Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Quick question regarding traits

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Mister_V

Do the points you put into traits effect weapon proficiency? For instance as a worrier if I put more points into arms for instance, Will that make me better with a certain weapon?

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Giefcookie

Not really, no. There are a few traits you can pick up that will give a stable % (usually 5%) damage buff to a certain weapon but most of the time those arent worth spending the trait slot for. There are some exceptions, for example I think the warrior can raise their longbow range from 900 to 1200 with a trait, but that kind of significant buff is very rare.

What you should be looking at is what type of attacks and damage your preferred weapons do. If the abilities are heavy on conditions you might want to pick traits that support that.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By TheHT

As far as I know, just adding points doesn't specialize you in any specific weapons. You need to choose the major traits to do that.

Like these two major traits for example, which make greatswords and rifles better.

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Giefcookie

@TheHT: Linking a build calculator should be banned :( Every time someone does it I end up spending 30minutes making a build. AND I DON'T EVEN PLAY WARRIOR!

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Mister_V

Ah that's good to hear. I really like being able to swap weapons around, It's nice to have a weapon for every situation. (that's and it stops me getting bored)

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@Mister_V said:

Ah that's good to hear. I really like being able to swap weapons around, It's nice to have a weapon for every situation. (that's and it stops me getting bored)

100% yes, and this is why I love warrior.

As others have said, traits don't force you in any particular direction. Any class can use any of their weapons at any time - but some traits boost the effectiveness of your weaponsets.

• Strength boosts Greatswords, Axes and weapon off-hands
    • Arms does Greatswords, Rifles and One-Handed Swords
    • Defense boosts Shields, Hammers and Maces
    • Tactics the longbow and warhorn
    • Discipline everything with one more trait for axes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.