Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

Obligatory 8gb install on Xbox 360

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

From Amazon:

Install Information

Grand Theft Auto V is the largest and most ambitious game Rockstar Games has yet created, and takes full advantage of every ounce of processing power available in the current generation of consoles. In order to provide the best possible experience for such a massive and detailed world, the game will have installation requirements on the Xbox 360.

Grand Theft Auto V will ship on two discs; Disc 1 will be used for a one-time mandatory install and Disc 2 will be used to play the game. After the install, players will be able to enjoy both Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online without any need to switch discs.

This initial install will require an Xbox 360 Hard Drive or an external 16GB USB flash drive (sold separately) with at least 8 GB of free space. If using a USB flash drive it must be at least USB 2.0 with a minimum 15mb/s read speed and formatted for Xbox 360 use. A new USB flash drive is recommended to ensure optimum performance.

I have never seen this before on the 360. I install all my games because that way it doesn't sound as like Black Hawk Down in my bedroom. Do you think there are any Ultra-Peasants who still don't have a hard drive on their 360? Imagine there will be quite a few for a game with this big a following, there must be thousands of people who only get a console for COD, GTA and FIFA and will be surprised by this when they try and play it.

Also flash drives on the 360? I thought the only memory you could buy was official MS ripoff stuff. I must have missed a memo.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can use 3rd party flash drives, up to 32gb

From KOTATSU

Well I never. Says it was 16gb before so I guess this wasn't just for GTA5. There will still be some people caught out by this I reckon.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Huzzah for bigjeffrey

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leebmx said:

@bigjeffrey said:

From KOTATSU

Well I never. Do you suppose they did that specifically for GTA5?

was done last year

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leebmx said:

@bigjeffrey said:

From KOTATSU

Well I never. Says it was 16gb before so I guess this wasn't just for GTA5. There will still be some people caught out by this I reckon.

I reckon people have a hard drive now a days, Halo 4 required install, i believe that sold alot.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leebmx said:

@bigjeffrey said:

From KOTATSU

I reckon people have a hard drive now a days, Halo 4 required install, i believe that sold alot.

Maybe, I noticed this cos someone was complaining about not having one on Amazon that's all. I just imagine there will be a lot of people firing up their Xbox's for the first time in years because of this.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leebmx said:

@bigjeffrey said:

@leebmx said:

@bigjeffrey said:

From KOTATSU

Maybe, I noticed this cos someone was complaining about not having one on Amazon that's all. I just imagine there will be a lot of people firing up their Xbox's for the first time in years because of this.

People get mad for everything, 16gb cost like $10 on Amazon.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I'm just happy you won't have to swap discs after the initial install.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By fattony12000

You've been able to use any USB flash drive that you like, for the past few years now.

DirkGently

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been an issue for years, Burnout Paradise online required a HD to play.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RazielCuts

One of the main reasons I chose PS3 over 360 was because of the multiple discs, that and Rockstar seem to be showing only the PS3 version to the press.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shows what I know eh? I'll keep me trap shut from now on...

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shows what I know eh? I'll keep me trap shut from now on...

deskp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razielcuts: that could be money reason, sony showed off some gta stuff on their recent panel aswell. deals going on, does not mean it is better on ps3...... obviosuly it could be better there, but that isnt nessecarily the reason they show of that version.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Ultra-peasants??....

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I have had a 60 gig 360 for 5 years and never needed anything else. All I do is delete games I don't own/play anymore and I always have enough room.

I'm really excited for this game. This is the first time I've been hyped for a current gen game in a very long time.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm really happy about this. Having to constantly switch disks would have completely ruined the experience.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

MS should have made this mandatory years ago. Having developers make games work off the discs for consoles with no HDDs has held back so much this gen.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Ravenlight

Welcome to PC gaming circa 2000. Do I really want to keep all these Limp Bizkit mp3s or install The Sims?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By ajamafalous

Welcome to PC gaming circa 2000. Do I really want to keep all these Limp Bizkit mp3s or install The Sims?

Yeah, lol. Diablo II had three install disks (plus another for LoD, obv). Pretty sure Titan Quest had five.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fourwude said:

Ultra-peasants??....

I'm trying to get some sort of hierarchy worked out because I think it will make me feel better about being a console peasant if I have someone to look down on. Although ultra-peasant sounds like it might be a souped-up version rather than the lowest of the low

HoM3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feels like this isnt clear for all but the ps3 also has the 8gb install, its just part of the engine and probably the reason GTA5 has a chance of running smooth on this gen systems. No disc swap is a nice extra but never understood when it grinds peoples gear.
    Dont think alot of people without hdd will get a surprise because noticed that even in the smallest toy stores got pamphlets warning people about this. Weird seeing technical stuff in a random toy store but props for being on top of it.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not an issue, i have a 120gig HD (or 80? i dont remember) but its never been an issue. Fully installed Max Payne 3 was like 17 gigs.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I've got more than enough room for it. If it means the game will run better, so be it.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to be an ultra-peasant. My "20" GB original 360 hard drive is making a sad face right now.

Not that I was going to get a console GTA 5 anyway.

Unless it goes to $20 or less and the pc version never comes out.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really don't wanna play this on console. Sucks they're holding back the PC version yet again. Cool you don't have to swap discs on 360 though, I guess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.