Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Illusion of Gaia

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Nov 27, 1993

An action-RPG that tells the story of a boy named Will and his quest to stop a comet from destroying the Earth.

Convince me this game is good

leafhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By leafhouse

So I started to play the connected Quintet games (Act Raiser, Soul Blazer, IoG and Terranigma) and I just finished this for the first time. I feel like I've spent my whole life hearing only good things but I don't really see why. The story seemed super meh, the characters were throw-away and the combat didn't change up enough to remain interesting.

I did like a few story beats such as the raft, and Hamlet's sacrifice and the score and artwork is solid, but overall I felt myself wanting it to end. If you love it, why? And if you agree with me, lemme know!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

leafhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave i really like soul blazer, im actually currently writing an article on how much I like it!

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Yea, I have to admit that the plot is directionless, unable to tie together the themes which are admittedly worth exploring. But if I remember correctly, the combat had some weight behind it, you had some cool environments, the presentation was top notch, and maybe some other shit. If I don't remember correctly, read this blog I wrote on the subject.

McHampton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By McHampton

I played it a few years back as I was running through that trilogy of Quintet games. The main thing I recall is the dialogue being incredibly funny. It had a very wordy plot and it was poorly translated so many of the lines were really bizarre and stilted.

I remember something like"I've read about being adrift, but I never thought it could happen to me... Sometimes disasters happen suddenly.

Gameplay wise I didn't like it much at all. Killing every enemy for a stat boost was an annoying feature and I preferred the open backtrackable nature of Soul Blazer to Illusion of gaia where you're constantly just drifting where the story takes you, no looking back, similarly to Saga Frontier 2 I suppose.

Although in the end I managed to finish it, unlike Terranigma, and I actually liked the feel of combat, the writing, and the art direction more in the third one. Just couldn't make it to the end of that game.

HelicopterSpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved Act Raiser and Soul Blazer and I remember being super excited to play this game. The first two are some of my favorite games of the era, maybe ever. That said though, I remember nothing about the other two, i don't even think I played Terranigma. I should probably clear out some time and go back, right?

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sinusoidal

No help here, I loved Soul Blazer and Terranigma is easily one of the best SNES games ever made, but ActRaiser and Illusion of Gaia never did it for me either.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By cloudymusic

@leafhouse said:

@fredchuckdave i really like soul blazer, im actually currently writing an article on how much I like it!

Awesome! Soul Blazer is probably my favorite Quintet game (with ActRaiser close behind). Probably half out of nostalgia, but I also genuinely did like a lot of the things about it, like gradually reviving a town and being able to explore new areas, and the large number of hidden optional items to find via late-game backtracking. It makes me sad that it never seems to get the love that some of Quintet's other SNES games did.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By TruthTellah

@leafhouse: I quite enjoyed Illusion of Gaia, but I would agree that it's no Soul Blazer. But, as you put it "a few story beats such as the raft, and Hamlet's sacrifice and the score and artwork is solid" are certainly reasons why I held it in high regard when I was younger. I also enjoyed the combat system.

The floating city was also something that sparked my imagination, and the whole thing just felt like a compelling adventure. I imagine it doesn't hold up as much as some other classics, but it was quite something for the time. :)

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

leafhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.