Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Nov 29, 2010

Golden Sun returns on the Nintendo DS, starring the descendants of the original game's protagonists. It is the first entry on the DS, and the first in full 3D. It was released in Japan on October 28, 2010 and in North America on November 29, 2010.

Expectations?

Kbm600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Kbm600

So I'm not real certain on the difference in combat in this game compared to Golden Sun and Golden Sun II but I'm really excited for the return of everyone's favorite elemental sprites, the djinn

What are some expectations you guys have for the new game? I never finished the second Golden Sun, so I'll probably read up on the story as I won't bother playing through all of it, but I really hope there is prominent reference to the original protagonists of Golden Sun. I was a little disappointed in the party change between the games, even if it was interesting to see it from a different perspective. I last heard that the protagonists of Dark Dawn are the descendants of the original cast, do you think this will be played on too heavily?

Regardless of concerns, I am stoked for my favorite part of the previous games. The different combinations of djinn that allowed you to have awesome and creative spells for your characters, I always really enjoyed being inventive with that system.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By ReyGitano

I remember loving Golden Sun 1 and 2. I remember nothing else about it other than naming the characters after my friends and strange animals that gave me powers.
    Hopefully I'll be able to enjoy this one as much as I did the other two.

Avatar image for coheedfavorhouse
    CoheedFavorHouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By CoheedFavorHouse

God I haven't played golden sun in so long. i wish the cartridge was still in my possession, all this dark dawn talk has inspired a ridiculous wave of nostalgia. Oh well, I guess this is one reason to bring my DS to college.

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By nick_verissimo

I'm cautiously optimistic. The Lost Age was left with a cliff-note ending, so considering that they've chosen (from what i know) to continue that and go in another direction, it has me somewhat scared for what this game is going to be. Sure, it might be in the same universe and the characters are descendants of the other ones in the series, but it just seems like they are making this game in order to tug on the heart strings of those who played the original games and generate an audience that way.  I'm very excited for this game as the Golden sun series was my favourite rpg growing up, but I'm not going to surprised if it doesn't live up to the previous two.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By Timing
    @nick_verissimo: From what I've seen so far Dark Dawn seems pretty similar to 1 and 2, aside from the polygons and some unfortunate and inevitable stylus actions of course. Here's one of the latest gameplay clips:  

And here are three more: One, Two, Three 

If anything I'd say they're trying to retain the original audience, rather than going out of their way to generate a new one, unless I misunderstood you and that's what you meant. Either way, what they're doing is working for me, because I'm very much looking forward to it. I agree though, that'll it'll be hard to match the quality of the first two, but if the above videos are any indication it looks the game will be great. Great enough for me at least.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Afroman269

I don't really know. Like holy shit it's been so long since I played those games but I am excited to dive into this world again. I just don't know what to expect is all.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By ch13696

As far as I know, when you use the djinni, there are only 4 summons per element. I just hope there are more. That's the one thing I love about RPG's. Tons of abilities and magic spells.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I'd want to be excited for this, but I've completely forgotten what's going on story wise.  Something about lighthouses...?  To really want to play this, I'd need to replay the first and second games and I'm not sure if I want to yet.  I suppose there's always the option of reading the story on the Internet, though.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By Timing
    @FluxWaveZ: Lucas M. Thomas on IGN actually wrote a pretty good article on everything that's happened so far. If you want a comprehensive summary, I'd recommend you read that one.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Brendan

My expectations are too high, my hopes are unfulfillable, and the shoes are too big for this game to fill, but I'm still excited nonetheless.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Timing: Oh wow, thanks!  I'll make sure to read that.  I won't be able to play it until the launch of the 3DS, but at least I'll know what's going on in the story when I do.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.