Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo

Franchise »

The Real Driving Simulator (in the comfort of your own home)

Gran Turismo 6, Wait For PlayStation 4?

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

Sup GT fans, 

With all the dedication PD is putting on the bi-monthly patches for GT5, and the promise that standard cars will be turned into premium cars, should PD focus on making GT5 the perfected driving sim over the next coming year(s)? 

Or should they push out Gran Turismo 6 with the foundation they have with with GT5?  They could make GT6 the proper swan-song for the PS3 and it would sell at least the same number as GT5.  Too be honest, I kinda want PD to focus on pushing out new cars and content for GT5 as the foundation is already solid.  All they'd need to do is keep pushing out updates and I'd gladly pay for car packs or even expansion discs that contain more crap.  Sure it would break tradition of two GT games per generation but maybe GTPSP can substitute?   

With the Standard to Premium coming out, it gives GT5 well over 1,000 proper cars in high detail...what else could they give us?  Every year they could come out with a pack that has all the years cars and some surprises (a new X1 model).  They could add more tracks and the new yearly F1 cars.  What else would people want? 

New events?  Well we got those every month from the seasonal stuff and maybe the updates can add proper ones down the road? 

So what say you?  Should PD focus on keeping GT5 the top selling and most popular racing game this generation?  Or just work on Gran Turismo 6 and cash out with another 8-10 million sales while giving the PS3 a proper goodbye?  

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Aus_azn

Perfect GT5 instead. I think they'll piss of a hell of a lot of GT5 purchasers if GT6 is "the game your game could be like". I could really care less about GT6 and it following tradition; I'd rather have them redesign it on a new system. I don't think they would push that many copies even if it pisses off only 1/5 of the GT5 purchasers

Looking at GT3-GT4 on the PS2, GT3 was a port of the old PS1 engine at the early point in the PS2's lifetime (note the sudden and rapid endless acceleration once any car hits 270mph, present in both GT2 and GT3), whereas GT4 drove, felt and looked like a new game and lacked those exploits. Not to mention that it came in the latter portion of the PS2's "real" lifespan. 

If we assume standard logic, GT5 came far too late in the PS3's lifespan for them to realistically develop another game, and following that logic, a new engine. They'd be far better served making a game for the PS4.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Red12b
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I think waiting for PS4 would be best. 
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By xyzygy

The menus and general design of that game is really messed up and a lot of it isn't something you can just change with a patch.. I'd say they should just focus on GT6 because if they keep updating 5 it will take forever.

GiantBeddo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By GiantBeddo

Wonder whether they would be able to make a GT6 by PS4, cause goodness me, they took their time for GT5. 

I still don't understand how Sony could let it happen that it took so long for their major race franchise to make it onto their new console. It was a major cause of the slow start off of the PS3, IMO.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KaosAngel
    @GiantBeddo: It paid off though.  In only six weeks GT5 became the top selling racing game this generation and the top selling PS3 exclusive.  Combined sales of GT5P and GT5 are well over 10,000,000 units.  PD made some serious bank this generation.
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By AlexW00d

I hope they keep updating and 'perfecting' 5.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By animateria

Perfect 5. 

Use that knowledge to make 6 amazing.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Skald

Might as well put 6 on the PS4. It's not like you can really make the game look or feel any better on current generation hardware. You could make the challenges more fun, but that's a design choice, not a hardware limitation.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xyzygy
    @KaosAngel said:

" @GiantBeddo: It paid off though.  In only six weeks GT5 became the top selling racing game this generation and the top selling PS3 exclusive.  Combined sales of GT5P and GT5 are well over 10,000,000 units.  PD made some serious bank this generation. "

But looking at the series as a whole, the combined sales of GT4 alone are well over 11,000,000. GT3 is even higher. The series is definitely not as popular as it once was, though still is popular. Add in the fact that it costs more to make games now and they're not making as much money as they once were, by far.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KaosAngel
    @xyzygy: Are you drunk?  First six weeks GT5 is out pacing GT4, and it's still selling strong in Europe.  F1 is starting up and PD paid for a lot of GT5 ads, so it'll keep selling.  GT5 thus far is outselling GT4 over the same time period.   What other racing game has sold over 6 million in just six weeks?  Gran Turismo 3, and that's all.  

PD even said GT5 is pure profit.  GT5P sales were more than enough for costs for GT5. 

PD sold a demo that racked up well over 5 million units over 3 years.  GT5 sold over 6 million in just the first six weeks.
    gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By gamb1t
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @xyzygy: Are you drunk?  First six weeks GT5 is out pacing GT4, and it's still selling strong in Europe.  F1 is starting up and PD paid for a lot of GT5 ads, so it'll keep selling.  GT5 thus far is outselling GT4 over the same time period.   What other racing game has sold over 6 million in just six weeks?  Gran Turismo 3, and that's all.   PD even said GT5 is pure profit.  GT5P sales were more than enough for costs for GT5.  PD sold a demo that racked up well over 5 million units over 3 years.  GT5 sold over 6 million in just the first six weeks. "
    CA$H MONEY
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @gamb1t said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " @xyzygy: Are you drunk?  First six weeks GT5 is out pacing GT4, and it's still selling strong in Europe.  F1 is starting up and PD paid for a lot of GT5 ads, so it'll keep selling.  GT5 thus far is outselling GT4 over the same time period.   What other racing game has sold over 6 million in just six weeks?  Gran Turismo 3, and that's all.   PD even said GT5 is pure profit.  GT5P sales were more than enough for costs for GT5.  PD sold a demo that racked up well over 5 million units over 3 years.  GT5 sold over 6 million in just the first six weeks. "
    CA$H MONEY "
    You heard it here first.

Gran Turismo Episodes
    GiantBeddo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By GiantBeddo
    @KaosAngel:  not having played GT5, but did they really have to spend that much time on it for its success? And did they spend all their time on making the cars look good, or did they actually improve on the gameplay of GT4 and that whatsitcalled HD thingy they released for the PS3 as a paid trailer?

Anyway, I wasn't in doubt whether or not Sony were going to make money on GT5, but there was a lot of doubt (not any longer, no, but still) on whether they were going to on the PS3. Getting a major release for your major franchises strikes me as an obvious way to promoto a follow up console. All that put at risk for making the prime cars look extra snazzy. As if that is the important thing for a racing game. Yet another snazzy car bites the dust for lack of control... (but that's my GT-control prejudice acting up)
    marvin_martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By marvin_martian

PD needs to take their time to pack in tons of content into GT6.  I really doubt they would be able to make it fit into this generation's life cycle, and would rather them make it all it could be than to release another GT5.  At this point in time, there needs to be two teams working on GT (current and new.)  GT5 has been in my playstation since launch and I am honestly getting bored of it; there just isn't much to do now.

I remember being legitimately let down and disappointed when the car and track lists came out.  PD needs to INCLUDE MORE TRACKS, not devote 40% of their resources on modeling a million nissans, and have more events.  There is absolutely no excuse to leave out so many awesome tracks from previous games.

GT6 just needs a longer, more involved career mode, and I really do not think they can make this happen with any amount of quality on the PS3.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KaosAngel
    @marvin_martian: Kazu said the biggest problem with the PS3 is the RAM, everything else is fine but it's the RAM that held back GT5 by the second.  His vision of a proper GT game can't be made unless it's on PC, and back when GT4 came out he flat out said if he wasn't contracted by Sony, Gran Turismo would be a PC series instead.  
    DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DukesT3

Make GT6 a launch title for the next console. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.