Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo

Franchise »

The franchise that defined the Xbox, Halo contains some of the most popular games ever released. The Halo FPS titles are revered for their excellent gamepad control and high-quality online multiplayer. The franchise now contains novels, soda tie-ins, an RTS spin-off, toys, and more.

Some Negative Thoughts About Halo

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

Edited By nintendoeats

I have a love/hate relationship with Halo. Halo: CE is horrible, Halo 2 fixed all the problems that I had with CE,  Halo 3, ODST and Reach were just too much of the same to feel special. I will acknowledge that every Halo game is an improvement over the previous ones, but I think that the series has been getting steadily worse since Halo 2. The reason for this, I think is that Halo suffers from a sever identity crisis, and needs to shut it's damn face and focus on the killing.

This is on my mind because I played through Reach last night, and could not get over the compromises that fill that game, or perhaps how often they were unwilling to compromise. Bungee cannot decide if the story or the standard shooty gameplay are most important, and both suffer for it. I could cite several examples, but let's go straight for the ending. Yo, spoilers.

Quick recap: The ending of Halo Reach is you fighting alone (or in my case with an online buddy) against a never-ending horde. It is a "supposed-to-lose" fight that is designed to give the player the feeling that they are heroically fighting a battle that they will lose. When you take damage, cracks appear in your visor to indicate some kind of attrition. The problem is that you still have a big fancy regenerating shield and an infinite supply of bullets, so the player is destined to die from a burst of damage, not at the end of a slow siege. I love this idea for an ending, but Bungee simply would not compromise their gameplay to make it work. Even worse, they added a bunch of stuff AFTER this sequence (an animation of the the Noble 6 fighting some more and then dying, then somebody talking to the DEAD player), removing the feeling that you were living through your last moments.

I actually think that this was a great IDEA about how to end the game, but Bungie failed on execution by refusing to alter their gameplay for that sequence. There are other examples that I could explain in detail, but I think my point is made. Bungie really needs to either focus on the gameplay (the part of Halo that is really genuinely good) and stop clinging to this notion that they know how to tell a story through gameplay, or start designing their games to actually BE the telling of a story, instead of a series of battles with some kind of (actually ok in spots) plot that randomly interrupts the shooting.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By nintendoeats

I have a love/hate relationship with Halo. Halo: CE is horrible, Halo 2 fixed all the problems that I had with CE,  Halo 3, ODST and Reach were just too much of the same to feel special. I will acknowledge that every Halo game is an improvement over the previous ones, but I think that the series has been getting steadily worse since Halo 2. The reason for this, I think is that Halo suffers from a sever identity crisis, and needs to shut it's damn face and focus on the killing.

This is on my mind because I played through Reach last night, and could not get over the compromises that fill that game, or perhaps how often they were unwilling to compromise. Bungee cannot decide if the story or the standard shooty gameplay are most important, and both suffer for it. I could cite several examples, but let's go straight for the ending. Yo, spoilers.

Quick recap: The ending of Halo Reach is you fighting alone (or in my case with an online buddy) against a never-ending horde. It is a "supposed-to-lose" fight that is designed to give the player the feeling that they are heroically fighting a battle that they will lose. When you take damage, cracks appear in your visor to indicate some kind of attrition. The problem is that you still have a big fancy regenerating shield and an infinite supply of bullets, so the player is destined to die from a burst of damage, not at the end of a slow siege. I love this idea for an ending, but Bungee simply would not compromise their gameplay to make it work. Even worse, they added a bunch of stuff AFTER this sequence (an animation of the the Noble 6 fighting some more and then dying, then somebody talking to the DEAD player), removing the feeling that you were living through your last moments.

I actually think that this was a great IDEA about how to end the game, but Bungie failed on execution by refusing to alter their gameplay for that sequence. There are other examples that I could explain in detail, but I think my point is made. Bungie really needs to either focus on the gameplay (the part of Halo that is really genuinely good) and stop clinging to this notion that they know how to tell a story through gameplay, or start designing their games to actually BE the telling of a story, instead of a series of battles with some kind of (actually ok in spots) plot that randomly interrupts the shooting.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By laserbolts
    I agree reach was a pretty big disappointment for me because it just had a bunch of super lame characters that I couldn't give a shit about. The multiplayer was fun for a couple weeks though.
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By nintendoeats
    @laserbolts: I wouldn't mind so much, except that Bungee seemed convinced that we DID care about them.

The multiplayer is pretty awesome though.
    Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Aetheldod

I completely disagree with you , I thought Halo Reach was and is the best Halo (screw Master Chief :P) and Bungie did a good job at it .... but ow what the heck to each its own I guess

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By nintendoeats
    @Aetheldod: From a gameplay standpoint it is the best Halo. It's just that it needs to get over itself more than the other ones.
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kyreo
    @nintendoeats said:
    @Aetheldod: From a gameplay standpoint it is the best Halo. It's just that it needs to get over itself more than the other ones.
    Yeah this sounds almost identical to my opinion.  
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Enigma777

Halo 2 is the best Halo? You so crazy!

iotanon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By iotanon

I loved Halo: Reach, and I do enjoy the stories, but the big issue I think is the characters that they've recently been trying to include in ODST and Reach. The trilogy had a few named characters and for the most part, you cared about them and what was happening. But in Reach, and especially ODST, you pretty much know what happens. That didn't ruin it for me when it came to Reach, but the big downer was the characters. They'd introduce groups of characters in one game and then kill off a few before they've gotten through their first appearance in the game. Then Bungie would say "AWW! THAT SUCKS! THAT CHARACTER THAT YOU TOTALLY CARED ABOUT (right?) JUST DIED! DOESN'T THAT JUST MAKE YOU MAD?!?"

and our response would be "meh." If you're going to include some characters that can stick in the player's mind, they must have a good personality, and something beyond the default player look and feel. Master Chief was sort of able to break those rules because he had a more serious Duke Nukem attitude and after Halo: CE, he was feared by his enemies and you'd experience that in the gameplay. You feel like a god damn warrior sent by the gods. These default spartans that get sent in with you who have just a little more personality than the average red shirt marine doesn't cut it. Kat, Buck, and Jorge are not going to ever stick in my mind. Ever. Master Chief, though...

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nintendoeats
    @Enigma777: Halo 2 fixed all the crap from CE, but the story hadn't started to seriously seep in and start messing things up. Actually, one caveat to that.

There is one part in Halo 2 where you play as the arbiter and face a big level full of flood. I wound up stealthing through it because the Flood are the worst enemy in any game ever. It wasn't fun, but it was better than facing the flood.

My friend told me last night that in the fiction the covenant aren't able to face the flood, and I did pretty much what I was supposed to do.

A: Why did the game not tell me this?
    B: Why would they add something so horribly not fun to the game for the service of story that they didn't give us?

So actually this non-sense goes back to Halo 2 as well.
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By nintendoeats
    @Zero_Dude: I agree 100% with everything except for liking the actual stories, but that's just a personal preference thing.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Enigma777
    @nintendoeats The Flood is the worst part of Halo which is why Reach is the best Halo game - because it doesn't have any in it.
    Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Green_Incarnate

You loose me when you say Halo: CE is horrible.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By nintendoeats
    @Green_Incarnate: That is a discussion for another time.
    Avatar image for delicious_brains
    Delicious_Brains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Delicious_Brains

I hate everything about Halo 2.

iotanon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By iotanon
    @nintendoeats: Yeah, that's true. I personally just enjoy a good "It's established who's good and who's bad and there are no real grey areas go good side!" kinda stories. 

@Enigma777: I like the idea of the flood. It certainly scared the hell out of me when I was 11 or 12 and first saw them. But after a few times running into them, it's annoying. I can tolerate one flood level and maybe a moment when you're running from the flood to an extraction point. And of course they're always great to drive through during the last driving sequence.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ProfessorEss

To each their own but I personally thought Reach was excellent in both gameplay and storytelling, and I liked the balance between the two.

Subjective of course, but I think Halo is one of the few FPSs out their that doesn't suffer from a serious identity crisis. I also have a tough time accepting the argument that "the game needs to get over itself".

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
    TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By TheCreamFilling

I agree that Halo 2 is the best Halo.
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FreakAche
    @nintendoeats: So if your issues are just with how the story telling relates to the gameplay, how do you feel about Halo as a multiplayer experience? Do you think that each new Halo game has enough multiplayer content alone to justify the $60 price tag? Because I know for me, that's why I keep coming back to Halo.
    Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

Do you think it could've worked if they made the planet of Reach the actual star? So you got sad when Reach was destroyed?

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By nintendoeats
    @ProfessorEss: That the game needs to get over itself is an opinion, not an argument. The perceived identity crisis is my argument.

@FreakAche
    I personally don't play a ton of multiplayer (My gold expired today and I'm not renewing it), but I think the Halo multiplayer is excellent. I have enjoyed playing it with friends.

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1
    I don't that Bungee would have any idea of how to do that. I mean, they tried showing the people and infrastructure of Reach, but they just don't know how to add emotional weight to these things.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was more of a rhetorical question, but if they did try it, it would've been so hamfisted. Such as an elemental discovery to cure cancer or some BS like that.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By nintendoeats
    @c0l0nelp0c0rn1: Oh, I genuinely think it's a great idea. It would have put the player in a position where they actually cared about the overall events of the game, and could relate to the emotions of NPCs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nintendoeats: I think it's a great idea, too. However, I still think it boils down to giving us characters (or even archetypes) that I genuinely care about. Subtlety is not Bungie's strong point, unfortunately.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.