Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Homefront

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 15, 2011

By the year 2027, the North Koreans have managed to unify Korea, annex Japan, and also invade the western half of the United States. As an American rebel fighter, it is the player's duty to help push the NPA out of the United States and end the citizens' suffering.

Ps3 Version Looks Baaaaaaaad

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#1  Edited By sammo21

So I just played through Act 2 of the game (which seems to be a short 6 Act game), and man does this game look horrible.  I don't know if its just the PS3 version or what, but I am severely unimpressed.  If the gameplay were better I wouldn't care, but with it being a generic shooter with no real flavor to it, I feel as if I am looking at Fallout 3 on standard def.  Currently I am playing in the Ps3 version's highest resolution (720p), so I have no idea what's wrong.  Maybe it's just the Ps3 version.  Can anyone confirm?

I'm also noticing weird things with the audio as well as animation bugs, waypointing issues with AI companions, screen tearing in parts, and that little issue where you see parts of the geometry flash green or pink.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SomeJerk

They spent more on marketing the game than making it. I'm sure of it.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Gizmo

The problem is; 

It's not a very good game.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RsistncE

I hear all versions look devastatingly ugly.

Shard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Shard

Perhaps a red ballon got stuck on the disc.
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By I_smell

No way does a game look horrible just cos o some technical nonsense like "screen-tearing" or "standard def". That's not the kinda thing that defines what games look like.

EDIT-- Actually I just watched a video and this game is made out of gray crates and some pretty horrible 2D sprite explosions, so I guess your right :(

@sammo21

said:

"and that little issue where you see parts of the geometry flash green or pink. "

What the hell is this!?
    sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sammo21
    @I_smell:   Well if it were the PC version I would say an issue with my card's drivers but its annoying.  I am glad I opted to rent this opposed to spending $60.  I chose to get Yakuza 4 and Okamiden...thank God.  Still though, this is really sad for how hard they marketed this game.  If I were a Ps3 owner and bought this I would be really, really, really pissed. 

Not to mention invisible walls, horrible fire effects, my AI companions have gotten stuck on geometry several times...I am currently going through on the hard difficulty.  I think I actually might skip beating this on the hardest difficulty for trophies and just take it back and be done with it. 
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By I_smell
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By xyzygy

I'm looking at the Lens of Truth comparison and it looks like the 360 version has more texture pop in (almost hideously so) but when the textures do actually come in they look miles better. Also the PS3 version looks like it has really, really ugly ass lighting. 

Honestly this game just looks like shit on both platforms.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sammo21
    @xyzygy: Yeah, I couldn't imagine it being much better on the 360. 
    FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By FCKSNAP

The OnLive version looks OK. 

BUT I'M HAVING TONS OF CONNECTIVITY ISSUES ON ONLIVE RIGHT NOW. They might be overloaded. I should probably wait until I get my OnLive console to play it. 

Oh and Red and Green are some of the default alpha channels for textures. Must be some bad texture processing.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Vinny_Says

The premise looks somewhat interesting but the rest of it is unimpressive....

Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Punk1984
    @blacklabeldomm:  
    "Hey baby! You got one hot looking premise there! Why don't you bring that premise over here! "
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @Punk1984 said:
    " @blacklabeldomm:  "Hey baby! You got one hot looking premise there! Why don't you bring that premise over here! " "
    you're filthy!
    TonyBlue87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By TonyBlue87
    @I_smell:  There's something wrong with that video you linked.  Al the color is missing until halfway through and then everything turns orange.  I wouldn't normally complain, but I know that companies don't make/chip games like that anymore, not with all the resources and technical advancements available in today's industry.
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By benjaebe

Every version looks bad, it isn't just the PS3 one.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sammo21
    @blacklabeldomm:   If you like the premise, just watch Red Dawn.
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Try turning the gamma way down.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Branthog

It looked surprisingly good (and Half-Life 2-esque) on the PC with everything maxed out and running at 2560x1600. I also have the 360 version, which I'm going to open up this evening and check out. I suspect that I'll like the experience better on the console (there were a lot of mechanics on the PC version that I felt seemed quite old-school and frustrating . . . interface things like "press E to go up the latter" and the non-stop prompting for EVERY fucking action EVER), but I also suspect it won't look as good.

That said, I think this was very much about the experience and the atmosphere, so I wasn't expecting to have a jaw-dropping experience (although I did - at the rebel farm, the first big neighborhood, the electronics store, and the Golden Gate Bridge). I just wish it wasn't so reliant on the FPS experience. It's a fantastic premise that really doesn't have more story in it than "we have to get from point A to B and shoot the fuck out of everything in between". No dialogue trees. No stealth. No choices. Nothing. Just straight up shooting at shit. Blah.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like how the PC version looks.  It's not the most technically impressive game ever, but I really just like the look of it.

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lead_farmer

Does the fire look like garbage to anyone else?  That is really bothering me.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @xyzygy said:
    " I'm looking at the Lens of Truth comparison and it looks like the 360 version has more texture pop in (almost hideously so) but when the textures do actually come in they look miles better. Also the PS3 version looks like it has really, really ugly ass lighting.  Honestly this game just looks like shit on both platforms. "
    The screenshot on the first page of the guy's face up close made the PS3 version look embarrassingly horrible in comparison to the 360. 
    Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By awesomeusername
    @Shard said:
    " Perhaps a red ballon got stuck on the disc. "
    Balloon, but funny anyways.  

I saw 3 walkthrough videos of it on Youtube and that games looks disgusting. The animations are plain horrible and the shooting looks shitty. The dialogue is also shitty and they repeat everything over and over. I wouldn't even bother renting this game, I might just watch the rest of the walkthrough.
    sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sammo21
    @lead_farmer: Yeah, the fire does look like garbage.   

Kind of makes me laugh how some of the people on Joystiq (commentors) are raving about it and saying "its the worthy successor to Frontline" which tells you all you need to know.  I wasn't impressed with Frontline.  They also claim it looks just as good as any Call of Duty released in the last 4 years which makes me believe that most of the people on the internet who talk about games don't actually play them (speaking of commentors).  I helped my friend beat Gears of War last night and I enjoyed that more....trying hard to decide if I finish the game or take it back to Blockbuster.
    CraigAA1028

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By CraigAA1028

The game just looks average. And average is boring.

random_guy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By random_guy23

It looks freakin terrible on the PS3. Sometimes textures dont even pop in, and some are just plain awful. They look good from a distance, but up close... shoddy. COD4 has better graphics, its just the lighting that is good, but everything else is terrible. Also, literally every multi platform game has a terrible frame rate on ps3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.