Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hyrule Warriors

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Aug 14, 2014

Omega Force, Team Ninja and Nintendo team up for this spin-off of the Legend of Zelda series, featuring the large-scale hack-and-slash gameplay made popular by the Dynasty Warriors series.

About Linkle (Female Link concept art thread)

• 108 results
    EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

That semi-fleshed out fan-concept of a flipped version of where Zelda is some common girl who finds The Master Sword and saves Prince Link is an intriguing idea as well. The reason why people constantly look at this stuff is because it seems so viable.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#52  Edited By EuanDewar

@joshwent said:

@hailinel said:

There are a lot of colorful female characters in the Zelda series. That doesn't mean that Link can't be one of them at least once, though.

Hmm. The idea never really occured to me. Probably because I haven't (to my constant shame) played that many Zelda games. But considering that the whole framework is that the many "Links" are sort of an individual embodiment of this more abstract destined hero, it would be really cool to play around with that concept as different characters. Or at least, stray a bit more from the doppelgangers we've had so far.

Yeah, I think this is a really cool idea, I hope Nintendo see the potential in it. I'd love it if the next Link was like a Mom or something.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By wrighteous86

And they didn't even do that right, because as I said, a female Link wouldn't have anime schoolgirl thighs going on. It's out of character.

Dem thighs.

streetninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#54  Edited By streetninja

@hailinel: @corruptedevil:

Ok, but that doesn't address the fact that this just looks like Zelda in Link's clothing. If that is what they wanted, cool. I just think they should make it a costume for Zelda at that point.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Doesn't look too much different from male link but I can dig it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Instead of going HAAIII! in a high voice, Link goes HAAII! in a higher voice!

Also, where's the masculine, broad-shouldered Prince Zelda? He could look like Debonair from Ogre Battle.

No Caption Provided
    @extomar said:

That semi-fleshed out fan-concept of a flipped version of where Zelda is some common girl who finds The Master Sword and saves Prince Link is an intriguing idea as well. The reason why people constantly look at this stuff is because it seems so viable.

I think you have to keep the Link and Zelda names to their roles; if Zelda is too feminine sounding, make it Zeldin and Linka or something. One wears green, uses a sword and is the hero, the other wears purple, uses magic and magic bows and is the MacGuffin.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By cloudymusic

@saturdaynightspecials said:

And they didn't even do that right, because as I said, a female Link wouldn't have anime schoolgirl thighs going on. It's out of character.

Dem thighs.

Young Link has exposed thighs; in the games where an "adult link" is used, he always (almost always?) wears leggings.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By GiantLizardKing

Hope she saves Prince Zeldo

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@cloudymusic said:
    @wrighteous86 said:

Dem thighs.

Young Link has exposed thighs; in the games where an "adult link" is used, he always (almost always?) wears leggings.

Hey. Thanks for looking out for this stuff. You should definitely see if you can get in touch with Nintendo so they can put this potential fantasy FemLink design to rights, lest they screw up the image of their own creation. Might wanna add that they should bring Wind Waker in line with OoT. Actually, OoT Link was real different from the manual artwork of LttP, so fix that first. Then again, even LttP Link looked nothing like the original one portrayed in the TLoZ manual. Oh, and don't forget to tell them to change his hair colour back to it's original.

Should also probably remove the boobs and give her a penis.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gunslingerpanda: You don't understand; we want women protagonists, but only if they're dressed in a way that covers their shame.

GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brodehouse: Oh, right. My mistake. I was playing too much Bayonetta to think things through.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@joshwent said:

@hailinel said:

There are a lot of colorful female characters in the Zelda series. That doesn't mean that Link can't be one of them at least once, though.

Hmm. The idea never really occured to me. Probably because I haven't (to my constant shame) played that many Zelda games. But considering that the whole framework is that the many "Links" are sort of an individual embodiment of this more abstract destined hero, it would be really cool to play around with that concept as different characters. Or at least, stray a bit more from the doppelgangers we've had so far.

Yeah, I think this is a really cool idea, I hope Nintendo see the potential in it. I'd love it if the next Link was like a Mom or something.

The only thing that popped into my head upon reading this is "are you fucking serious with this?" and that thought won't go away. Time for another vacation from gaming forums even though I just came back from one.

GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nmc2008 said:

@euandewar said:

@joshwent said:

@hailinel said:

The only thing that popped into my head upon reading this is "are you fucking serious with this?" and that thought won't go away. Time for another vacation from gaming forums even though I just came back from one.

I see nothing wrong with the idea. The first dungeon can represent the scars and stretch marks that labour induce, while the second can be all about FemLink coming to grips with having to sacrifice her personal and professional life to raise her family. Better yet, why not make Ganondorf the estranged father of said children and fucknoithinki'mvomitingallovermyselfnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nmc2008 said:

@euandewar said:

@joshwent said:

@hailinel said:

There was a Gameboy Castlevania where you played as a mom, Sonia Belmont. She was the mother of Trevor Belmont from Castlevania III.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Not a fan of this, but I'm pretty committed to tradition and the idea that Link has always been a boy.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By cloudymusic

@gunslingerpanda said:

Hey. Thanks for looking out for this stuff. You should definitely see if you can get in touch with Nintendo so they can put this potential fantasy FemLink design to rights, lest they screw up the image of their own creation. Might wanna add that they should bring Wind Waker in line with OoT. Actually, OoT Link was real different from the manual artwork of LttP, so fix that first. Then again, even LttP Link looked nothing like the original one portrayed in the TLoZ manual. Oh, and don't forget to tell them to change his hair colour back to it's original.

Should also probably remove the boobs and give her a penis.

What? I don't care about the consistency of Link's character design. I'm not even a particularly big Zelda fan. I just think that Japanese character designers' reliance on the short skirt/tall boots combo to be ridiculously overdone and predictable, and that it's funny that the main observable difference between this "female Link" and regular Link is pretty much solely that.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Hm. Interesting.

No problem with a female Link myself.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@nmc2008 said:

@euandewar said:

@joshwent said:

@hailinel said:

I see nothing wrong with the idea. The first dungeon can represent the scars and stretch marks that labour induce, while the second can be all about FemLink coming to grips with having to sacrifice her personal and professional life to raise her family. Better yet, why not make Ganondorf the estranged father of said children and fucknoithinki'mvomitingallovermyselfnow

I don't get the issue.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well this has gotten weird, dark, and weird dark very quickly.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Some dudes here are taking this subject in a very strange way.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
    SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@brodehouse said:

You don't understand; we want women protagonists, but only if they're dressed in a way that covers their shame.

Yeah, what's the point of having a female character if you can't show a little skin, right?

A woman in practical, comfortable clothing might as well be a man.

SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@hailinel said:

Well, the idea was to design Link as a lady in the context of an existing design. Not to design a female Link from scratch.

Well yeah, that was their problem. That isn't conducive to an interesting design.

How is it out of character? Link is a figure that doesn't have much a specifically defined personality, different Links have different histories. Who's to say that a female Link wouldn't wear something like that?

Okay, if you prefer: substitute "role" for "character". Presumably, Link will be doing the same thing Link always does, ie poking around in dungeons and fighting monsters. Now admittedly I've never worn a miniskirt and long boots, but I can't imagine it's very comfortable for heavy physical activity (or any activity).

Someone else brought up kid Link, but notice that his boots are not extra-long. That's a believable, comfortable outfit for a kid who isn't a full-fledged hero/adventurer yet.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saturdaynightspecials: Older Link in Ocarina ran around in a tunic and tights. So I don't see your point. Different Links wear different outfits. If a female Link wears boots like that, what's the issue? Her legs are actually better protected than most Links that have appeared.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Dan_CiTi

GIrl Link would be nice, even as a one off, and as well fo a "Legend of Link" where you play as Zelda, if handlded well it could be super interesting and great.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By wrighteous86

I honestly can't tell how it would be perceived by the internet now if I said I'd be all for a Zelda main character that is a descendent of the others and everything, dresses in the Link clothing, but I'd rather she have a different name and not be a female "Link". That she could still be one of the "Heroes" but still a separate character from Link, in name at least - just so it's a new character.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this is official then it's the laziest concept art I've ever seen. They literally just took Link's attire and put it on a woman...

I'm all for a Zelda game with a female protagonist, but it wouldn't mean anythingif Nintendo made it and stuck to the formula (which I can see them doing). What would be the difference if it's the same story of a elf girl who finds the magic sword, never ever talks, visits a set of different dungeons, gets a pony/boat/train/bird, defeats an ancient evil, saves the world/kingdom?

You could literally put anything in Link's place and it wouldn't make a difference. Put a talking cat, a sentient toaster oven, a Tupac hologram....because the gameplay would be the same.

Give us the option to choose Link's gender in the next Zelda, or just make her a girl, I'm all for it, but don't be surprised if it makes absolutely no difference in the game. Link never talks, he/she would still be the same soulless vessel with no personality or character. I guess my problem is bigger than just Zelda. If a game is going to give me the option to choose between different races and genders, then give it some meaning, don't just do it because.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks more like Riding Hood than the Robin Hood-style attire I'd associate with Link. What little I can see of the design in the upper-right corner seems better in that respect. I just wouldn't like to have a female Link designed such that it screams "HEY LOOK LINK IS A GIRL NOW ISN'T SHE ADORBS."

You could literally put anything in Link's place and it wouldn't make a difference. [...] a Tupac hologram....

I can already imagine all the residents of Hyrule hanging off of Holo-Pac when he's shopping for items, booking him for all of their mini-game parties... The dead eyes failing to emote upon opening a chest. Fund it!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this is official then it's the laziest concept art I've ever seen. They literally just took Link's attire and put it on a woman...

I'm all for a Zelda game with a female protagonist, but it wouldn't mean anythingif Nintendo made it and stuck to the formula (which I can see them doing). What would be the difference if it's the same story of a elf girl who finds the magic sword, never ever talks, visits a set of different dungeons, gets a pony/boat/train/bird, defeats an ancient evil, saves the world/kingdom?

You could literally put anything in Link's place and it wouldn't make a difference. Put a talking cat, a sentient toaster oven, a Tupac hologram....because the gameplay would be the same.

Give us the option to choose Link's gender in the next Zelda, or just make her a girl, I'm all for it, but don't be surprised if it makes absolutely no difference in the game. Link never talks, he/she would still be the same soulless vessel with no personality or character. I guess my problem is bigger than just Zelda. If a game is going to give me the option to choose between different races and genders, then give it some meaning, don't just do it because.

The Links that have come and gone throughout the series are unique individuals with their own histories. While their personalities are thinly defined, they do have character, and relationships with others. The Link of Skyward Sword was a friend of Zelda since childhood. The Link of Ocarina of Time was an orphan raised by the Great Deku Tree and lived among the Kokiri. The Link of Wind Waker has a younger sister and lives with his grandmother. All of them are thrust into their adventures for different reasons in different ways, and though they're all essentially the same heroic, green clad hero at the most basic level, it's the specific details of who they are and where they come from that set them apart. You can't just replace Link with a cat or a Tupac hologram because they aren't characters that fit in the world, just as you couldn't drop the Link of Twilight Princess into the era of Wind Waker and expect him to react in the same exact ways to those around him. He doesn't have the relationships with those characters that the Link of Wind Waker cultivated over the course of his life.

So while a female Link, or Linkle, as the art book seems to call this particular design, may not differ in drastic ways in terms of coming from the same hero archetype that is a staple of the Zelda series, she would still be a unique character. Her relationships to and with others wouldn't be the same as other Links, regardless of gender.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Awe, I love her.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Linkle," huh? Why not take it a step further? Why not T. Linklesaur Muncharupees?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You all might have seen the quickly-locked blog post that I wrote as a response to many of the reactions in this thread that was quickly locked. I went ahead and added what I had to say there to this thread.

SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@saturdaynightspecials: Older Link in Ocarina ran around in a tunic and tights. So I don't see your point.

So? Leggings were often worn by soldiers historically (and later Link designs had tougher-looking material for the legs). Thigh-highs, I'm pretty sure, have always been a fashion thing.

The core issue here is not that I'm offended by lady thighs in a video game. I'm not. I'm just so tired of seeing details in character designs (however small) that make me think "Why is this here? Oh yeah, because certain people need fan service to be interested in anything." It's depressing.

syz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Linkle," huh? Why not take it a step further? Why not T. Linklesaur Muncharupees?

Linkle D. Breakyerpots.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A female Link rescuing a male prince of Hyrule. I know it'll never happen but it could be a cool twist... even just a Zelda game where you play as Zelda would be cool really. Still, this is one boat that Nintendo will not be rocking any time soon.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By TruthTellah

@syz said:
    @catarrhal said:

Linkle D. Breakyerpots.

No Caption Provided

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest, I would rather see a Zelda led game rather than a female Link. I think it would be more interesting to play a more magic focused character rather than another swords and bows focused hero in a Zelda game.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

You can tell it's a girl because of the Zettai Ryouiki.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That's pretty cool I guess. Honestly, I always thought Link was kind of a girl-ish character anyway when I played Zelda way back when. It wasn't until Ocarina of Time that someone pointed out to me that he was a dude. I know that sounds crazy and it is, but I never really held much stock in the Zelda games (just not my thing) so I never really paid much attention to anything. Which also explains why I never played through an entire Zelda game before. I just got about a quarter of the way and went "this is dumb!" and went back to playing Mortal Kombat or Quake. lol.

I know, I know, I'm a horrible person.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@hailinel said:

You all might have seen the quickly-locked blog post that I wrote as a response to many of the reactions in this thread that was quickly locked. I went ahead and added what I had to say there to this thread.

Yeah, I saw that. I was all ready to make a post telling you to say anything but Linkle. Ugh. Terrible name. Why can't a female Link just be named Link?

Earlier in the thread, I made a pretty flippant comment about how "all you have to do to make Link female is draw boobs", something which you spent a whole paragraph or so tearing down in that thread (and didn't respond to me here about it?). Yes, I do know that there's a little more to it than that. You have to make the body a little curvier, you have to draw the face in a slightly more feminine way, you have to do more than put breasts on one of the other designs and be done. I was mostly just joking about the already-feminine appearance of Link in a lot of the Zelda games.

But, uh, in that recent trailer for a Zelda game on the Wii U? That incarnation of Link really does just need a pair of boobs to be female.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I don't care what sex Link is in a game, i just want to play some more Legend of Zelda, its not like Lara being a girl in Tomb Raider ever stopped people playing that.

Avatar image for deactivated-646e7f440ab1b
    deactivated-646e7f440ab1b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm all for a female Link, but Linkle is a terrible, terrible name.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Hailinel

@hailinel said:

Yeah, I saw that. I was all ready to make a post telling you to say anything but Linkle. Ugh. Terrible name. Why can't a female Link just be named Link?

Earlier in the thread, I made a pretty flippant comment about how "all you have to do to make Link female is draw boobs", something which you spent a whole paragraph or so tearing down in that thread (and didn't respond to me here about it?). Yes, I do know that there's a little more to it than that. You have to make the body a little curvier, you have to draw the face in a slightly more feminine way, you have to do more than put breasts on one of the other designs and be done. I was mostly just joking about the already-feminine appearance of Link in a lot of the Zelda games.

But, uh, in that recent trailer for a Zelda game on the Wii U? That incarnation of Link really does just need a pair of boobs to be female.

By the time I had time to respond, I figured it was better to just compile all of my responses into one post. But anyway:

No Caption Provided

Nope. That's still a masculine frame, if a slender one.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@saturdaynightspecials: Older Link in Ocarina ran around in a tunic and tights. So I don't see your point.

So? Leggings were often worn by soldiers historically (and later Link designs had tougher-looking material for the legs). Thigh-highs, I'm pretty sure, have always been a fashion thing.

The core issue here is not that I'm offended by lady thighs in a video game. I'm not. I'm just so tired of seeing details in character designs (however small) that make me think "Why is this here? Oh yeah, because certain people need fan service to be interested in anything." It's depressing.

I should have clarified, older Link in Ocarina of Time only ran around in a tunic and tights. He had no armor at all. No mail shirt, no protective gear of any sort other than his shield. And as impractical as Linkle's boots are for their length (I'll grant you that), she's still better protected than the majority of Link incarnations just for the fact hat she has visible armor protection under her clothing.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@hailinel said:

@believer258 said:

@hailinel said:

By the time I had time to respond, I figured it was better to just compile all of my responses into one post. But anyway:

No Caption Provided

I can't agree. Hell, I think you could say it's a flat-chested girl and I'd believe you.

Also, please tell me you see how terrible the name "Linkle" is. You seem to be using it seriously. Even if it didn't rhyme with "tinkle", it would sound pretty bad.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@believer258 said:

@hailinel said:

No Caption Provided

I can't agree. Hell, I think you could say it's a flat-chested girl and I'd believe you.

Also, please tell me you see how terrible the name "Linkle" is. You seem to be using it seriously. Even if it didn't rhyme with "tinkle", it would sound pretty bad.

It's a silly, goofy name, yeah, but I'm willing to roll with it. I mean, we've got Tingle, for crying out loud.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: I see where you're coming from but I fail to see how that changes anything. If a sentient toaster was making toast for Zelda since childhood of course they would have a special connection, if the toaster's adoptive sister was kidnapped by a giant bird of course it would go after her, and if the great Deku tree sent a fairy to get Link the Toaster to save Hyrule of course he would do it.

There's a big difference between having a history and having character & personality. Gordon Freeman has a history (I believe) yet I still have no idea how he actually thinks. Corvo Attano has a whole background story but zero personality otherwise, it's the same with Link(le).

In The Wind Waker, Nintendo came so close to actually making me care about Link as a person. The expressions in his face, the motivation to save his sister, all that stuff made Link seem like his own being. I guess my point is that if they're ever going to make a female Link, they should do it for a genuine reason that makes us care about the character, not just because players should have a choice.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Link with boobs!

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

People remember you name the main character in Zelda games right? You never have to see the name Linkle if you don't want to so I'm not sure why that's a big deal. It isn't a very good name though. The design looks good to me, if you're going to make a female Link it should have the same basic designs I think.

I'd be perfectly fine playing as a female in a Zelda game, though I can't say I'm clamoring for it. Just give me more Zelda and I'll be happy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.