Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Homefront

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 15, 2011

By the year 2027, the North Koreans have managed to unify Korea, annex Japan, and also invade the western half of the United States. As an American rebel fighter, it is the player's duty to help push the NPA out of the United States and end the citizens' suffering.

Red Dawn Will Never Happen

PatPandaHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Edited By PatPandaHat

Or: How I Kind Of Think John Milius Is A Twit.

Now, don't get me wrong, I believe that much of his work once removed from the oeuvre of hyper-nationalized war cinema is great. His influence upon such cultural touchstones as the USS Indianapolis monologue in Jaws is, well, important. However, I often feel as if the shadow of Red Dawn looms over what he does, particularly in the case of the coming-up Homefront. In a similar way to how the involvement of Orson Scott Card's wretched Empire work made Shadow Complex a very complicated purchase to decide upon or not, John Milius is complicating a decision on whether or not to observe and interact with Homefront.

It's a right-wing nightmare/wet dream, the opportunity for real God-fearing Americans, the salt of the earth, those lovely gentleman who wear "don't tread on me" t-shirts and wave placards about trees of liberty being watered with blood at political rallies to show those blasted government pinheads that they'll rescue America from the oncoming foreign hordes. How useful it must be to have picked the one foreign enemy America has which is as impotent and sad as North Korea as the main foil to the virtualized conflict.

Obviously, I know that it's a first-person shooter. The hyper-nationalized, hyper-masculine nature of the genre is one I'm well-accustomed to but still, something seems peculiarly off about Homefront's foray into the field. Like Red Dawn, or rather the fans of Red Dawn, it feels to be marketing towards that hypernationalism in earnest, rather than as the implied anti-war narratives of many of the successful war films or even war video games typically follow. To the point, Red Dawn was written in the 80s in support of the Afghani "freedom fighters" who were at the time in conflict with the invading Soviet war machine. Many of those same "freedom fighters" would go on to become the "Muslim insurgents" and Al-Qaeda operatives the American war machine is fighting even now.

I wonder if the irony of the Red Dawn narrative in 2011 will be properly explored in Homefront. Will this become the link of sympathy between the Afghanistan occupation's "insurgents" and how a Western public would react to our own lands being occupied? Or will it just be double-thought out of, as Red Dawn's drama was once it became inconvenient to consider? Just put away as another in a series of modern warfare first-person shooters which grasped at more than it could accomplish, except for that peculiar core of fans who seem kind of... sketchy, like they think the events depicted will really happen any day now.

Plus, call me paranoid, but I kind of feel like this is the game where all the 13-year-olds shouting racial slurs in the other multiplayer FPSs will converge like locusts. So there's that to concern myself with.

PatPandaHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By PatPandaHat

Or: How I Kind Of Think John Milius Is A Twit.

Now, don't get me wrong, I believe that much of his work once removed from the oeuvre of hyper-nationalized war cinema is great. His influence upon such cultural touchstones as the USS Indianapolis monologue in Jaws is, well, important. However, I often feel as if the shadow of Red Dawn looms over what he does, particularly in the case of the coming-up Homefront. In a similar way to how the involvement of Orson Scott Card's wretched Empire work made Shadow Complex a very complicated purchase to decide upon or not, John Milius is complicating a decision on whether or not to observe and interact with Homefront.

It's a right-wing nightmare/wet dream, the opportunity for real God-fearing Americans, the salt of the earth, those lovely gentleman who wear "don't tread on me" t-shirts and wave placards about trees of liberty being watered with blood at political rallies to show those blasted government pinheads that they'll rescue America from the oncoming foreign hordes. How useful it must be to have picked the one foreign enemy America has which is as impotent and sad as North Korea as the main foil to the virtualized conflict.

Obviously, I know that it's a first-person shooter. The hyper-nationalized, hyper-masculine nature of the genre is one I'm well-accustomed to but still, something seems peculiarly off about Homefront's foray into the field. Like Red Dawn, or rather the fans of Red Dawn, it feels to be marketing towards that hypernationalism in earnest, rather than as the implied anti-war narratives of many of the successful war films or even war video games typically follow. To the point, Red Dawn was written in the 80s in support of the Afghani "freedom fighters" who were at the time in conflict with the invading Soviet war machine. Many of those same "freedom fighters" would go on to become the "Muslim insurgents" and Al-Qaeda operatives the American war machine is fighting even now.

I wonder if the irony of the Red Dawn narrative in 2011 will be properly explored in Homefront. Will this become the link of sympathy between the Afghanistan occupation's "insurgents" and how a Western public would react to our own lands being occupied? Or will it just be double-thought out of, as Red Dawn's drama was once it became inconvenient to consider? Just put away as another in a series of modern warfare first-person shooters which grasped at more than it could accomplish, except for that peculiar core of fans who seem kind of... sketchy, like they think the events depicted will really happen any day now.

Plus, call me paranoid, but I kind of feel like this is the game where all the 13-year-olds shouting racial slurs in the other multiplayer FPSs will converge like locusts. So there's that to concern myself with.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By N7

That's deep, bro. I personally feel like we're all bodies in the same river. Some of us will experience different things, you know, even though that we're like, still in the same river. Some of us will wash up on shore, others will keep on flowing. It's like, how is that possible? We're all in the same water going the same way.

Deep man. Deep.

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

Sometimes I'm glad being stupid enough to not understand shit like this.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jadeskye

Wut? 

Dude i like videogames.

Rahkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rahkas

Thanks for writing this, and I have to say I feel somewhat similarly about the game. Now, I hadn't really been following this game much (simply been tired of all the FPSs which have been coming out lately, and this one didn't stand out) but as soon as I saw it was written by the author who penned Red Dawn and was going to be pretty similar, I'm making sure to stay far away from it. I just don't know which will be worse, the story in this, or that in the remake of Red Dawn which is in the works. Anyways, definitely enjoyed the read, very glad to see someone else who was kinda put off by that fact.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Skald

Just how serious was Red Dawn supposed to be taken in the first place? 

Also, Orson Scott Card is an excellent writer.

Avatar image for aperturesilence
    ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By ApertureSilence

I love a lot of John Milius' work, but I could never stand Red Dawn. I don't really have a problem with its politics, but I do have a huge problem with that fact that the scenario it presents is ridiculous and could not, feasibly, happen. I disliked Modern Warfare 2 for the same reason - the plot was ludicrous. 

I'm not saying the U.S. couldn't get into a major war, couldn't get invaded. But the kind of sudden, massive land invasion depicted in these works is totally impossible.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Red12b

Well written, It would be cool if they could focus a bit of energy to how being occupied is a bit of an irony, but I doubt they will.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DukesT3
    @Red12b said:
    " Well written, It would be cool if they could focus a bit of energy to how being occupied is a bit of an irony, but I doubt they will. "
    Yeah thats pretty deep especially for an FPS. I do have hopes for Homefront only because I'm very fascinated with the idea of the U.S being occupied and how civilians would react to that. Other than that... I am getting tired of shooting dudes in the face... 
    Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By awesomeusername

Am I the only person who liked the movie Red Dawn? 

@N7 said:

"   Deep man. Deep. "
    Sounds dirty. Me like.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @awesomeusername said:
    " Am I the only person who liked the movie Red Dawn?  "
    No. I fucking love it. 'WOLVERINES!'
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Hailinel
    @extremeradical said:
    " Just how serious was Red Dawn supposed to be taken in the first place?  Also, Orson Scott Card is an excellent writer. "
    It was taken more seriously during the Cold War than it is now, I can tell you that much.
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By chrissedoff

i agree. there is no other single phenomenon that causes more problems in the world than the powerful's desire to be seen as victims. games like homefront make me feel way too conflicted to be able to enjoy them, no matter how good they might be otherwise.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Must be pretty shitty to not be able to enjoy things on its own merits. I feel for you guys. Same for the people who honestly boycotted Shadow Complex because of who helped write it. Who made it or how many virgins they sacrificed to their pagan gods to get it done shouldn't matter. What should matter is whether the end result was good or not.

GUTBOMB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GUTBOMB

Red Dawn will never happen.

I am sure the Roman people never thought at the height of  their power that the great empire would eventually fall.
     Yes, the concept of the game as fanciful, it is fiction.
    Blood has always watered the trees of liberty (despite your sarcasm). I am glad people such as yourself were not around during the revolutionary war. Freedom must constantly be fought for, which we have seen down through history. That having been said, the complexity of human conflict cannot be accurately summed up in a thread on a video game forum.

Reading this post brings back horrible memories of some of the college courses I was forced to take.

PatPandaHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PatPandaHat
    @GUTBOMB said:
    " Red Dawn will never happen.  I am sure the Roman people never thought at the height of  their power that the great empire would eventually fall. Yes, the concept of the game as fanciful, it is fiction.
    Mhm. Here's the distinction. The Roman Empire was a different creature from the United States as it is now. The Romans lived in constant contact with other nations. Indeed, that's kind of what their empire was built upon. They knew they were going to be invaded because it happened a lot. 

America however, is geographically isolated. Not to say that's bad, just that we basically cornered the market on North America properties, to the point the the only practical "invaders" we have are well, Canada and Mexico. Putting aside the xenophobic terror of a Mexican Reconquista, let's just say that to combat that terrifying future of a Canadian oppressor, we built the largest possible military with the largest possible funding, so as to avoid a repeat of 1812. Getting Russia, China or Korea to invade us, to occupy us, would require them to basically use magic instead of logistics.

Which is of course why we use those guys. It's never going to happen, so it's a safe fantasy for a film or game. It's the war geek's equivalent to a sexy plumber showing up out of the blue to "fix your pipes". A cute fantasy to get the motor going, but kind of sad to base your life around.
    stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By stonyman65
    @PatPandaHat said:

" Or: How I Kind Of Think John Milius Is A Twit.

I wonder if the irony of the Red Dawn narrative in 2011 will be properly explored in Homefront. Will this become the link of sympathy between the Afghanistan occupation's "insurgents" and how a Western public would react to our own lands being occupied? Or will it just be double-thought out of, as Red Dawn's drama was once it became inconvenient to consider? Just put away as another in a series of modern warfare first-person shooters which grasped at more than it could accomplish, except for that peculiar core of fans who seem kind of... sketchy, like they think the events depicted will really happen any day now.  Plus, call me paranoid, but I kind of feel like this is the game where all the 13-year-olds shouting racial slurs in the other multiplayer FPSs will converge like locusts. So there's that to concern myself with. "

Dude come on. It's Red Dawn.  A campy 80's action movie about shooting some commies.  Thats all. You're thinking too much. 

Edit:   Also, shouldn't this be on the Screened forums?
    PatPandaHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PatPandaHat
    @extremeradical said:
    " Just how serious was Red Dawn supposed to be taken in the first place?"
    That's kind of a... tricky question. In a lot of ways, Red Dawn as a film feels somewhat like a satire, almost as if the sports film trope of "ragtag misfit team fighting the powerful, overbearing champions" was translated to a war movie about insurgent warfare. But as is the case with a lot of satire, some people just wind up taking the film straight-as-read (or, I guess, viewed) and then things start to get weird.
    pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By pwnasaurus
    @PatPandaHat: I agree, but again it is a video game and I'm glad to welcome another intelligent giant bomber, welcome aboard. 
    PatPandaHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PatPandaHat
    @Stonyman65:  I dunno. Maybe I frequent too many political blogs, but it just feels like films like Red Dawn and games like Homefront contribute to our society in really weird ways. It's always possible I'm overreacting, that I'll try out some demo to the game and be like, "oh, this is just silly," but I'd rather panic now and get it out of my system.

Plus, hell, it's not like I'm calling for protests or boycotts or anything over the game. I'm just saying that in my case, the things radiating from Homefornt kind of wig me out.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MikkaQ

I think video games are much too early to be politically analyzed. The story telling isn't there. Even if you hated the Empire books, barely any of it is properly in Shadow Complex. Maybe the villains' motives give hints to the political content of the books, but once again, it's a video game. The story telling isn't there, it's just too simple. It's all brushed upon quickly somewhere between shooting that guy and blowing up that barrel. I think we'll see the exact same thing with Homefront. Same as with Freedom Fighters. Great game, but I didn't get any right wing vibes from being a plumber who picked up an AK and went to town, I just saw it as another shooter. 

I just don't think the storytelling is there, so to judge games by materials they might be based on or inspired by is a bit silly. Because it'll be completely different. Books have time to linger on politics and philosophy, games... just no. 

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Yanngc33

Dude, the communists have invaded your brains!!!!!!!!! 

This is what they want you to think. I've worked as a maid at the CIA and the North Koreans have infiltrated us deeper than you can ever think. These "video games" and "movies" are actually mass produced by the CIA to get us ready to fight back.  

The file I've stumbled across is shocking and the commis are coming so in true american fashion: if you ain't with us, you against hunt 

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

To misquote Vinny, "I'm a brit, and Red Dawn is fucking fantastic!"

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Marcsman

Of course it cannot happen 
    Patrick Swayze ( RIP brother) is gone 
    And Charlie Sheen is off his rocker. He cannot even fight porn stars anymore.
    mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By mfpantst
    @jadeskye said:
    " Wut?  Dude i like videogames. "

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.