-consumer friendly stance for how they monetize it just confounds me. I am convinced the people in charge are just old and scared of technology and still clinging to the completely false idea that a digital version of their game will eat into physical product, instead of providing potential to feed back into it (again, only let me have digitial versions of miniatures I buy in real life if you have too! Just let me paint and play with digital versions of them please and thank you). Let alone the fact that something like Magic the Gathering has had a fully realized digital version for well over a decade, and its been one of (if not the) biggest profit-producing parts of that games bottom line, without hurting the physical market at all.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Casepb

So as of now this game is enjoyable, but buggy and has awful performance for me. Running it on a 7700k and GTX 1070. Last week it ran pretty well, was getting around 100fps for the first few missions. This week after the release update, I can barely hold on to 60fps and I often dip down to 20fps while standing idle. So I recommend waiting for them to fix the performance before buying.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I'm waiting for the final build when its released on Ps4 later this year. I didn't feel like getting this game in early access.

stingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just started playing this week. Really liking it even though I don't understand all of it.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played about 40 hours of it, it's pretty good but the range weapons ended up being really bad and I was pretty much stuck using one weapon the entire time. Apparently they did some balance changes but I haven't tried it in a long time.