Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Inverted Controls

Concept »

The action of inverting the controls for looking and aiming (i.e., instead of pushing up on the analog stick to look up, you push down.)

Anybody else use inverted controls for just a few games?

gumdealer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By gumdealer

I'm finally playing through Yakuza 3 a few years after beating the first two. The first thing I noticed was that once I changed the controls to be non-inverted, I could just not play, I need to invert the camera. What's weird is that every single other game I play (besides flight games) I use regular controls. I think I need to invert Yakuza 3 because the first two games defaulted to inverted, and its just stuck in my head that this is the way you play this series.

Anybody else do this for a select few games? Or those of you who always stick to inverted controls, is there any games you need to play non-inverted?

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Bigandtasty

I used to go inverted only for the Metroid Prime games for some reason. That was before I started playing more console shooters though.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By jonnyboy

All inverted, all the time.

Also fuck all the "The stick represents the head and neck" bollocks. There is no 'theory' to controls inversion. The simple fact is: If you played any console shooters before Halo then all aiming/camera controls were inverted by default and you were, like me, simply conditioned that way.

Phew, sorry about that, but if I see another one of those diagrams...

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By myke_tuna

@jonnyboy: I am very much in the same boat. I feel like Star Fox on SNES was inverted normally and I just learned how to play that way. Since I played that game zoomed in to what was basically first person, cockpit view during the space levels, I just naturally played Halo and such that way. I found it odd it WASN'T inverted.

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
    Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

I used to invert the camera for regular third person, but have it normal for aiming. The justification was that I saw the camera as an actual camera in 3D space, with the right stick controlling it. So if I pushed left on the stick, the camera would move to the left around your guy, but you'd see to the right. But when there was a dot or reticule or something on the screen, the right stick would move that around. It worked great for games that allowed you to invert the aiming camera separate from the normal one, but inFamous eventually forced me to keep it consistent. 

So no more invert for me.

mscupcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By mscupcakes

I used to play inverted for every single game but at some point I just stopped doing it. Now I can't go back.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By jonnyboy

@myketuna said:

@jonnyboy: I am very much in the same boat. I feel like Star Fox on SNES was inverted normally and I just learned how to play that way. Since I played that game zoomed in to what was basically first person, cockpit view during the space levels, I just naturally played Halo and such that way. I found it odd it WASN'T inverted.

It's really hard to find a game that wasn't inverted by default back then especially on the PS1 and 2 when we finally got a dedicated camera joystick, Half life and all the Grand Theft Auto games for example. I'm really lazy, I just became accustomed to the way it was set up. Now I can set the 360 dashboard to invert all my games by default so I don't have to.

Also if any of you play inverted DON'T BUY Beyond Good an Evil HD, because it inverts the Y AND the X axis, for reasons I can only assume are a huge practical joke at the expense of the rest of the world by the French.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By ajamafalous

When games invert the X axis and don't let you change it it's the worst thing in the world.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By apathylad

I invert the Y-axis on Star Fox, but that's about all I can think of.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.