Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grim Fandango

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 28, 1998

A LucasArts adventure game that follows skeletal travel agent Manny Calavera's four-year journey across the Land of the Dead in a film-noir-inspired tale of love, betrayal and corruption.

What happened to Underworlds 1 - 7?

tallnproud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tallnproud

This may be just a showing of my own ignorance, but I've always been confused by this one point of the Grim Fandango story.  Manny is in the 8th Underworld, and he and everyone he is with (more or less) is trying to get to the 9th Underworld. 

My first thought would be that prior to arriving at the 8th Underworld, people would have had to pass through the first seven.  But no!  Left and right, people are dying and showing up immediately in the 8th!  No one ever mentions the previous levels.

So do the 1st through 7th Underworlds exist?  If so, what are they for?  If not, why'd they skip straight to eight?

Speculation is welcome, but if someone actually knows the history behind this mythology, I'd love to hear how it works.

Excuberance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Excuberance

As far as i can read from Wikipedia, everyone who died (except for warriors, lightning-victims and women killed while giving birth) had to take the four-year journey to "Mictlan", the ninth underworld. It doesn't say specifically, but the way I understand it, the souls had to go through all the other underworlds first.

Two ideas:

1. The Land of the Dead in Grim Fandango is rather modernized, perhaps the highway that Manny takes to fetch the newly departed is built to bypass the first 7?
    2. Perhaps the journey through the land of the dead IS a journey through all the first 8 underworlds. El Marrow is the first, Rubacava the second, a.s.o. Is it official that the game takes place in the 8th underworld, or is that just something people has figured out?
    Or of course, maybe it doesn't make sense, but that wouldn't make for an especially good discussion now, does it?
    JamesM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JamesM
    Excuberance said:
    a.s.o.
    I don't think I've ever seen anyone abbreviate "and so on" before. Including the dots, you're only saving three key-presses.
    Excuberance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Excuberance

However, there are three identical periods, make it a lot faster to type. Also, the period is a key I use a lot,  so it is easily found. All-in-all, a great abbreviation :)

JamesM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JamesM

Be sure to spend that extra half-second of your life well.

Sorry, I'm coming across as a mean-spirited prick. I just found it amusingly bizarre. Abbreviate away, my good man!

Excuberance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Excuberance

No offense taken, and i sure will!

Now, where were we...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.