Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life 2: Lost Coast

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Oct 27, 2005

Lost Coast was initially created as a section in the Highway 17 chapter of Half-Life 2. After being cut from the game it was later released as a tech demo to showcase HDR lighting in the Source engine.

A ramble inspired by HDR.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I'm sure most of you well versed in the world of valve have heard of the project Black Mesa. For those not in the know, Black Mesa is essentially a complete overhaul of Half Life 1 utilizing the wonderfully current and shiny source engine that we all know and love.

Now this project has been going on for what seems like an eternity, same as Half Life Episode 3. It kind of makes me think that there is some crazy connection between the release of this mod and Episode 3. After watching this trailer again and again I still couldn't help but get excited to play this game every time.

So hey, I was thinking. Considering HL2: Ep. 3 is going to finish the whole Half Life 2 story arc (and let's not forget about the eventual Half Life 3), I would figure a free product such as this would definitely build some much needed interest in the franchise because of a few interesting things I noticed:

Everyone on steam pretty much owns a source engine game. Either TF2 or Portal when they gave it away for free, all the way back to Half Life 2, that is all you need to run Black Mesa as it's a mod of the source engine and rebuilding the assets from HL1 and giving it a much more modern look.

The other thing was that I don't think really anyone gives a shit about Half Life anymore except for those crazy people like me who spent this past afternoon playing HL2: Lost Coast checking out that sweet HDR and forcing crazy amounts of supersampling on it while still getting like 120fps.

So why not put out this game that looks pretty close to getting done (fingers crossed of course), and create more stir for Valve's own product which would of course have to be announced at the release of this?

I don't know. I was just thinking about the VGA's and all. I heard Valve was going to announce something and got all wishful and stuff. Looks like it's Left 4 Dead 3 or at least something with zombies in it.

Infected is to Zombie as Little Person is to Midget. And Jeeps.

Admit it though, those green things from HL1 would still freak you out right?
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I'm sure most of you well versed in the world of valve have heard of the project Black Mesa. For those not in the know, Black Mesa is essentially a complete overhaul of Half Life 1 utilizing the wonderfully current and shiny source engine that we all know and love.

Now this project has been going on for what seems like an eternity, same as Half Life Episode 3. It kind of makes me think that there is some crazy connection between the release of this mod and Episode 3. After watching this trailer again and again I still couldn't help but get excited to play this game every time.

So hey, I was thinking. Considering HL2: Ep. 3 is going to finish the whole Half Life 2 story arc (and let's not forget about the eventual Half Life 3), I would figure a free product such as this would definitely build some much needed interest in the franchise because of a few interesting things I noticed:

Everyone on steam pretty much owns a source engine game. Either TF2 or Portal when they gave it away for free, all the way back to Half Life 2, that is all you need to run Black Mesa as it's a mod of the source engine and rebuilding the assets from HL1 and giving it a much more modern look.

The other thing was that I don't think really anyone gives a shit about Half Life anymore except for those crazy people like me who spent this past afternoon playing HL2: Lost Coast checking out that sweet HDR and forcing crazy amounts of supersampling on it while still getting like 120fps.

So why not put out this game that looks pretty close to getting done (fingers crossed of course), and create more stir for Valve's own product which would of course have to be announced at the release of this?

I don't know. I was just thinking about the VGA's and all. I heard Valve was going to announce something and got all wishful and stuff. Looks like it's Left 4 Dead 3 or at least something with zombies in it.

Admit it though, those green things from HL1 would still freak you out right?
    RockAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RockAction

Looking forward to the black mesa release and hopefully some news on whats happening with half life 2 

but i think the valve announcement will more than likely be L4D on playstation 

with them releaseing portal 2 on ps3 and gabe newell actually stating it will be the best version it makes sense 

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @RockAction: Okay so L4D coming to PS3 makes a lot more sense than what I was rambling on about.

I will continue to hope though..
    CouncilSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By CouncilSpectre

Wow, I'd never heard about this.  Thanks for posting it.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Azteck

I love that the trailer says 2009. 

What happened, guys?!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.