Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hans Zimmer

Person » credited in 3 games

A multi award-winning composer and executive score producer best known for his work on films from the 80s to the present day. He is best known in video games as the composer of the main themes of Modern Warfare 2.

My new favorite composer

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By natetodamax

The music in Modern Warfare 2 is amazing. Today I played the mission where you must regain control of 'Whiskey Hotel', and the music when you are in front of it with bullets raining down on you is phenomenal. It's such a haunting and spectacular theme that gives you the feeling that the world is ending. I will totally replay that mission just to hear it. Oh, and the Spetsnaz theme is intense and awesome too.

Anyone else love this guy's work?

Here's a link to the song I'm talking about (not embedding to avoid spoilers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtAUp_imq58&feature=player_embedded#

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By beargirl1

yup. god that was such a great scene, and the music really made it. 
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By jakob187

He's no Howard Shore.

dogbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By dogbox

Best thing he's ever done! Seriously though, MW2's score was awesome, and I really enjoyed it.
    Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Origina1Penguin

He's been doing movies for quite some time, if I'm not mistaken.  I always enjoy his work.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By natetodamax
    @AjayRaz: That's a great one too
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#7  Edited By AgentJ

You only like him now? I'm sure his MW score was great, but he's been doing fantastic music for a long, long time now. 

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By natetodamax
    @AgentJ said:
    " You only like him now? I'm sure his MW score was great, but he's been doing fantastic music for a long, long time now.  "
    I don't watch many movies, so I probably haven't heard much of his work before.
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By MysteriousBob

@natetodamax said:

" @AgentJ said:
    " You only like him now? I'm sure his MW score was great, but he's been doing fantastic music for a long, long time now.  "
    I don't watch many movies, so I probably haven't heard much of his work before. "

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Hans Zimmer did the music for Modern Warfare 2? Wow, I had no idea. But yes, Zimmer is an amazing composer and he's done music for so many famous movies, including Pearl Harbour, Black Hawk Down and the last 2 Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By KowalskiManDown

The music he did for MW2 is pretty awesome, but this is still his finest hour. The whole soundtrack for this film was epic from start to finish.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#12  Edited By AgentJ
    @natetodamax said:

" @AgentJ said:

I don't watch many movies, so I probably haven't heard much of his work before. "
    wikipedia: 
    Hans Florian Zimmer (born September 12, 1957) is a German composer and producer, best known for his film scores. He has composed music for over 100 films, including Hollywood blockbusters such as the Pirates of the Caribbean series, GladiatorThe Lion KingThe Da Vinci Code and The Dark Knight.  

Plus Last Samurai 
    mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By mikeeegeee

Like all of you, I love the work of Hans Zimmer. @creamypies: I agree that his work in Gladiator was spectacular.

My favorite thing he's done is a xylophone song. It was one of the first things I taught myself to play on xylophone/marimba.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By VWGTI
    @natetodamax: 

I recommend you see The Rock if you haven't already. His music in that movie is incredible. What's crazy is that some of the scenes in Modern Warfare 2 are almost ripped out of The Rock and modified ever so slightly.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By natetodamax
    @AgentJ said:
    " @natetodamax said:

" @AgentJ said:

wikipedia: 
    Hans Florian Zimmer (born September 12, 1957) is a German composer and producer, best known for his film scores. He has composed music for over 100 films, including Hollywood blockbusters such as the Pirates of the Caribbean series, GladiatorThe Lion KingThe Da Vinci Code and The Dark Knight.   Plus Last Samurai  "
    I always thought Pirates had a great soundtrack.
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By breadfan

Does anyone know if the Modern Warfare 2 soundtrack is going to be released/released on CD? 

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By vidiot

I'm really happy to see so many fans of Hans Zimmer, not just because of his recent work with Modern Warfare. 

It should be noted that in regards to The Dark Knight, he shared composing roles with James Newton Howard who's presence you can most certainly hear. It truly is a phenomenal soundtrack. His reinterpretation of the themes made by Klaus Badelt for the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels were equally impressive. Of course there is also Gladiator, and even The Da Vinci code (Goofy movie, AMAZING soundtrack.)

Harry Gregson Williams (Metal Gear Solid series/The Rock/Kingdom of Heaven/Shrek) did the soundtrack for the first Modern Warfare (He did a PHENOMENAL JOB). When I heard he was not returning, I felt a bit uneasy. The announcement of Zimmer alleviated my fears quite a bit, although I thought it was kinda a given seeing how seems to be everywhere these days. 

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By jimbo_n
    @vidiot said:
    "Harry Gregson Williams (Metal Gear Solid series/The Rock/Kingdom of Heaven/Shrek) did the soundtrack for the first Modern Warfare" 
    Im pretty sure that Hans Zimmer did the soundtrack to The Rock and I´ve always considered that one the best. The first thing I thought when hearing the music in MW2 was "wow, this sounds like The Rock". 
    On a sidenote his official Discography also says so (thank god I havent been living under false assumptions since 1996). Maybe they were 2 composers and Hans did the majority of the themes? 
    In any case The Marines theme from the Rock is by far his greatest track to date.
    spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By spacetrucking
    @Jimbo_N said:
    " @vidiot said:
    "Harry Gregson Williams (Metal Gear Solid series/The Rock/Kingdom of Heaven/Shrek) did the soundtrack for the first Modern Warfare" 
    Im pretty sure that Hans Zimmer did the soundtrack to The Rock and I´ve always considered that one the best. The first thing I thought when hearing the music in MW2 was "wow, this sounds like The Rock". On a sidenote his official Discography also says so (thank god I havent been living under false assumptions since 1996). Maybe they were 2 composers and Hans did the majority of the themes? In any case The Marines theme from the Rock is by far his greatest track to date. "
    You're both right. The Rock's soundtrack was composed by Hans Zimmer with Harry Gregson Williams and Nick Glennie Smith. Its hard to differentiate between Zimmer and Gregson-Williams because they've worked together for so many years and collaborated on so many projects. Zimmer tends to do more movies while Gregson-Williams discography has more games in it.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By valrog

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.