Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ion Fury

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Aug 15, 2019

An all-new Build engine game that follows in the tradition of 90s FPS classics like Duke Nukem 3D and Blood.

In-game 'joke'

HIMSteveO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By HIMSteveO

Some may think this is stupid, but I've avoided this game because of the transphobic/homophobic 'jokes' in it, and the devs reversing their decision to patch them out under the guise of 'censorship'. I don't want this to devolve into an argument over the absolution of free speech, but I'm curious if... was skipping what seems to be a very good 'boomer shooter' (which is such a lazy-arsed label) because of a 'principled' reason was a step too far? Sometimes I question the conviction behind my decisions, other than 'it seems like the right thing to do'. Is there much of that bullshit in there and has it since been removed? I don't feel great giving groups like this money if they're still sticking to their 'Hur-hur-hur can't you take a joke? Derp free speech!' line...

Lab392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Lab392

seems like homophobic content was a word printed on a shampoo bottle and a zone in the game that can only be accessed with a noclip cheat.

it's up to you, really. if it makes you feel weird, don't play the game. if you want to play the game, play the game. sometimes i worry that we put too much moral weight on the consumption of art. it's perfectly fine to feel weird about morally questionable content or a morally questionable creator and not want to play a game or watch a movie or whatever. and it's similarly fine to check something out in spite of it's questionableness. neither of those make you a good or a bad person. what's really important is how you treat other people.

Edit: it seems like the worst one (the noclip zone) has been removed/renamed. so do with that what you will.

mach_go_go_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are hundreds, literally hundreds, of 'boomer shooters' that are out there and worth your time and money that aren't this one.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

I always liked Bulletstorm for its weirdly subversive writing and hard-hitting, explosive gameplay.

If you're that bothered by this, go for that, though there's some pretty "tryhard" stuff in there too. But most of it is either played for laughs or a punchline rather than actually being seen as "kewl."

Also there is no absolute free speech, there never has been, there never should be, and anyone who says otherwise is selling or buying something.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't remember anything remotely offensive in there but i'm pretty ignorant, it's one of the best games i've played in recent years.

apewins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By apewins

Apparently it's one joke in the environment that's easy to miss. It sounds like the type of joke that would be in a GTA game, I don't think it's necessarily homophobic so much as in generally just a failed attempt at being funny. I have never seen a piece of comedy where I thought that every joke was funny so I don't really see why you need to get hung up on that. It would be a different thing if the game were littered by that sort of thing throughout.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.