Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hyper Light Drifter

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 31, 2016

A 2D action-RPG inspired by A Link to the Past and Diablo developed by Heart Machine.

Dungeons - Ordered or not?

rokuthirteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I began the game and got to a point where a skull (presumably a boss) appears on the eastern part of my map. I proceed to the dungeon and start going through.

It's pretty tough. I'm at a part where I believe the game wants me to platform across these flame vents, but I'm not sure if I need some upgrade to do this safely or if it's on me as a player to do something differently that makes it safe.

Which brings me to my questions. Are the dungeons in a certain order? Or is the path up to the player?

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By nickhead

I believe you can do the west/north/east at any time, with the south being the last. There were a few times where I felt I needed a certain ability to progress, but the mainline paths to the bosses don't really require anything like that. Just keep an eye out if you get stuck, paths are hidden really well.

rokuthirteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickhead said:

I believe you can do the west/north/east at any time, with the south being the last. There were a few times where I felt I needed a certain ability to progress, but the mainline paths to the bosses don't really require anything like that. Just keep an eye out if you get stuck, paths are hidden really well.

Thanks! Yeah, I ended up abandoning my progress in the East and just wandered around. Now I'm in the West dungeon area playing around there.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@rokuthirteen: I don't want to spoil it so I'll just say there is a way to brute force it and a way to do it without getting hurt.

sbarre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm currently in the East and banging my head against some really tough enemy rooms and that stupid flame vent puzzle too. I've been debating just going back to town and exploring another direction so I'm glad to hear other people are doing the same.

I do like the game but I hope they patch in some balance and control tweaks over time.

sbarre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lydian_sel said:

I started with the Eastern zone. There are a few points that piqued my game design sense and lead me to believe this area was the intended 'easier' start to the game:

Wow, well no offence but I hope you're wrong. ;-)

I went east first and I'm having a rough go at it.. I'm still enjoying the game, and clearing a room is pretty satisfying, but mostly because it's taking me 10-15+ tries for some of them.. I keep thinking "maybe I'm not supposed to be here yet" or that I missed some upgrade that I should be using. The controls show "RB" as being for a special attack, and I don't have anything like that yet.

Lydian_Sel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Lydian_Sel

@sbarre:Enemy mobs in the east can be pretty brutal, especially in situations where you have very little space and lots of projectiles flying around. If you're beating your head against sections and feel like you're ill-equipped for the challenge, then you probably are, the game is intentionally vague about that sort of thing. There are facets of the eastern zone, like the bullet-hell gecko enemies and the flame vent puzzles, that are intended to be faced with certain upgrades and you'll find that once you have them the challenge is dialed down.

My advice would be to spend some time exploring for gear bits, there are loads of them in the east that are very accessible without upgrades usually stashed in crawl spaces, invisible platforms, or on ledges that look just narrow enough to fit your character sprite. Early in the game the two main upgrades you should focus on are the chain dash and the bullet-deflecting slash. Alternatively, there's nothing stopping you from going straight for the boss and coming back later to explore the parts you skipped, or just checking out another zone entirely to see if that's more your speed.

I found the eastern zone a little easier than the north and west but that's entirely subjective. There could be subtle balancing changes that take place beneath the hood depending on items/upgrades available and progression through the game... or it could all be in my head. But if you're not having fun with the game then change something up and see if it makes a difference. Happy drifting!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@lydian_sel: Man, I dunno about this "east is a good starter zone" business. The birds in the north are a complete cakewalk in all their forms compared to the asshole giant plants that leap at you in a bunch of fights in the east.

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like the enemies are easiest in either the west or north, the boss is easiest by FAR in the east. Mind you my hardest boss was the first (West) because I was still coming to grip with the mechanics and had no charged slash yet which makes every fight orders of magnitude easier (especially if they have pauses big enough to do a full combo into a charged slash on the 3rd swing).

rokuthirteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sbarre said:

I'm currently in the East and banging my head against some really tough enemy rooms and that stupid flame vent puzzle too. I've been debating just going back to town and exploring another direction so I'm glad to hear other people are doing the same.

I do like the game but I hope they patch in some balance and control tweaks over time.

Without spoiling anything, the flame vent puzzle is overall helpful but not a pre-requisite for that dungeon, I've come to discover. Don't lose too much time there.

rokuthirteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@merxworx01: Totally know what you mean now. :) Thanks!

solidwolf52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By solidwolf52

I started with the North and have found it pretty manageable up until the boss who has been kicking my ass. Think i may go to another area until i earn enough points for the upgraded dash.

rokuthirteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started with the Eastern zone. There are a few points that piqued my game design sense and lead me to believe this area was the intended 'easier' start to the game:

• The dog in town always barks to draw the player's attention and then quickly flees through the eastern exit, as if leading the player in that direction. Since following a canine was already established as a trope I thought it to be significant.
    • The summertime colour palette of the east is very tranquil and inviting, something you see quite often in the opening areas of old school games, the other zones in HLD have a more extreme and imposing feel.
    • The east is really big and slightly more non-linear in its pathways, providing players with a lot of chances to explore and observe obvious things that they won't be able to accomplish until upgrades are unlocked.
    • While it has a lot of tough enemy rooms, the boss of the east is probably the easiest in the game.

This is purely speculation and I don't think starting with another zone would hamper the gameplay experience in any way, there are just a bunch of smaller details about the eastern zone that lead me to believe it's a good introduction and vertical slice of the overall HLD experience.

I've since finished the Eastern zone, and I agree with you.

While the enemies can be tough, they aren't as punishing as some other zones. The visuals are fairly friendly (colors and structures, etc.). It gets you used to reading the map. There are a plentiful amount of health packs. And, like you said, the final boss is fairly straight forward.

rokuthirteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lydian_sel: Man, I dunno about this "east is a good starter zone" business. The birds in the north are a complete cakewalk in all their forms compared to the asshole giant plants that leap at you in a bunch of fights in the east.

I haven't fought the birds in the north, but the big, diving plants are annoying in the east, for sure.

pkmnfrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started with the North, and I have no regrets. The boss took a bunch of tries, and I did leave to go get the upgraded dash in the middle, but I don't think I actually used it (I hadn't got the timing down yet). I think he just has a hump in the middle that you need to get past, and once you do, his patterns get easier, rather than harder.

I did East next, and I feel like there was a definite difficulty bump.

sbarre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lydian_sel said:

@sbarre:Enemy mobs in the east can be pretty brutal, especially in situations where you have very little space and lots of projectiles flying around. If you're beating your head against sections and feel like you're ill-equipped for the challenge, then you probably are, the game is intentionally vague about that sort of thing. There are facets of the eastern zone, like the bullet-hell gecko enemies and the flame vent puzzles, that are intended to be faced with certain upgrades and you'll find that once you have them the challenge is dialed down.

My advice would be to spend some time exploring for gear bits, there are loads of them in the east that are very accessible without upgrades usually stashed in crawl spaces, invisible platforms, or on ledges that look just narrow enough to fit your character sprite. Early in the game the two main upgrades you should focus on are the chain dash and the bullet-deflecting slash. Alternatively, there's nothing stopping you from going straight for the boss and coming back later to explore the parts you skipped, or just checking out another zone entirely to see if that's more your speed.

I found the eastern zone a little easier than the north and west but that's entirely subjective. There could be subtle balancing changes that take place beneath the hood depending on items/upgrades available and progression through the game... or it could all be in my head. But if you're not having fun with the game then change something up and see if it makes a difference. Happy drifting!

Cool yeah I'm still definitely having fun with the game, even though it's quite difficult, which is a good sign for me because I can drop off quickly when a game is too hard, I'm old(er) and my twitch reflex isn't what it used to be. ;-)

I'll keep an eye out for those secrets, I'll admit I haven't really been looking for that stuff much, so perhaps that will help me get a few upgrades.

Someone else mentioned that the big leaping plant mobs in the east were difficult, and that's encouraging because I feel like I've got the timing for those guys down, and I can easily clear 2-3 of them at once now. But maybe that's just because I've died dozens of times to those bastards...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.