Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killzone 3

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 22, 2011

Killzone 3 continues the story of the invasion of the planet Helghan by the oppressive forces of the merciless Interplanetary Strategic Alliance. The game also features an improved multiplayer progression system and refined classes.

Post your KZ3 beta impressions here

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Enigma777

Just trying to get some discussion about the beta going on in here.

Played it for about 3 hours last night, and while there's some great new things (like Assists!) there's also a lot of bonehead moves.

• First and foremost, GG has removed all recoil from the guns (except the jetpack gun). That's complete BS! Recoil was one of the defining features of KZ2. It took you a while to master all the weapons and you had to use controlled burst fire instead of just holding down the button and not have your reticule move even a millimeter.

• Second, they've removed  most if not all of the bullet spread. Combine that with the lack of recoil and you can snipe people from across the map with a heavy LMG. Hell I was getting headshots with an SMG from 200 feet away without breaking a sweat! That's just not right...

• The matchmaking system also sucks pretty bad. For some unfathomable reason, they removed the server list and now you have a Bad Company 2-style matchmaking. i think we can all agree that BC2's weakest part was the matchmaking, and 7 out of the 8 games I played had largely disproportional teams (one might have 2-3 players while the other has 7-8) which again is just like BC2. not to mention that when a player drops out, the rooms just aren't repopulated (notice a trend with BC2 here) which makes the already imbalanced teams even worse. 

• Not a fan of the new Tactician and how spawning works now either. You have to capture certain nodes that you can then use to spawn, but those are usually in open areas so it results in some of the most intensive spawn camping I've ever seen in a FPS. Not to mention that the nodes will remain active for the rest of the match, so all you need is a tactician in the beginning of the game, then never use it again. Tacts in KZ2 controlled the battlefield, sending reinforcements where they were needed. A good one made or broke a team, but now that strategy is just gone.

• I like that they improved the melee system, but the range is too big. I've had many a time where a dude will just start running straight at me and trigger a cutscene from 5 feet way that I can't escape from. Reach handled this well where you could only Assassinate from the back. I think that would be very useful here.

I realize that this is a beta and most things are subject to change, but these are my impressions of it so far. I only focused on the negative things, but there's a lot of good stuff as well (like the mechs!). So what do you guys think of the beta?
    mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mfpantst

i liked what i saw in ze q-look.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Enigma777 said:
    " Just trying to get some discussion about the beta going on in here.

Played it for about 3 hours last night, and while there's some great new things (like Assists!) there's also a lot of bonehead moves.

• First and foremost, GG has removed all recoil from the guns (except the jetpack gun). That's complete BS! Recoil was one of the defining features of KZ2. It took you a while to master all the weapons and you had to use controlled burst fire instead of just holding down the button and not have your reticule move even a millimeter.

• Second, they've removed  most if not all of the bullet spread. Combine that with the lack of recoil and you can snipe people from across the map with a heavy LMG. Hell I was getting headshots with an SMG from 200 feet away without breaking a sweat! That's just not right...

• The matchmaking system also sucks pretty bad. For some unfathomable reason, they removed the server list and now you have a Bad Company 2-style matchmaking. i think we can all agree that BC2's weakest part was the matchmaking, and 7 out of the 8 games I played had largely disproportional teams (one might have 2-3 players while the other has 7-8) which again is just like BC2. not to mention that when a player drops out, the rooms just aren't repopulated (notice a trend with BC2 here) which makes the already imbalanced teams even worse. 

• Not a fan of the new Tactician and how spawning works now either. You have to capture certain nodes that you can then use to spawn, but those are usually in open areas so it results in some of the most intensive spawn camping I've ever seen in a FPS. Not to mention that the nodes will remain active for the rest of the match, so all you need is a tactician in the beginning of the game, then never use it again. Tacts in KZ2 controlled the battlefield, sending reinforcements where they were needed. A good one made or broke a team, but now that strategy is just gone.

• I like that they improved the melee system, but the range is too big. I've had many a time where a dude will just start running straight at me and trigger a cutscene from 5 feet way that I can't escape from. Reach handled this well where you could only Assassinate from the back. I think that would be very useful here.

I realize that this is a beta and most things are subject to change, but these are my impressions of it so far. I only focused on the negative things, but there's a lot of good stuff as well (like the mechs!). So what do you guys think of the beta? "
    BETA! Its a beta and not a release for a reason. 
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Enigma777
    @The_Laughing_Man: I know it's a beta.... It's why this topic is called "KZ3 BETA Impressions" 

juice8367

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By juice8367
    @Enigma777 said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: I know it's a beta.... It's why this topic is called "KZ3 BETA Impressions"    "
    You should probably post on their site since that would be the best way for them to learn about what they should tweak. 
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Enigma777
    @juice8367 said:

" @Enigma777 said:

" @The_Laughing_Man: I know it's a beta.... It's why this topic is called "KZ3 BETA Impressions"    "

You should probably post on their site since that would be the best way for them to learn about what they should tweak.  "
    That was the first thing I did. Just trying to get some conversation going about the game around these parts...
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Akeldama

I could not be happier with that beta. They are definitely on the right track to making that game even more awesome than the highly under appreciated Killzone 2. The controls feel way tighter while still maintaining the trademark Killzone weight. I am also super impressed with the framerate and map design. Roll on Killzone 3!

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By fjordson

I'm enjoying it. Of course, I've been playing a lot of Black Ops lately so Killzone feels kind of weird in comparing (and I really prefer the 360 pad to the DualShock 3 when it comes to shooters) but it feels pretty good. Visuals really are gorgeous.

Is there only one map? For some reason I remember seeing that there was three, but I've only played on the snowy one from the GB quick look.

Edit: I'm an idiot. Just realized the other two maps are in a second game mode. Oops.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.