Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killzone 3

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 22, 2011

Killzone 3 continues the story of the invasion of the planet Helghan by the oppressive forces of the merciless Interplanetary Strategic Alliance. The game also features an improved multiplayer progression system and refined classes.

Killzone 3 split screen campaign confirmed

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By OmegaPirate

Taken from   http://www.sanctuary4gamers.com/content.php/1488-Killzone-3-split-screen-confirmed 
     Apologies if already posted elsewhere 

Guerrilla Games has confirmed previous reports that Killzone 3 is to support split-screen co-op throughout its single-player campaign.
    Speaking to 1UP, studio manager Herman Hulst used the feature as an example of how much further the third game's pushing the PS3 hardware compared to the last.

"We found a lot of power after we completed Killzone 2. Just to give you an example on the graphics side: we pulled a level from Killzone 2 into the Killzone 3 engine and it ran at 50 percent. That's how much power we've been able to find," he said.
    "You can see it in split-screen co-op. We had to do the double rendering anyway."

Co-op was strongly tipped after an online screenshot showing the feature.
    We can only assume that if split-screen's in, then online co-op will follow. Finger's crossed."

Ignoring the obvious 'POWA OF DAH PS3' speak from the studio manager I'm actually really stoked about this - One of my favorite loves, is first person shooters; the other is playing video games with the mrs!  So any game that allows us to co-op any part of it (resident evil, gears,cod,halo etc) is welcome in my house! (i was totally gonna get it anyway :D ) 

I do hope that they go the extra step and make it online co-op, i mean come on if they've go offline split done they pretty much have to allow online too right?! 

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Nice! Hopefully it'll run well, I hate playing games in split screen and having performance or visuals take a hit (and I love playing co-op with a friend in the same room, on the same screen). 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

Noice! I always appreciate FPS's that still give you the option, no matter how online focused the game'll still be.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By ESREVER

Beautiful! As long as your co-op partner is never Rico, this should be awesome. Based on the screenshot, it looks like its Sev and Narville.  

I want Garza back :(

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OmegaPirate
    @ESREVER said:
    " Beautiful! As long as your co-op partner is never Rico, this should be awesome. Based on the screenshot, it looks like its Sev and Narville.   I want Garza back :( "
    Apparently rico is a lot less of a dick this time around!! though lets be honest - there are people currently on death row that are less of a dick than rico was in kz2!
    gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By gamb1t

2 was alright. hopefully3 is a wowzers

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By SSully

ABOUT GOD DAMN TIME! Jesus, you had an entire group of people with you throughout all of killzone, it was begging for splitscreen. I

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Spoonman671

They already have to boost the framerate for the sake of 3D, so that's probably where they got the room for split-screen from.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By RedRoach

I can't remember the last time I played split screen, but I still like having the option.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By LiquidPrince

Who the fuck still likes splitscreen. I mean, I know a lot of people do, but I don't understand why. I hate splitscreen.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By canucks23
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " Who the fuck still likes splitscreen. I mean, I know a lot of people do, but I don't understand why. I hate splitscreen. "
    I like being able to play a game with a somebody when i have them over. It's 1000000000000000000x better than passing the controller around, and i grew up playing a shit load of splitscreen games so i got a soft spot for it when games include it nowadays.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Spoonman671
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " Who the fuck still likes splitscreen. I mean, I know a lot of people do, but I don't understand why. I hate splitscreen. "
    Yeah, I don't really get it either.  I feel like there are much more worthwhile things developers can spend their time on (like net code for online co-op).  Then again, I did enjoy playing spec ops in Modern Warfare 2 with my brother in split-screen, even if I had to sit a foot away from the TV to see anything.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NTM

This games looks a step up from Killzone 2.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canucks23 said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    I like being able to play a game with a somebody when i have them over. It's 1000000000000000000x better than passing the controller around, and i grew up playing a shit load of splitscreen games so i got a soft spot for it when games include it nowadays. "
    This, and I constantly play with my little brother on splitscreen games.  I know tons of people who use splitscreen all the time.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By mordukai
    @SSully said:
    " ABOUT GOD DAMN TIME! Jesus, you had an entire group of people with you throughout all of killzone, it was begging for splitscreen. I "
    WRONG!
    sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#16  Edited By sammo21

Cool!  Hopefully the wife will want to get in on this.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By TheHBK

How come PS3 devs are the only ones who like to talk about, how much of a % they are using the system?  This isn't 2006 boys. 

Also, who gives a fuck about co-op?  You still have to be that retard Sev and his lover Rico.  Killzone 2 would have been a better game if those two assholes weren't in it. 
    I thought Killzone 2 was a great game, even with the wonky controls and shitty ass storyline.  The lightning gun was fucking badass. 
    But lets get to the story.  Characters are terrible.  Then your telling me, there is a campaign to take down Helghan, a whole planet mind you, and the earth forces get all fucked up, even templar died.  And yet, the remnants of the earth forces are able to make their way to the capital and kill the leader?  So 1) how could they do that and 2) if they could, why the fuck did they wait for everyone to fucking get blown out of the sky first?

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Split screen has been fucked up since tv's went from 4:3 to 16:9.  Before a horizontal split would give you a nice 2:1 ratio, but now that gives you a 32:9 ratio, which isn't very good.  They have to do weird things to make it work now (like black bars/stacking the screens).

Having said that, I would sure hope there is a horizontal split option in killzone 3, because the one in the screenshot seems to narrow your view by 50%.

Does anyone know if a horizontal split requires more processing power than a vertical split? I mean the scale is a bit smaller with a horizontal split, but there is twice as much rendered as your field of view is twice as wide.  That split in the screenshot just seems really weird to me, and if it is the only option, it makes me wonder if it would be due to technical limitations.

TheSmashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TotalEklypse

hope that means online coop too.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @TheHBK said:

" How come PS3 devs are the only ones who like to talk about, how much of a % they are using the system?

lol, I know right.

I'm a little letdown that he forgot to mention how "The PS3 is the only platform something like this could be done on".
    Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Great.

dapperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dapperman

@TheHBK said:
    " How come PS3 devs are the only ones who like to talk about, how much of a % they are using the system?  This isn't 2006 boys.  Also, who gives a fuck about co-op?  You still have to be that retard Sev and his lover Rico.  Killzone 2 would have been a better game if those two assholes weren't in it. I thought Killzone 2 was a great game, even with the wonky controls and shitty ass storyline.  The lightning gun was fucking badass. But lets get to the story.  Characters are terrible.  Then your telling me, there is a campaign to take down Helghan, a whole planet mind you, and the earth forces get all fucked up, even templar died.  And yet, the remnants of the earth forces are able to make their way to the capital and kill the leader?  So 1) how could they do that and 2) if they could, why the fuck did they wait for everyone to fucking get blown out of the sky first? "

Now I have to agree with you on the characters being awful but saying Killzone hasn't a story is a little saddening to me. 

If you actually navigate the blog posts on Killzone.com there is an incredibly fascinating history to that world (I'd say to the scale of Mass Effect). It depresses me that GG seem to keep this story at gun-point in a basement somewhere rather than let it out to the game :/ 

At least that new story trailer seems to show signs of improvement
    Cazamalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Cazamalos

i heard the co op is online and offline 
    awesome 
    but i don't want to play as Rico or i would have to kill myself 

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By Bouke

Cool 

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TwoOneFive

yeah i love to play games with my girlfriend

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.