Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Japan

Location » linked to 1351 games

Japan is an island country located in Eastern Asia and the Northwestern Pacific Ocean. In the video game industry, Japan has for a long time been one of the most important territories for the development and sale of video games.

Akihabara (Quick Notes)

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

Back from first trip to Akihabara. Got camera batteries and power strip so we can charge our stuff. Gonna be staying at the hotel for a few hours to get everything organized and such.

Quick Notes:

Akihabara is better than I ever expected (I had high expectations)

The batteries I had so much trouble trying to get in America were in abundance at the very first store we went in outside of Akihabara Station.  

Hatsune Miku is EVERYWHERE

Bought awesome capsule toys and Famicom (NES) memorabilia that I will have pictures up of soon.

Pokémon Diamond/Pearl Macaroni and Cheese!

Went in massive arcade complex and played some weird Pokémon battle game (have some video footage of it before we were told to turn the camera off)   

Most video footage will be of the outside only. I already knew they didn't like you filming indoors, but I didn't know to what extent until today. 

Played this arcade game was on a system link with multiple players. I played as a lolita robot and won in the second round! (lost the others though :( I had no idea what I was doing) 

Played Tekken 5. As opposed to winning the best 2 out of 3, matches go until one player gets 3 wins total. Machines are also placed back-to-back, as opposed to two players playing on the same screen or side-by-side. This makes it more fun, especially since you can't see your opponent and can focus on the game! It seems like 100 Yen (or whatever it costs) will last until you lose; I kept winning so I got to keep playing.  

One entire floor of a store was devoted to Gundam. 

Saw some cool Rockman (Mega Man) figurines. 

Need to buy a satchel/backpack for capsule toys. 

Capsule toys are ADDICTIVE. It's like Shenmue all over again. 

Tried to get a Slime from Dragon Quest out of a claw machine. I failed. 

Think it is funny that I speak Japanese to Japanese people but they speak English to me. Have had full conversations of each other using the opposite language that we normally speak. 

Went to a Pachinko place. Pachinko is crazy! Instead of our boring slot machines with just 7's and cherries and such, they have pictures of Evangelion characters, or Resident Evil (GameCube remake) video footage where it seems like you have a little bit control over what happens on screen (saw a guy shooting a monster by pressing the buttons to stop the slots). 

Might want to say, "Hello" next time I answer the phone. I said "Mushi Mushi" and the guy started talking about housekeepers in Japanese. I had to be all like, "Nihongo wa hanassemasen (forgive my Romaji. I am learning Japanese in kanji/hiragana at the moment) 

OK, gonna charge stuff and get cameras ready and organize hotel room and transfer videos to external HDD etc. 

Go here for pictures/video of the trip. 

Oh, and I saw this awesome S.S. uniform with the swastika and everything. And air guns as you may know are super realistic over here. 

I am sorry about my grammar/spelling/punctuation; these are called Quick Notes for a reason! 

Proper blogs will be put up in August. 

--- 
    Rest of the Quick Notes will go into my blog, but WILL NOT be posted to the forums. Follow me or go here for updates in the future.

CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Back from first trip to Akihabara. Got camera batteries and power strip so we can charge our stuff. Gonna be staying at the hotel for a few hours to get everything organized and such.

Quick Notes:

Akihabara is better than I ever expected (I had high expectations)

The batteries I had so much trouble trying to get in America were in abundance at the very first store we went in outside of Akihabara Station.  

Hatsune Miku is EVERYWHERE

Bought awesome capsule toys and Famicom (NES) memorabilia that I will have pictures up of soon.

Pokémon Diamond/Pearl Macaroni and Cheese!

Went in massive arcade complex and played some weird Pokémon battle game (have some video footage of it before we were told to turn the camera off)   

Most video footage will be of the outside only. I already knew they didn't like you filming indoors, but I didn't know to what extent until today. 

Played this arcade game was on a system link with multiple players. I played as a lolita robot and won in the second round! (lost the others though :( I had no idea what I was doing) 

Played Tekken 5. As opposed to winning the best 2 out of 3, matches go until one player gets 3 wins total. Machines are also placed back-to-back, as opposed to two players playing on the same screen or side-by-side. This makes it more fun, especially since you can't see your opponent and can focus on the game! It seems like 100 Yen (or whatever it costs) will last until you lose; I kept winning so I got to keep playing.  

One entire floor of a store was devoted to Gundam. 

Saw some cool Rockman (Mega Man) figurines. 

Need to buy a satchel/backpack for capsule toys. 

Capsule toys are ADDICTIVE. It's like Shenmue all over again. 

Tried to get a Slime from Dragon Quest out of a claw machine. I failed. 

Think it is funny that I speak Japanese to Japanese people but they speak English to me. Have had full conversations of each other using the opposite language that we normally speak. 

Went to a Pachinko place. Pachinko is crazy! Instead of our boring slot machines with just 7's and cherries and such, they have pictures of Evangelion characters, or Resident Evil (GameCube remake) video footage where it seems like you have a little bit control over what happens on screen (saw a guy shooting a monster by pressing the buttons to stop the slots). 

Might want to say, "Hello" next time I answer the phone. I said "Mushi Mushi" and the guy started talking about housekeepers in Japanese. I had to be all like, "Nihongo wa hanassemasen (forgive my Romaji. I am learning Japanese in kanji/hiragana at the moment) 

OK, gonna charge stuff and get cameras ready and organize hotel room and transfer videos to external HDD etc. 

Go here for pictures/video of the trip. 

Oh, and I saw this awesome S.S. uniform with the swastika and everything. And air guns as you may know are super realistic over here. 

I am sorry about my grammar/spelling/punctuation; these are called Quick Notes for a reason! 

Proper blogs will be put up in August. 

--- 
    Rest of the Quick Notes will go into my blog, but WILL NOT be posted to the forums. Follow me or go here for updates in the future.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

You should have took me with you.           :(

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By EVO

You have to go to Super Potato. When I was living in Tokyo I practically lived there.

CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JJOR64: Nooooo why didn't you tell me before :(
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@EVO: Oh, definitely. I have been planning on going there for a while now! We are probably going back to Akihabara tonight as well as tomorrow. So much to see and do!
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By eroticfishcake

I want pictures NOW damn it! 

Never been to Akihabara let alone Japan but it sounds pretty fun!

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By EVO
    @Vito_Raliffe said:
    " @EVO: Oh, definitely. I have been planning on going there for a while now! We are probably going back to Akihabara tonight as well as tomorrow. So much to see and do! "
    If there's one place you go it has to be there. Also, I liked to just lurk the basement of that SEGA arcade just watching dudes chain smoke and play Tekken 6. One time there was even a beautiful girl playing... Only in Japan, eh?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.