Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killzone 3

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 22, 2011

Killzone 3 continues the story of the invasion of the planet Helghan by the oppressive forces of the merciless Interplanetary Strategic Alliance. The game also features an improved multiplayer progression system and refined classes.

Why do they use Flying Tables?

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Devil240Z

I feel like that is possibly the worst design for a troop transport.   

This is the one thing that I just can't suspend my disbelief on. I mean the Helgast use a pretty sensible troop transport, with doors and armor and all that. But the ISA ride to battle on flying carpets. I just don't see how that could have happened. No one thought that was a bad Idea back when some ISA scientist was designing weapons for the invasion of Helgan. 

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By OmegaPirate

See all the dudes that take more than a second to get off them in cutscenes? see what happens to them? they explode. 

All the doors and armour in the world wouldnt save you from anti aircraft fire - they arent meant for sustained conflict, just to get infantry down to the ground and into the fight asap. Leaping over a railing is quicker than fucking around with doors 

Thats how i see it anyway

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By xyzygy

I really need to see a picture of this. It sounds too dumb to be true.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Donos
    @OmegaPirate: Ever seen a helicopter? Seems like this problem was solved decades ago. Anyways,the Helghast transports would be fine if the guys didn't stand in the open doorway for a good 5 seconds before doing anything. 

I'm guessing the real answer is it opens up full airspace for camera movement in the cinematics.
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By onarum
    @xyzygy said:
    " I really need to see a picture of this. It sounds too dumb to be true. "

No Caption Provided
    Also I agree, It's an incredibly stupid design.
    Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Rockanomics

You'd be better protected in the back of a pickup truck.... yeah... flying pickups...

gunharp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By gunharp

All troop transport vehicles can be considered stupid for a lot of reasons. Hell look throughout history, do those Higgins Boats look good enough? Thank god we don't have to mass parachute troops, or land on beaches in large scale invasions anymore. 

@OmegaPirate:
    You have the right idea. I also like the limit of 5-9(?) personnel, the losses are less harsh per a transport and shooting down three is harder than one large transport. It also looks like one of the very few things in the game that could have actually been designed by a military force, haha. 

@Donos:

There is not a whole lot in a heli that is protecting you from "small arms" fire and If a RPG, Missle, or anti-aircraft hits one its out. Also the quick and speedy ones with evasion technologies are offensive gunships.  

The real story here is that it is fucking stupid to send waves of men at the direction of enemy fire. There is no real proper way about it, except to be quick which is what these flying carpets are good at. Before fire arms and explosive devices, a giant wood shield on wheels could protect you from arrows when advancing on say a castle. So what are these guys going to fly? Hovering future space cement bunkers? (wait yes!). A flying APC with agility and precession would be sillier than whats in Killzone (at least to me). Also think about extracting troops, these platforms are pretty good at that as well. 

Also think about the cinematic effect, I think the vistas and views of the battlefields and locations from those flying platforms have been brilliant. So something that makes a bit more sense would turn out to be a boring ride for the player.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Enigma777

I agree. The intruders never really made much sense to me. How do they not fall off?! Especially in that part of KZ2 where Sev jumps on it just as it takes off after the assault on the Cruiser and he's not even holding on to anything but he doesn't fall off.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By TheHBK

There are many reasons it is retarded. 
    1)  They are open, meaning people are gonna get shot on the way down.  Sure you can get out faster but whats the point if you are dead when that thing lands having been shot up by regular bullets from guys on the ground? 
    2)  Look at the opening for Killzone 2, those things are not very smooth or accurate in setting down, meaning your ass can get crippled by just the landing. 
    3)  They only have 4 guys on em?  That means you need a lot of em to transport people making it a nightmare 
    4)  They dont seem to have a way to retrieve those things.  I guess they can if they win the battle and reclaim them thereafter.  Point being, hovercraft, as retarded as these may seem, must cost a lot of money and resources.  I am sure they can use the metal in these things for shrapnel instead. 
    5)  They somehow keep Rico safe. 

In the end, they should just parachute guys in. 
    While I am here, can someone explain to me why the Helghast troops need masks and these regular ass humans invading Helghan don't?

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By dbz1995

If they use flying tables, why don't they just use the jet-packs? I'm just wondering-haven't played KZ3 yet.

tsolless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tsolless

Gameplay over story/design. It allows for a more cinematic view.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Spoonman671

I believe the in-fiction explanation is that these landers were originally cargo transports that were repurposed to meet the demands of war.  More likely this design was adapted as a higgins boat analogue in order to invoke WWII, as Guerrilla often does, with the added benefit of allowing for sweeping vistas to be displayed during cinematics.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
    @OmegaPirate said:
    " See all the dudes that take more than a second to get off them in cutscenes? see what happens to them? they explode.  All the doors and armour in the world wouldnt save you from anti aircraft fire - they arent meant for sustained conflict, just to get infantry down to the ground and into the fight asap. Leaping over a railing is quicker than fucking around with doors  Thats how i see it anyway "
    Yes, that's why personal carriers in todays modern militaries  are built more and more like tanks. 

@Spoonman671 said:
    " I believe the in-fiction explanation is that these landers were originally cargo transports that were repurposed to meet the demands of war.  More likely this design was adapted as a higgins boat analogue in order to invoke WWII, as Guerrilla often does, with the added benefit of allowing for sweeping vistas to be displayed during cinematics. "
    And this guy says my second point way better than I ever could. 

But yeah, it's a terrible terrible design. Maybe when weapons weren't as advanced as today, and "storming the beach" was a "viable" strategy that shit would cut it, but today, and I'm sure the future will be similar, weapons are too advanced and strategies are too different for you to need to get out of a transport that fast. And a unit that is organized and well trained can exit a modern transport pretty fast, without having to leap off of a big metal waffle.
    ChillyUK7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By ChillyUK7

At the speed the ships seem to fly at anyone on board would be blown off, any evasive action would also send them flying them, there's no harnesses except metal railings which I guess you could attach a safety rope to but you'd still have a bunch of troops flailing around breaking limbs before they even get into combat.
    mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By mosespippy
    @TheHBK said:
    "  While I am here, can someone explain to me why the Helghast troops need masks and these regular ass humans invading Helghan don't? "
    I believe in Killzone 1 they explain that living on Helghan has caused birth defects in the eyes and lungs of most citizens. I'm not sure though because it's been a long time since i last played KZ1 and I didn't pay that much attention.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.