Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Forza Motorsport 3

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Oct 27, 2009

Turn 10's third installment in the Forza series. Forza Motorsport 3 offers 100 tracks and 400 cars with full customization, as well as video editing and uploading.

All this needed was rain and night.

Necrorrilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Necrorrilla

Seriously, if I was a developer I would put moniez into developing a real world lighting engine to double the replay value with a night time version of each track and then rain would add so much on its own.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By iam3green

i think it would be great if they put in rain and night play. it would be awesome i think. i think the rain from how the game looks it would look pretty. 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Diamond

Dynamic time of day would have been cool, I get tired of the glare off the road in the same places.  I love rain, but adding icy road conditions would have been cool too.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By meteora

Yeah, I totally agree. I would have loved night tracks, rain and maybe snow.

roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By roofy

but no professional circuit races at night...

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By meteora
    @roofy said:
    " but no professional circuit races at night... "
    Just because professional circuits do not race at night, doesn't necessarily mean we can't have them in the game.
    roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By roofy
    @Meteora: but forza is a sim. they dont create, they imitate very well
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By meteora
    @roofy said:
    " @Meteora: but forza is a sim. they dont create, they imitate very well "
    Its a sim in a sense that it has very realistic driving and awesome physics. Last I remember in real life we don't have a rewind button to mash on, anime cars and a HUD for driving.
    roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By roofy
    @Meteora: those are provided so that it can be played as a game. they are design decisions.

when it comes down to the race experience they want it to be as realistic as they can get it. racing in the middle of night is not realistic
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By meteora
    @roofy: Okay, if that's what you want. Then what about rain? Nobody can actually really do much about that.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Diamond
    @roofy: There is night racing, at least in stadiums with lighting, would be perfectly fine to simulate that way.  Also there's events like LeMans which happens at night partially as well.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Out_On_Bail

Most races are cancelled or postponed if it rains too much. It's unsafe. I agree though night races would of been nice. 

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Adamantium

Whoa Forza 3 doesn't have rain or night races? Damn just when it was starting to gain some of my respect for being a sim nearly on par with GT. Oh well, there's always DLC, or Forza 4.  :/

Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
    PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure a 24 hr endurance race hits night time eventually, so there are real night races. Now if only Forza also added a track editor

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Diamond
    @Adamantium:   I *hope* GT5 will have rain & night races.  No actual video of either as of yet...
    Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Adamantium
    @Diamond said:
    " @Adamantium:   I *hope* GT5 will have rain & night races.  No actual video of either as of yet... "
    I'm sure it will... both have been in past iterations of the series. But yeah, there is a pretty heavy dearth of information available on GT5 still, and I've been waiting for it for like 3 years.
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Bouke

i guess rain would be so much work to put in, everything changes, the way everything looks, the way the cars handle, spectators with umbrella's. It would be even harder if its dynamic weather and once the rain stops you have a dry line forming on the track and on other parts the track is still wet. I'm not to far into the carreer so i haven't unlocked the endurance races, but i was kind of hoping daytime changes. Like mentioned before 24 hour races last through the night so it would be great to have that in there. In those races you have two or three drivers per car and a driver has to change after four hours. Maybe they can put that in, and then you can let the AI driver or a friend take over... i doubt many paople would play that though! Didn't GT4 have 24 hour races?
    trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By trace
    @Bouke said:

" Didn't GT4 have 24 hour races? "

GT4 had a couple of 24 hour races, yeah. You either had to be insane or use copious amounts of B-Spec to complete them. The GT series also has had rain and night races, as mentioned, but they were their own separate tracks. A couple tracks always ran at night, and one track was somehow always wet.  There wasn't anything dynamic about them.

I guess that's the only way I'd really be satisfied with rain and night: they'd need to be dynamic, and done almost perfectly. Tracks would need to develop dry lines depending on the amount of rain and the lines drivers are using, and water would need to run along bankings to make them even more hazardous. Then you'd have to implement wet and hybrid tires that drivers could jump into the pits for if it started to rain, which is another problem, since a few Forza tracks don't have pit lanes.

Same deal with night racing -- if I can't choose the exact time of day or night to start a race and have the lighting of the track match what it'd look like, changing as time progresses, it's not really worthwhile to me. It'd also take long races to see any major difference in lighting, unless you pulled a Test Drive Le Mans and had an accelerated time feature. Beyond that, all you get out of night racing is either a heavily-lit track that manages to look cool and nothing else, or a completely dark track that's more painful than fun to drive around. Maybe a combination of both at some tracks.

It's all needlessly complex for features most players would rarely use or enjoy.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By eroticfishcake

Once any racing game with dynamic time and weather with the 24Hour Le Mans race, I'll be more then happy. At least it feels like time is passing when I'm driving.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By crunchUK
    @roofy said:

" but no professional circuit races at night... "

Ever heard of lemans? And i believe some F1 races were held at night this year. Still though, seeing just a patch of tarmac whizz by and the lights of other cars would be so exciting
    roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By roofy
    @crunchUK: good point about lemans but i havent seen any F1 races at night. 

maybe dynamic time of day wouldnt be soo bad. FarCry 2 did it pretty well
    Grandprix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Grandprix

Singapore has held an F1 night race the past 2 years and Abu Dhabi had a race this year that started as the sun went down and ended at night. 

EDIT: The British Touring Car Championship used to do night races a few years ago, although they stopped doing them now, which is a shame.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @roofy said:

" @crunchUK: good point about lemans but i havent seen any F1 races at night.   maybe dynamic time of day wouldnt be soo bad. FarCry 2 did it pretty well "

Singapore & Abu Dhabi are both night races in Formula 1. And I think they're introducing a third night race next year, but I'm not sure.
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bouke

The difference is that in Formula 1 they just have a massive ammount of lights to light the track, but with the LeMans series there aren't as many lights next to the track and the cars have lights. I think that would be a better experience then a track with lights, because that is not that different from driving during daytime.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By JJWeatherman

Good idea. Those would add a lot to the game I think. Maybe they will patch it like Criterion did for Burnout, though I won't hold my breath.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By DJ_Lae

I don't think it needs it, to be honest. If you want weather, PGR4 does it fantastically well. 

Gran Turismo's staple of a handful of night courses and one or two 'wet' courses doesn't excite me much.
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bouke
    @DJ_Lae:
    If you make it it should be dynamic, not just a track that its always raining on. But i agree with you that Forza 3 doesn't need these things to be a good game. Maybe they can work it into the next installment?
    Hazard5040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hazard5040

Prolly alot harder to run 60FPS with rain and snow... 
    but it would be alot of fun...  
    if you play tag, you can make the person who is it have 75% traction loss, that is alot of fun, and somewhat simulates snow driving =D
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Diamond
    @Hazard5040 said:
    Prolly alot harder to fun 60FPS with rain and snow...
    Not that hard if they made the effects simple.  However the additional art work to the courses would be a huge task.  You'd also be in a situation of requiring almost 3 times the disk space for tracks if you did it, and a dynamic weather / time of day system would eat a much larger chunk of performance than just having 'day' 'night' 'rain' 'snow'.
    pakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By pakx

i agree. but oh well, that'd why i still own GRiD.

dunc12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By dunc12
    @pakx: yes, grid did night driving really well with the le mans races lasting 24 minutes, and seeing the sun come up in slow motion as you raced towards the horizon was pretty exhilarating. 

PGR4 did snow driving very well, although only 1 or 2 tracks used it as i recall.maybe turn 10 should take a hint from bizzare creations?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.