Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grim Fandango

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 28, 1998

A LucasArts adventure game that follows skeletal travel agent Manny Calavera's four-year journey across the Land of the Dead in a film-noir-inspired tale of love, betrayal and corruption.

Remaster: PS4 or PC?

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By conker

Hey gang,

So i have never played the original Grim Fandango but have heard nothing but great things about it. Will definitely be purchasing the remaster, but on which console? As a point and click adventure game, wouldnt PC probably play better?

Zefpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grim Fandango isn't a point and click. It originally had tank controls ala Resident Evil if I am not mistaken. I imagine they will update the controls for the remaster though. In fact, some people modded the original to make it point and click for fun.

I haven't played it either but I plan to get it on PS4 just because I like my console so much, and want to see about the trophies. I think it will come down to a matter of which one plays more smoothly though for a lot of people.

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grim Fandango isn't a point and click. It originally had tank controls ala Resident Evil if I am not mistaken. I imagine they will update the controls for the remaster though. In fact, some people modded the original to make it point and click for fun.

I haven't played it either but I plan to get it on PS4 just because I like my console so much, and want to see about the trophies. I think it will come down to a matter of which one plays more smoothly though for a lot of people.

its available for pre order on PSN right? I want that 'sweeet' theme

ratamero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I understood correctly, there will be multiple control schemes in the remaster (including the original tank controls). I think it will play well on a controller, I'm planning on getting the PS4/Vita cross-buy to play it for the 27th time

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Yeah it really doesn't matter for this game any way you cut it. I'd expect/hope that performance/graphics/controls/sound will be the same across the board. Wonder what max resolution is on the PC, but, again, it's not like it really matters for G Fandango.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Wonder what max resolution is on the PC, but, again, it's not like it really matters for G Fandango.

The backgrounds are still the same so I imagine it will actually look worse at higher resolutions.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I played it during PSX on both the PS4 and Vita and it worked great.

Yeah it really doesn't matter for this game any way you cut it. I'd expect/hope that performance/graphics/controls/sound will be the same across the board. Wonder what max resolution is on the PC, but, again, it's not like it really matters for G Fandango.

All the backgrounds have NOT been re-rendered (they are the originals) so my guess is they'll just resize them to fit your screen resolution.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#8  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I'd pick it up on all the platforms. But as others have stated, it's unlikely any of the platforms will be better than the others when it comes to controls and graphics. The remaster will still use the rendered backgrounds from the original 1999 release, only with updated real-time lighting for the characters, and the controls should work just as well with a controller as a keyboard (iirc, the original game didn't use mouse input at all, you only walked around with the arrow keys and pressed the spacebar to interact with stuff - a control scheme that wouldn't be any different on a controller).

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@corevi

@mosdl said:
    @geraltitude said:

Wonder what max resolution is on the PC, but, again, it's not like it really matters for G Fandango.

The backgrounds are still the same so I imagine it will actually look worse at higher resolutions.

lol, great! This will be a good game for that 720p TV I still have kicking around I think. I would like to see what those backgrounds look like blurred out all to hell though. Like playing in a dream.

@'s got messed up and now this post format is untouchable sorry
    conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0 said:

I'd pick it up on all the platforms. But as others have stated, it's unlikely any of the platforms will be better than the others when it comes to controls and graphics. The remaster will still use the rendered backgrounds from the original 1999 release, only with updated real-time lighting for the characters, and the controls should work just as well with a controller as a keyboard (iirc, the original game didn't use mouse input at all, you only walked around with the arrow keys and pressed the spacebar to interact with stuff - a control scheme that wouldn't be any different on a controller).

Just goes to show you how ignorant I am of the original! To be honest this is a huge relief, it means that its almost impossible to fuck up the controls on a controller

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

@corevi

@mosdl said:
    @geraltitude said:

lol, great! This will be a good game for that 720p TV I still have kicking around I think. I would like to see what those backgrounds look like blurred out all to hell though. Like playing in a dream.

They looked fine on a 1080p screen at the event, a bit blurry perhaps but still looked fine. The 3D models however are updated (anti aliasing, better textures, realtime shadows)

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@mosdl said:

@geraltitude said:

@corevi

@mosdl said:
    @geraltitude said:

They looked fine on a 1080p screen at the event, a bit blurry perhaps but still looked fine. The 3D models however are updated (anti aliasing, better textures, realtime shadows)

At 1080p sure, but at 1440 or higher it's gonna be a shit show.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By BonOrbitz

I'd say PS4 because the high Open GL requirement on PC is causing issues for a lot of people including myself.

wombat333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

same here. missed out on the original but will surely correct that mistake this time around.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conker: As others have said, it's not really point and click. It has got original (tank) and new controls. A bonus for the PS4 is if you ever get a Vita, it's cross buy so you'll get a copy for that as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.