Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War: Ascension

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 12, 2013

Before he was a God, Kratos was a man. A prequel, God of War: Ascension is the fourth major title of the God of War series, and Kratos' final outing on the PS3. It is the first to include a multiplayer component.

Hardest GoW yet. Am I missing something?

TranceQuina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TranceQuina

I used to be pretty good at these games, I've even finished a couple of them on the hardest difficulty. But this one is really tearing me a new one by comparison, especially this Archimedes tower or whatever.

Trying to parry is too risky because of the asinine recovery time it has, and if I get hit once in a combo I automatically get hit 2 or 3 more times. Why there are flames nearby I have no idea, because I can't actually throw any of these enemies. The sirens with the lightning are some of the most frustrating enemies in the series in my opinion, particularly when there are 3+ at a time. I know about using the L2 abilities and that they're supposed to give you a pretty good edge, but I hate having to constantly watch those tiny circular gauges fill back up in the midst of everything happening onscreen in order to use them as frequently as possible.

I can usually make it through the first of the challenges but with a thread of health left, so I get trounced by the chicks with the spears in the tiny, tiny, TINY fucking hallway that keep double-teaming me with vicious combos.

Any help here would be awesome. This game just feels so different from the other God of War games and I'm just not understanding why I'm making it so hard for myself. Thanks!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

Idea for difficulty mode name: Dark Souls.

Sorry, I haven't played the game but I just thought of that. The other God of War games were petty easy. I remember getting through III on hard with ease until I stumbled upon this gate where multiple impossible to defeat enemies spawn and gave up. Weird.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By awesomeusername

That part was actually really hard on normal. They patched it up though. A lot of people had trouble with it. Just give up on that.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Heltom92

I just finished the game and to be honest, I think the combat is pretty bad. I don't know what exactly it is exactly but it just feels off. Thinking about there really aren't many different combos and the fact that there's really only one weapon makes the combat feel really boring. Also, Kratos feels really slow and clunky to me.

Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Eidderf

@heltom92 said:

I just finished the game and to be honest, I think the combat is pretty bad. I don't know what exactly it is exactly but it just feels off. Thinking about there really aren't many different combos and the fact that there's really only one weapon makes the combat feel really boring. Also, Keatos feels really slow and clunky to me.

No Caption Provided

Sorry I know, this is spammy but I couldn't resist, makes even less sense now the post has been edited.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yeah, I felt the combat took a massive turn in the wrong direction in the fun department. I felt like I was constantly getting interrupted by the enemy attacks. Just to make sure I wasn't sugarcoating the God of War experience I went back to God of War 3 and instantly had a lot more fun in the combat then I did at any point in combat in this game. When I got to the Trial of Archimedes I tried a couple times, then simply gave up. I was renting the game, the patch wasn't out yet and I didn't feel like wasting my time trying to get good at a combat system that I wasn't enjoying.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

For the first round, stick to the edges when the sirens appear and use the Hades magic and they will be knocked out of the arena. The slow down attack and the Kratos clone are also your friend and use them whenever you can. Role and block, don't parry unless you are sure you can nail it.

For the second round, block and role, grabbing harpies and throwing them at the blue ladies whenever possible. Let the Kratos clone take these ladies out and also remember to slow them down when possible. Make the fight one on one whenever possible, don't try to attack them both at the same time. When the big guy comes out, keep your focus on dodging the fire and slow down the big guy while busting out the Kratos clone and chipping away at him.

If you can get past these the third part is pretty easy. Stay in the center and beat the horse beast. After that, juggle the purple bastards in the air and don't let them touch the ground.

What difficulty are you playing it on? I played it on hard and I felt that some of the earlier sections of the game were way harder then the trials.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Heltom92

@eidderf said:

@heltom92 said:

I just finished the game and to be honest, I think the combat is pretty bad. I don't know what exactly it is exactly but it just feels off. Thinking about there really aren't many different combos and the fact that there's really only one weapon makes the combat feel really boring. Also, Keatos feels really slow and clunky to me.

No Caption Provided

Sorry I know, this is spammy but I couldn't resist, makes even less sense now the post has been edited.

Fair play man, the opportunity was there and you took it. I respect that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.