Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Insomniac Games

Company »

Insomniac Games was founded in 1994, and for a decade developed titles exclusively for Sony platforms such as Spyro, Ratchet and Clank, and Resistance. In 2013 they released their first multiplatform game, Fuse, on PS3 and Xbox 360, and in 2014 released their first current-gen title, Sunset Overdrive, exclusively on the Xbox One.

Insomniac going multi-platform? (IGN Rumour)

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Rhaknar

so this popped up on IGN...

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1077373p1.html

"March 12, 2010 - Overheard at the Game Developers Conference: Insomniac Games has become a multiplatform developer. The company, best known for the Ratchet & Clank and Resistance franchises, is allegedly creating cross-platform software for both PS3 and Xbox 360, according to a trusted source who spoke with IGN under the condition of anonymity.

Insomniac Games has enjoyed a long and fruitful relationship with Sony, but remains an independent studio, which affords it the right to create games for any platform should it choose. The company is based in Burbank, California. Earlier this year, Insomniac Games expanded its resources when it opened a new studio in North Carolina.

Last year, an alleged billboard advertising Resistance 3 was said to have been erected during the filming of a forthcoming feature film titled Battle: Los Angeles. Details here. Given that Sony has in the past published the series, it seems unlikely that the first-person shooter -- or, for that matter, Ratchet & Clank, also funded by Sony -- would ever appear on a competitor's console. It seems much more likely that if rumors are true and Insomniac is working on 360, it is creating something altogether new.

We contacted Sony for comment but the company was unable to respond before publish time.

Insomniac Games' president Ted Price said only that the developer does not comment on rumors and speculation. "

So the question is... is this true? Or better yet...would you be surprised? As we know, more and more third party companies go multi platform with the growing costs of games, and while I believe Resistance sold well, i'm pretty sure the Ratchet games (even tho I love them) haven't really been topping the charts the last few years. Now, if true, this does not mean that either Resistance or Ratchet would come to 360, since those are published by Sony, but any future IP would be fair game. For me, whatever helps great studios make money, go for it. And Insomniac is a great studio.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By penguindust

I'm not sure how Resistance would fare among the already crowded 360 shooter market, and I don't see R&C coming to the platform either.  I guess it would be possible for the games studio to partially break from Sony with a new IP game for both systems.  Lead on the PS3 and pick up a wad of cash from the 360 sales.  Look at Borderlands and Bioshock 2's 360 sales versus their PS3 sales.  The truth of the matter is, in North America, there still aren't as many PS3's in the wild as their are 360s.  And that is the biggest marketplace for shooter games, so if they were going to create something specifically developed to make money, then being on the 360 as well as the PS3 would be a good idea. 

I am all about sharing the love, so even though I own both a PS3 & and 360, the more games that everyone can play, the better.  I hope it's true, but I feel that sometimes these rumors get twisted as they work their way through the gossip vine.  Watch it be Insomniac was issued a Natal kit and that's how all this chatter began.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Rhaknar
    @PenguinDust said:

" I'm not sure how Resistance would fare among the already crowded 360 shooter market, and I don't see R&C coming to the platform either.  I guess it would be possible for the games studio to partially break from Sony with a new IP game for both systems.  Lead on the PS3 and pick up a wad of cash from the 360 sales.  Look at Borderlands and Bioshock 2's 360 sales versus their PS3 sales.  The truth of the matter is, in North America, there still aren't as many PS3's in the wild as their are 360s.  And that is the biggest marketplace for shooter games, so if they were going to create something specifically developed to make money, then being on the 360 as well as the PS3 would be a good idea.   I am all about sharing the love, so even though I own both a PS3 & and 360, the more games that everyone can play, the better.  I hope it's true, but I feel that sometimes these rumors get twisted as they work their way through the gossip vine.  Watch it be Insomniac was issued a Natal kit and that's how all this chatter began. "

Like i said, Resistance and Ratchet are both published by Sony, they couldnt come to the 360. This would only apply to new IPs
    Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By buzz_killington

The franchises are owned by Sony, not just published. But yeah, Sony doesn't own Insomniac and I guess their contract with them ran out and Insomniac likes them some money, so it just makes sense.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Gabriel

New IP could possibly be multi-platform.

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By mattbodega

Yeah, I guess Insomniac IS technically independent.....huh. You just associate them with Sony and forget the independent part.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Whisperkill

This has been speculated ever since they started that second studio.

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Aetos

As long as its a new IP its possible. 
    But I'm never sure about these rumors. Sometimes they're dead on and other times they're completely off base. Just have to wait and see i guess.

KinjiroSSD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By KinjiroSSD

Due to their close bond with Sony, Insomniac gets alot of development support especially from Naughty Dog. I wonder if Sony would cut that support line in retaliation. This could be harmful to both Insomniac and Sony but that's the price of freedom I suppose.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Evilsbane

Well I hope it isn't anything to do with Resistance or a shooter (I really found Resistance 1&2 to be..underwhelming for the hype they seem to get) but I found Rachet and Clank to be fantastic games and to have something from them on the 360 would be pretty sweet.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By neoepoch

Ya know, IGN's inside source has been wrong on multiple occasions. Metal Gear Rising being 360 exclusive, Kid Icarus was going to be at E3 2008, and other wrong info.
    Apparently PR at Insomniac has even shot down this rumor with Ted Price said that the new North Carolina studio was making PS3 games and another PR manager stating that this rumor seems to pop up every 2 months as was always wrong every time.  

http://meodia.com/news/787/here-we-go-again-insomniac-response-to-multiplatform-rumors/

It seems that IGN is just trying to get ridiculous hits again or their source is just wrong.
    wh1terav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By wh1terav3n

My guess is that they will create a new IP, and perhaps shop it around. We won't see it for a long time though.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By ajamafalous

The first thing I though when I saw the title was "DUDE I CAN PLAY RATCHET GAMES AGAIN!"

Then I read the OP and cried.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By spankingaddict

as long as they keep making awesome games, im happy....

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Andorski

Does Insomniac own the Resistance IP, or is that also Sony's?

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By neoepoch
    @Andorski: Sony owns Resistance and Ratchet and Clank.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.