Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

I really dislike how you can miss cutscenes

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

For missions you can start with multiple characters you can miss a lot of cutscenes. For example the mission where Michael chases the tennis coach out of the house. If you start it with franklin you will miss the entire cutscene and just see the guy running away.

Yillb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played the game but do missions start you off with the "correct" character?

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started that mission as Michael, I was wondering what would happen the other way around. That's cool from an immersion perspective, but yeah that whole cutscene with Michael was great.

When you replay a mission from the pause menu, how does it choose which character to start with?

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I only noticed that this happens when I was already towards the end of the game. It didn't bother me, I just loaded a save and entered the scene with a different character.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Eh, Im fine with it. Besides there is a mission replay feature so If im interested in filling in the details I can do so later.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By redyoshi

Yeah, I think I missed a cutscene in a Trevor/Franklin mission, which sucks 'cause that mission was great, I would've loved to have seen more of the set up for it. I should probably see if replaying it can get me anything I missed. I just know I'm going to be playing the rest of the game with this weighing heavily if those cutscenes are lost until another playthrough or something.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

That kinda does suck, actually.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Sterling

Its not bad. You can switch to the other character and replay the mission as them to see what you missed.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I think it's great. Different perspective from different characters. Franklin wouldn't know what's going on, he just sees Michael mad chasing some guy and gets dragged along in the moment.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

It wasn't 100% apparent to me that cutscenes actually did differ, but now that I'm aware of it, I probably will go back and replay some missions (was probably going to anyway) with different characters to see if stuff changes.

To be honest, I'm not upset about missing it though. I actually think it's pretty cool.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus said:

I think it's great. Different perspective from different characters. Franklin wouldn't know what's going on, he just sees Michael mad chasing some guy and gets dragged along in the moment.

Yep, I agree with this.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By spraynardtatum

Each character has their own color. I'm pretty sure I remember that mission being blue so it makes sense that the cutscene would play if you're Michael.

Anyone know if you get the cutscene if you use the character that corresponds with the mission color and don't if you use another character? That would make sense to me.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@spraynardtatum: Pretty sure missions that are startable by any char show up in their own color.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had no clue about this but I have been starting missions with characters and their corresponding colour so I guess I havent noticed this for that reason.

HoM3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone know if you get the cutscene if you use the character that corresponds with the mission color and don't if you use another character? That would make sense to me.

I've been only doing color matches and got a nice cutscene of Micheal getting ready to chill and putting in his i-pod at his pool. Then he opens his eyes and sees Franklin hanging over him. When Vinny started that mission with Franklin at the GB livestream it started the cutscene with Micheal opening his eyes and Franklin hanging over him.

Not sure you can skip important stuff, but when color matching you always get the cutscene. Dont think they have others for other character, you just miss it.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By GaspoweR

@probablytuna said:
    @pr1mus said:

Yep, I agree with this.

Yep, seeing it happen differently on two different streams (Danny O'dwyer and JP McDaniels streams) the other day was pretty nuts and I'm talking about the moment where Franklin goes back to Mike's house after crashing the car.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@pr1mus said:

Yep, I agree with this.

Third'ed

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I actually think it's quite cool.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@pr1mus said:

Yep, I agree with this.

Indeedly.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yeah I think it's really cool and pretty brave of Rockstar. Not many massive games like these that allow you to miss content like that

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

There are also missions later in the game where you can hear different sets of in-car dialogue depending on which character you choose because they have different passengers.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a larger gripe with missing dialogue during missions, like the one with Trevor arriving in Los Santos telling the "story" that was cut off by Wade saying "ooh we're close" and then Trevor never continuing. IT WAS JUST GETTING JUICY! I tried, driving away from the objecting, but nada.

Yeah, I'm going to replay the mission to listen, but just the fact that important story building narrative can be missed like that is a mistake on R*'s part.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HOT TIP YO

Always use the character whose name is marked for a mission that multiple protagonists can start (EX: if the map has an M, go with Michael)

If it's a mission that isnt marked as a characters name, give this a thought! Which character is most closely related to the mission giver (EX: if it's a bureau mission, go with Michael)

The only cutscene I ever missed was near the beginning, but I quickly realized that what I've illustrated above is how you should go about getting missions.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@naru_joe93: Great tip for everyone! Going to add this to my thread of "little things" or whatever I titled it.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krullban said:

For missions you can start with multiple characters you can miss a lot of cutscenes. For example the mission where Michael chases the tennis coach out of the house. If you start it with franklin you will miss the entire cutscene and just see the guy running away.

If I'm not mistaken, when you walk up to the house as Franklin, the guy is already hanging out of the window and the incidental dialog that you hear walking into the house sets up the fact that the cheating was going on. You hear it from a different perspective, but all the meat is still there.

I think.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By gaminghooligan

I'm just starting a second playthrough and noticed this. Pretty crazy, I feel like some of the cutscenes towards the ending could be way different.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If a marker can be started by multiple people it's best to use the person who's initial is on the marker. The other characters will show up later in the cutscene

moondogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it makes sense its fine. But when it doesn't its a little silly. Chasing the yacht mission started as Michael, just has Franklin standing in the room with you after the call from michaels son, makes no sense why Franklin is even there. Why not just play the whole scene, that would play out if Franklin started the mission. Have Michael return home to sit by the pool relaxing when Franklin just shows up. Then play out the call from jimmy, etc... There would be no reason not to do that... right?

Of course its possible I just skipped a cut scene accidentally. Is that possible?

Having said that, quite early in the game so that might be the only time its a bit logically silly.

Opus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29  Edited By Opus

@moondogg: I skipped a ~5 minute cutscene at the end of a mission because i was tapping X to sprint a little too long. It was upsetting, to say the least. So it's a possibility?

tropesage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moondogg: I think you skipped a cut scene because I remember in that mission Franklin saying he showed up to have the drink Micheal offered.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's a great excuse for double dipping and getting the PC version when it comes out. There's so much you can miss that another play through on PC (plus 60fps and better IQ) will be worth it. There so much damn story that's really well done that it'll be worth it to play again and see what you might have missed.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GreggD

@jams said:

I think it's a great excuse for double dipping and getting the PC version when it comes out. There's so much you can miss that another play through on PC (plus 60fps and better IQ) will be worth it. There so much damn story that's really well done that it'll be worth it to play again and see what you might have missed.

I'm planning on double dipping anyway, but all you have to do is replay the missions you want to get the extra scenes.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greggd said:

@jams said:

I'm planning on double dipping anyway, but all you have to do is replay the missions you want to get the extra scenes.

YOU'RE and extra scene

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jams said:

@greggd said:

@jams said:

YOU'RE and extra scene

No Caption Provided

moondogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tropesage: righto then. BACK TO THE REPLAY!

I thought it seemed weird for that to happen. Since there is really no reason for it to happen.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hurricaneivan29: If you just keep driving Wade brings it up later. Pretty sure they planned it out that way.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manhattan_project: Oh, he just kept telling me I was going the wrong way and I gave up. Oh well, I'll look it up and eventually replay the mission anyways.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.