Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Account Blocked due to unacceptable behavior

• 132 results
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By warxsnake

Either the login process is giving me bogus errors or some nancy got offended by my Ho Lee Phuk nickname :/

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Is it strange that I imagined your banning to be related to this in some glorious fashion?

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Karkarov

Probably errors. So far the game alternates between telling me to turn off my firewall because it is stopping me from logging on and or crashing every time a cut scene occurs. The fact that I have no trouble accessing any other online site or game and GW2 has a firewall exception non withstanding of course.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By shirogane

Yeah, sounds like your name is what's getting you banned. They seem to be giving out quite a few 72 hours bans for names. Though your one is actually ok compared to some of the other extremely uncreative ones.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By MrMazz

Well hopefully Foo Foo Cuddlypoops dosen't get me banned it's a freaking reference to Avatar the Last Airbender!!

Avatar image for blastprocessing
    BlastProcessing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BlastProcessing

Sounds like me and this game won't get along :(

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By warxsnake

haha there goes my head start

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By kindgineer

That's a terrible name and you deserve your ban!

Kidding aside (maybe), you probably got hit with a 72 hour ban like a lot of folks.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By UssjTrunks

Kids are reporting names left and right. A ton of people got banned over at guru too. You can even get banned for swearing in the general chat. I've never seen a company police these things before. It definitely sucks out some of the fun from the experience.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Enigma777

U ha dot coming dud

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By warxsnake
    @UssjTrunks said:

Kids are reporting names left and right. A ton of people got banned over at guru too. You can even get banned for swearing in the general chat. I've never seen a company police these things before. It definitely sucks out some of the fun from the experience.

oh damn, why the hell do they have profanity filter options including "NONE" if they are just gonna ban people who swear? wow
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @warxsnake said:
    @UssjTrunks said:

oh damn, why the hell do they have profanity filter options including "NONE" if they are just gonna ban people who swear? wow
    If thats true then this might effect my purchase. If they are going to be super super tight about bans and all that... 
    UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By UssjTrunks

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@warxsnake said:
    @UssjTrunks said:

If thats true then this might effect my purchase. If they are going to be super super tight about bans and all that...

This dude got banned for swearing: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/52368-unacceptable-behavior-block/page__st__120#entry1821018

There was another thread somewhere on there too.

The problem is that people are reporting the swearing and silly names (these people are sad human beings), and Anet is banning with no warning, which is ridiculous. They should at least warn you, or in the case of a name, allow you to change it.

Here is their nazi naming policy:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-naming-policy/

Worst part is this: "This policy may not cover all inappropriate or disallowed names. ArenaNet reserves the right to reject any name it concludes, in its sole and absolute discretion, is indecent, obscene, offensive or otherwise violates our naming policy or the Guild Wars 2 User Agreement."

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @UssjTrunks said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@warxsnake said:
    @UssjTrunks said:

If thats true then this might effect my purchase. If they are going to be super super tight about bans and all that...

This dude got banned for swearing: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/52368-unacceptable-behavior-block/page__st__120#entry1821018

There was another thread somewhere on there too.

The problem is that people are reporting the swearing and silly names (these people are sad human beings), and Anet is banning with no warning, which is ridiculous. They should at least warn you, or in the case of a name, allow you to change it.

Here is their nazi naming policy:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-naming-policy/

Worst part is this: "This policy may not cover all inappropriate or disallowed names. ArenaNet reserves the right to reject any name it concludes, in its sole and absolute discretion, is indecent, obscene, offensive or otherwise violates our naming policy or the Guild Wars 2 User Agreement."

Have they made any statements or are they staying quiet. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

You guys have been out of MMO's for a while if you think name rule are lax. Can't get away with anything anymore.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Milkman

If I can't tell people to suck my cock in general chat, really what's the point in playing at all?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By Seppli

You should have read the whole 'what gets you banned list'. Better be on your best behaviour. All the time.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mikeeegeee

@Milkman said:

If I can't tell people to suck my cock in general chat, really what's the point in playing at all?

Finally someone says exactly what I'm thinking.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Jayzilla

@Enigma777 said:

U ha dot coming dud

wut?

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By NickL

@Jayzilla said:

@Enigma777 said:

U ha dot coming dud

wut?

Look at his post history for the last hour. He is either extremely drunk or having a stroke

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

Banning for swearing in-chat is definitely awful and I hope that policy isn't so tight, but I can see why your name - which couldn't be censored by the game in the same way that chat can - got a temporary ban.

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Xeirus

@mikeeegeee said:

@Milkman said:

Maybe to avoid it become like the barrens chat in WoW?

I don't agree with them banning someone without even a PM before hand, but I think it's fine and dandy they are policing things so tightly. They should def go about it in a better way, but at least they give enough of a damn to be doing something period.

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Rohok

My friends and I were running around Divinity's Reach on the RP server saying we like hairy assholes and like to poop out of our butts (I mean who doesn't?). I hope we don't get hit with a 72 hour ban.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By chrissedoff

Hmmmm I wonder if you deserve to get banned for finding cute little ways to break the rules.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By UssjTrunks

Some dude on guru got banned for the name "Diarrhea" lol. This is getting out of control.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jrinswand

@UssjTrunks said:

Does it? Or is it just about time that an MMO finally stepped up to the plate and addressed the inherent issues that occur within communities full of shitheads? That's not necessarily aimed at you, OP, but I think it's high time that devs required their users to actually be responsible.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By UssjTrunks

@Jrinswand said:

@UssjTrunks said:

Does it? Or is it just about time that an MMO finally stepped up to the plate and addressed the inherent issues that occur within communities full of shitheads? That's not necessarily aimed at you, OP, but I think it's high time that devs required their users to actually be responsible.

"Responsibility" is subjective though. I'm a funny guy so I like to give my character funny names. I don't like it when a community is too uptight. I like it when people can relax and joke around about inappropriate things. As long as the name isn't offensive, it should be fair game.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jrinswand

@UssjTrunks said:

"Responsibility" is subjective though. I'm a funny guy so I like to give my character funny names. I don't like it when a community is too uptight. I like it when people can relax and joke around about inappropriate things. As long as the name isn't offensive, it should be fair game.

You might be fine with things that you deem to be harmless but part of the magic of the world being a pretty big place is that people from different locations feel differently about what does or does not constitute offensiveness. Take the name "Ho Lee Phuk," for example. An average white American may look at that name and say "Hurr durr. It's like he's saying 'fuck.'" Somebody from Vietnam, on the other hand, may feel as if his/her culture is being attacked and not find it funny in the least. Or you could just be a guy like me who sees the name and gets the joke but still doesn't think it funny, somebody who thinks it's just unnecessary and immature.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#29  Edited By Dagbiker

@UssjTrunks said:

Some dude on guru got banned for the name "Diarrhea" lol. This is getting out of control.

I don't know if your serious or not.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By Humanity

When making a Charr character it is required to view a 2 hours online lecture on Charr culture and make sure to use appropriate surnames corresponding to your clan. A 50 question quizz is conducted in the end which enables you to actually unlock the ability to make said character.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Canteu

@Irvandus: I disagree.

I had a character named Tnuc in WoW for years.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@Canteu said:

@Irvandus: I disagree.

I had a character named Tnuc in WoW for years.

Yeah, but no one in the community would report that one. It's just part of my theory that all MMO communities have gone down hill. Then again I think all communities but GB have gone down hill.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Canteu

@Irvandus: I dunno man, I've been playing LOTRO recently and everyone there seems pretty cool.

But I see your point, and you're probably right.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#34  Edited By musubi
    @warxsnake I approve of your name.
    UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By UssjTrunks

@Dagbiker said:

@UssjTrunks said:

Unfortunately, I am (just read some of the responses in that thread to get an idea of how serious the community is about this): http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/54591-the-great-big-oh-dear-i-got-banned-thread/page__st__90#entry1823046

There are people who are actively taking on the role of "naming police" and reporting people. Some dudes have said they will "report all anime names" or "report all names that don't fit in with the lore" or "report all immature names". It just doesn't end. No one is safe.

Hide yo kids, hide yo wife, and hide yo husband, cause they're bannin' everybody out here!

Kaigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Kaigan

Banning people who swear in chat makes you wonder why they even have an optional swear filter in place, they could've just filtered them by default and then punished the people who bypass it.

Then again, it's kinda cool seeing them enforce something like this. Granted, less swearing doesn't make the majority of an MMO community any less shitty, but at least they're trying.

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Xeirus

@UssjTrunks said:

@Dagbiker said:

@UssjTrunks said:

Unfortunately, I am (just read some of the responses in that thread to get an idea of how serious the community is about this): http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/54591-the-great-big-oh-dear-i-got-banned-thread/page__st__90#entry1823046

There are people who are actively taking on the role of "naming police" and reporting people. Some dudes have said they will "report all anime names" or "report all names that don't fit in with the lore" or "report all immature names". It just doesn't end. No one is safe.

Hide yo kids, hide yo wife, and hide yo husband, cause they're bannin' everybody out here!

A report does not mean an auto ban.

To be fair, you have no idea if these people are telling the truth or what other circumstances they fail to mention. I'll wait until Anet makes a statement.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@warxsnake said:
    @UssjTrunks said:

While I dislike that kind of policing, I think they're aiming to build a friendly self-respecting community. That sounds totally awesome and, more importantly, unprecedented.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Arena Net have been known for their pretty strict naming policies, I'd drop the customer support a message and see if there is anything they can do.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40  Edited By Levio

Hah, sounds like someone got served some internet justice. Why don't you take the time to consider your life choices...

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Scrawnto

@Xeirus said:

@mikeeegeee said:

@Milkman said:

Maybe to avoid it become like the barrens chat in WoW?

I don't agree with them banning someone without even a PM before hand, but I think it's fine and dandy they are policing things so tightly. They should def go about it in a better way, but at least they give enough of a damn to be doing something period.

Haha, I remember Barrens chat. How does something like that become a thing across server lines? What about the Barrens in particular caused that to happen in almost every instance?

curious_george

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By curious_george

@UssjTrunks said:

@Jrinswand said:

@UssjTrunks said:

There is still plenty of room for funny names without them being borderline offensive/insensitive. And while I'm not offended by the OPs banned name, it's still seems pretty immature to me and I'd be happy to not see names like it in the game. So I guess I support a strict naming policy if it means funny names actually have to be witty and creative.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By UssjTrunks

@AhmadMetallic said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@warxsnake said:
    @UssjTrunks said:

While I dislike that kind of policing, I think they're aiming to build a friendly self-respecting community. That sounds totally awesome and, more importantly, unprecedented.

I guess it depends on what community you want though. I love the Counter-Strike community where every other chat message or player name is a sexual reference or some other type of "immature" joke. :( Sure there is always the racist/homphobic nonsense that goes on (I don't care if that gets reported), but that's not what I'm talking about. Sexual/immature humour makes me giggle and I like giggling. :)

Godak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Godak

@warxsnake said:

Either the login process is giving me bogus errors or some nancy got offended by my Ho Lee Phuk nickname :/

You aren't really surprised, are you? You made the conscious choice to tread the line of the Terms of Service. It wasn't even like your name contained a hidden gem. Anyone with a basic phoenetic understanding of the English language would understand what you were getting at.

Name your next character "Major E. Jackie Lation". Tell me how that works out.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By McGhee

Banned for swearing? This is the internet for fuck's sake.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By UssjTrunks

@Godak said:

@warxsnake said:

You aren't really surprised, are you? You made the conscious choice to tread the line of the Terms of Service. It wasn't even like your name contained a hidden gem. Anyone with a basic phoenetic understanding of the English language would understand what you were getting at.

Name your next character "Major E. Jackie Lation". Tell me how that works out.

The names "Scary Man" "Diarrhea" and "WarMach1ne" have also been banned, just to name a few. I fail to see how any of those break the TOS.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#47  Edited By Baillie

They break the rules for being dumb names.

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Maystack

@UssjTrunks: Scary Man? How in the world is Scary Man in any way offensive? This is getting ridiculous.

Lemonhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Lemonhead

@Maystack said:

@UssjTrunks: Scary Man? How in the world is Scary Man in any way offensive? This is getting ridiculous.

I'm not familiar with the Guild Wars naming policy, but maybe it's not just offensive names that are forbidden. I read the naming policy when I made my first character in WoW back when it launched, and it stated that names that referenced movies or other franchises were forbidden. "Metroid" and "Chewbacca" got banned.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By UssjTrunks

@Lemonhead said:

@Maystack said:

I'm not familiar with the Guild Wars naming policy, but maybe it's not just offensive names that are forbidden. I read the naming policy when I made my first character in WoW back when it launched, and it stated that names that referenced movies or other franchises were forbidden. "Metroid" and "Chewbacca" got banned.

It's the same in GW2, but Scary Man isn't copyrighted. I imagine it was construed as a rape reference by someone (which is absurd).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.