Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hydrophobia

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 29, 2010

Kate Wilson is a systems engineer who must defend a city-sized cruise liner from a terrorist attack in this XBLA/PSN title. The water physics play an integral part in combating the terrorists and moving around the cruise liner which poses a problem as Kate is aquaphobic.

Drama surrounding this game?

• 53 results
    takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By takua108

Jeff just posted on Twitter "After reading up on all the really creepy Hydrophobia drama, I sort of want to buy a copy and see what the deal is, maybe do some video." 

Any ideas as to what this might be? I've only recently heard of this game, and it seems interesting, so I'd like to know more about it :D

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

People gave the game a bad review and the devs are QQing like bitches.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Diamond
    @KaosAngel said:
    People gave the game a bad review and the devs are QQing like bitches.
    I want to see!
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Rhaknar

curious about this aswell as i havent heard any drama. The game is getting mediocre reviews in general, was it one in particular or what? any links to this story?
    nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By nohthink
    @takua108: This actually has nothing to do with your question but when I heard the name of the game, Hydrophobia, I did not expect to see a cover based shooter. So when I saw footage of the game, I immediately lost my interest 
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By buzz_clik
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By manhattan_project
    George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By George_Hukas
    SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SpudBug

I don't always agree with edge but thank god for their hard nosed stance on things.

If every press outlet agreed on reviews what would be the point?

Developers should know by now that the market is always going to side with the press unless you have an absolutely sterling and long standing relationship with the market.

Unfortunately hydrophobia's dev's do not and this kind of temper tantrum PR nonsense is not going to win them any friends.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By jakob187

So the game is bad?  Damn.  I was really hoping for a good one with it.  Game Feast starts off poorly!!!  Hopefully, Comic Jumper and Super Meat Boy will ease that pain. 

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SpudBug

I think meat boy will be the only one worth getting. Could be wrong though.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Diamond
    @jakob187:  The feast refers to Super Meat Boy, surely.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

The way the creative director has acted in retaliation to the bad review scores has been amazingly unprofessional. I can understand that someone would be upset if they spent all that time working on a game only for it to be somewhat of a critical flop but getting aggressive and telling everyone who didn't like the game that they didn't play it or were playing it wrong makes her look bad, makes her company look bad and starts to undo all the hard work that the development team has put into the game.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DrPockets000

I really enjoyed the game.  it's one of those games where the enjoyment is derived from how creative you can be when you play.   

I remember when IGN wrote a column on Just Cause 2, saying "well, you could attach that car to the ground with your grapple gun to stop it, but you could just as easily simply blow it up".  If you take the easiest, simplest path through any game you're missing the point.   

That said, I disagree with the outrage from the developer.  

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By vidiot

Making games is a stressful, time-consuming business. I honestly feel the anger from the developers, having committed a large amount of time and effort into a product, and then have reviews question the game's design. That can be infuriating for a creative director. I played enough of the trial to deduct that the game wasn't bad, but his comparison that the design of the game is the equivalent of, and I quote: 

“There’s a famous quote from a very early American president from the turn of the previous Century, who said, ‘Electricity? It’ll never catch on.’ If you’re producing something new, people have an adjustment phase.”

Your game isn't as revolutionary as electricity. 
    For the love of god, take a deep breath and dial-down your ego.   

Mechanically I didn't see anything new. New tech doesn't constitute new design, or perhaps you simply didn't push your design far enough. Don't get me wrong: Hydrophobia is probably, from a technical standpoint, is probably one of the best looking XBLA games. I didn't see anything quite ground-breaking within the demo though. Probably a good action game if your between games, plus it's at a okay price. The end.

Oh, before I forget: Why are you sighting out Edge? It's freaking Edge. I'm all for incredibly dense criticism in game reviews...but Edge at this point, has for better-or-worse, built up the reputation of being some of the most over-the-top critical reviewers in the industry.

Dial down the frustration, take note of the criticism and learn from it. Don't combat it. You might not agree with it, but perhaps there's some nuggets of valid observations somewhere in these negative reviews.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pinworm45

rofl at their ego. 

"you're playing our game wrong!" 

Maybe your programmers and level designers should have been better then, because you're not going to be able to phone every player of your game and tell them how to play it 'right'. 

"Our game is as revolutionary as electricity" 

No one will remember it by next week. Enjoy your debt.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By jonnyboy

When you have Microsoft telling you your work is amazing for months and months before it's release in order to sew it up as an exclusive, you might fall into the trap of believing that that opinion will be shared by everybody, even people who don't want anything from you.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I wanna try the trial soon, see if its anything good =)

Media loves this kind of drama tho <3

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By Raymayne

Shame that game sucked total ass. Would like to see a QL nonetheless just to see what Jeff and them think of it.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21  Edited By Yanngc33

aw man dont know if i want to play the game anymore I'm a big fan of Jim Sterling the developpers suck and their game kind of deserves to bomb now
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#22  Edited By BeachThunder

Reminds me of the recent interview with Ken Levine, where he was talking about developers desperately trying to convince people that their games were revolutionary and had amazing features. If it's a good game, then its good qualities should speak for themselves; the developer shouldn't have to try to explain how good they think their own game is...

paradox121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By paradox121

Is it wrong that I feel slightly bad for this woman?
    Sure, whats she did was idiotic, but she did put a heck of a lot of time behind something she no doubt loved to death and so to get 3/10, even if your game is middling on average, must be a harsh blow.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BeachThunder
    @paradox121 said:

" Is it wrong that I feel slightly bad for this woman? Sure, whats she did was idiotic, but she did put a heck of a lot of time behind something she no doubt loved to death and so to get 3/10, even if your game is middling on average, must be a harsh blow. "

Well, to be fair, it currently has 73% on GameRankings.

Anyway, I just watched some footage from the game and I've come to the conclusion that it's by no coincidence that this started development 3 years ago - around about the same time Bioshock was released.

Also, their website says 20010, so perhaps they've actually spent 18,003 years working on this game. In that case, it's even more disappointing to see a game being worked on for 18 millennia and still get a middling score :(
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hitchenson
    @Yanngc33 said:

" aw man dont know if i want to play the game anymore I'm a big fan of Jim Sterling the developpers suck and their game kind of deserves to bomb now "

Oh my.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ryanwho

Its like the collective consciousness of Giantbomb embodied in a woman, of all things.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Better than being embodied in an uptight prig, I guess.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ryanwho

Yeah writing vitriol to reviewers for not "getting" your game isn't uptight at all. I'd love for you to be the guy defending her for 10 pages. You've got nothing else to do, right? Essay time.

TheCheese33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheCheese33
    @Raymayne said:
    " Shame that game sucked total ass. Would like to see a QL nonetheless just to see what Jeff and them think of it. "
    I'd rather they ignore the game entirely. It doesn't deserve any sort of publicity, good or bad.
    Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Potter9156

Only played the trial, but from the 15 minutes I spent with the game, it's clear this game terrible. The water was kind of fun to play with though. Nothing on the level of what PhysX is doing on PC.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

The water does look awesome, though.
    Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Raymayne
    @paradox121 said:

" Is it wrong that I feel slightly bad for this woman? Sure, whats she did was idiotic, but she did put a heck of a lot of time behind something she no doubt loved to death and so to get 3/10, even if your game is middling on average, must be a harsh blow. "

No, feel bad for the dudes who made Quantum Theory. 

Also, Hydrophobia sucks....and this woman is being quite remarkably unprofessional, bad move lady.
    Xakura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Xakura
    @Hitchenson:
    I happen to agree with our grammatically challenged friend here, in that mr. Sterling is a brilliant provocateur, with way more depth than people give him credit for.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @paradox121 said:
    Lots of games get bad reviews. But the makers do not call up and harass the people who gave the reviews. The women is clearly unprofessional. The game will be forgotten in a week. No squeal will be made and maybe she will get fired. 
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Azteck
    @BeachThunder said:
    Also, their website says 20010, so perhaps they've actually spent 18,003 years working on this game. In that case, it's even more disappointing to see a game being worked on for 18 millennia and still get a middling score :( "
    I guess they had issues with staying with the technology. You know, having to start out piling rocks and stuff and then coding a game. It's kind of a big leap. Then again, they had some time to do it..
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Animasta
    @Xakura said:
    " @Hitchenson: I happen to agree with our grammatically challenged friend here, in that mr. Sterling is a brilliant provocateur, with way more depth than people give him credit for. "
    you mean the guy who gave deadly premonition a 10 just so that he could be controversial?
    Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By GunslingerPanda

According to Chester, she demanded Jim's phone number, saying that if he was playing the game wrong she needed to correct it.

:D
    JusticeCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By JusticeCat

I wonder if this still counts for "all publicity is good publicity"

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By onarum

I understand the developers rage, you spend all that time on a game just to have some prick whose sole "job" is to play games bashing it, seriously bitching about the water physics? I would like to ask that guy to find me a game with better ones so he can show me hes source of comparison, imo the water looks great as NO GAME has anything like it.

Also anyone who gives Deadly premonition a 10 should never be taken seriously, ever.

having said that I still don't think the devs had the right reactions, it just makes them look even worse and the reviewer pricks look like victims.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Animasta
    @onarum said:
    " I understand the developers rage, you spend all that time on a game just to have some prick whose sole "job" is to play games bashing it, seriously bitching about the water physics? I would like to ask that guy to find me a game with better ones so he can show me hes source of comparison, imo the water looks great as NO GAME has anything like it.  Also anyone who gives Deadly premonition a 10 should never be taken seriously, ever.  having said that I still don't think the devs had the right reactions, it just makes them look even worse and the reviewer pricks look like victims. "
    but dude hasn't even REVIEWED it yet; edge is the one who gave it a 3, the guy works at destructoid
    Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By GunslingerPanda

k, just watched the trailer.

Bioshock fanfic + 3D platforming + third person shooting = Revolutionary, duh.

+ bad russian accents

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By onarum
    @Laketown said:
    " @onarum said:
    " I understand the developers rage, you spend all that time on a game just to have some prick whose sole "job" is to play games bashing it, seriously bitching about the water physics? I would like to ask that guy to find me a game with better ones so he can show me hes source of comparison, imo the water looks great as NO GAME has anything like it.  Also anyone who gives Deadly premonition a 10 should never be taken seriously, ever.  having said that I still don't think the devs had the right reactions, it just makes them look even worse and the reviewer pricks look like victims. "
    but dude hasn't even REVIEWED it yet; edge is the one who gave it a 3, the guy works at destructoid "
    I'm talking about reviewers in general, is really easy to pick on little details and bugs when you have no idea of the immense amount of work that's put in them, so I understand why the devs got so upset, also EDGE is full of retards, I usually not even acknowledge their existence, 3/10 is way too harsh, seriously the game is not that bad.
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BeachThunder
    @onarum said:
    "seriously bitching about the water physics? I would like to ask that guy to find me a game with better ones so he can show me hes source of comparison, imo the water looks great as NO GAME has anything like it."

Cryostasis (on max settings):
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By onarum

@BeachThunder

sorry I can't see any huge masses of water forming waves and stuff on that TECH DEMO.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#45  Edited By cornbredx

The idea of the game alone is absurd. Why would someone with Hydrophobia even be on a cruise ship to begin with.... you know what, nevermind. I'm sure its explained, I would've played it cus I like these kind of games, but this developers bully tactics on reviewers is not cool. I now intend to skip this.
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @jakob187 said:
    " So the game is bad?  Damn.  I was really hoping for a good one with it.  Game Feast starts off poorly!!!  Hopefully, Comic Jumper and Super Meat Boy will ease that pain.  "
    I can definitely say Comic Jumper is fun.
    EOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By EOT

Has anyone told the devs that Hydrophobia doesn't mean what they think it means yet?

As Hydrophobia is either;

a) A chemical 'aversion' or 'rejection' of water at a molecular level.
    b) Used to describe an animal in the latter stages of Rabies.

The word they were looking for was Aquaphobia i'm sure.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#48  Edited By Symphony
    @EOT said:

" Has anyone told the devs that Hydrophobia doesn't mean what they think it means yet?  As Hydrophobia is either;  a) A chemical 'aversion' or 'rejection' of water at a molecular level.b) Used to describe an animal in the latter stages of Rabies.  The word they were looking for was Aquaphobia i'm sure. "

I know you wanted to sound witty and all, having looked this up on Wikipedia, but unless both Webster's and Oxford dictionaries decided to take crazy pills when they came to this entry, Hydrophobia can also mean a fear of water.
    timemuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By timemuffin
    @Symphony said:
    " @EOT said:

" Has anyone told the devs that Hydrophobia doesn't mean what they think it means yet?  As Hydrophobia is either;  a) A chemical 'aversion' or 'rejection' of water at a molecular level.b) Used to describe an animal in the latter stages of Rabies.  The word they were looking for was Aquaphobia i'm sure. "

I know you wanted to sound witty and all, having looked this up on Wikipedia, but unless both Webster's and Oxford dictionaries decided to take crazy pills when they came to this entry, Hydrophobia can also mean a fear of water. "
    I know you wanted to sound witty an all but Aquaphobia =/= Hydrophobia. Hydrophobia's fear of water is a result/symptom of rabies in animals and human. Aquaphobia is an anxiety disorder. Unless the game's populace is overrun with rabies, Aquaphobia is the go-to word.  

But meh, semantics :/
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @TimeMuffin:   
    Hydrophobia or hydrophobe may refer to:
    • Rabies, especially a set of symptoms of the later stages of an infection, in which the victim has difficulty swallowing, shows panic when presented with liquids to drink, and cannot quench his or her thirst.
    • Phobia of water (this is mainly colloquial, phobia of water is usually called aquaphobia, see below, to differentiate it from rabies.)
    • Aquaphobia, a morbid fear of water, or of swimming.
    • Hydrophobe, a term used in chemistry to describe chemical "aversions" of a molecule or part of a molecule
    • Hydrophobia (video game)
    • Hydrophobia, a Hungarian disk magazine (1996–1997)

from Wikipedia 

Semantics, a game everyone can play!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.