Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hydlide

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Dec 13, 1984

Released in 1984, Hydlide was the first open-world action RPG. It was the first on-foot, fully-scaled, open-world game, and introduced innovations such as a health-regeneration mechanic. It influenced the action RPG genre as well as The Legend of Zelda franchise.

Angry Video Game Nerd: Hydlide

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JJOR64

This time around the Nerd reviews Hydlide, a rip off of Zelda.  Wait a second.......  This game actually pre-dated Zelda on another system.  Did Zelda rip this game off?  Nah.  Anyways, while not his best video, it's still a enjoyable one.  Hope you guys like the video.

After watching the video, what do you think about his talk about Zelda near the end?  Why do we like the puzzles in Zelda so much?  It's really interesting to think about.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By 71Ranchero
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By AndrewB

Awesome. I shall watch as I go to sleep right now.

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Darkstar614

the part where hes talking about the menu options is amazing. "Speed?! do I even want to fucking know what that does?!  ...Game?! does that let me play another game?!

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @Darkstar614 said:
    " the part where hes talking about the menu options is amazing. "Speed?! do I even want to fucking know what that does?!  ...Game?! does that let me play another game?! "
    I would imagine that speed, along with save and load, are left over from the original version. 
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JJOR64
    @Atramentous said:
    " @Darkstar614 said:
    " the part where hes talking about the menu options is amazing. "Speed?! do I even want to fucking know what that does?!  ...Game?! does that let me play another game?! "
    I would imagine that speed, along with save and load, are left over from the original version.  "
    That's what I was thinking.
    JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By JazGalaxy

The thrill of Zelda's puzzles came from the fact that absolutely anything could be absolutely anywhere. Videogames don't contain that same sense of magic that games like Zelda and Kings Quest had. 

In modern games someone specifically tells you in what way you can interact with the game word and exactly where you can do it. In Zelda, the game world felt alive and awash in mystery.  Literally every square tile of every screen could hold a secret if you only knew how to unlock it.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JJOR64
    @Atramentous said:
    " I was hoping he would dig into the Saturn version. "
    I didn't even know there was a Saturn version.  Haha.
    WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

I hate Hydlide, it's the one game that as a kid I never knew what I was doing, I thought it didn't even have an attack button until I watched that. I just ran around trying to avoid slimes and rocks until I fell into a pit and died.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By skrutop

It seems like the Nerd has calmed down a bit over the last few years, but that's ok.  I still like his videos.  Nothing beats him taking a dump on Bugs Bunny, though.

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
    weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By weegieanawrench

Man that game is brutal. Killed by darkness? Dragons that turn princesses into three fairies when scorched by flame? What kind of a twisted game is this??!

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By MikkaQ
    @skrutop said:
    " It seems like the Nerd has calmed down a bit over the last few years, but that's ok.  I still like his videos.  Nothing beats him taking a dump on Bugs Bunny, though. "
    Yeah he's totally docile these days, but probably because he's moved from anger to acceptance. It's his job, someone's gotta do it. 

Uruuuugh my ears hurt from that shitty music. though. Yikes.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By ZenaxPure

I remember many moons ago it was my birthday and my dad gives me my gift, which was non other than Hylide. Much like AVGN says the artwork on the case looks epic, I thought I was going to be running around slaying dragons and shit... And thanks to AVGN we all know how that story ends. Great episode.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JJOR64
    @skrutop said:
    " It seems like the Nerd has calmed down a bit over the last few years, but that's ok.  I still like his videos.  Nothing beats him taking a dump on Bugs Bunny, though. "
    Agreed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.