Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kinect Support

Concept »

Kinect is a camera and depth sensor-based peripheral for the Xbox 360 that allows users to interact with and play games using their whole bodies, rather than using a standard controller.

I don't understand the appeal for the menu navigating..

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TwoOneFive

It just looks cool but it looks like it's all pretty slow and quite tedious. You have to be standing, as has been confirmed unless they figure out how to fix it. And you'll have to wave your hands then hold your hand up and still for a couple of seconds to select something. the voice thing is slow too. you have to say XBOX YADA AYDA, wait a sec and it responds. 
     it has fun game potential, dance central looks like a great time. but using a remote or a controller is WAY more efficient when it comes to menu navigating than waving your arms and using voice commands. it will be neat for a few tries and to show off to friends and all. but after the cool factor wears off, you'll get frustrated and want the speed and accuracy of your controller back. 

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Burns098356GX

I think it'd be cool if they were able to bring that same hands-free thing to PC. Navigate your PC hands free.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

People are easily amused.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Andorski

People don't seem to mind the navigation for the Wii's menu system.  Having to hold position for a second to select things is stupid though.  Why not activate a menu option with a simple hand gesture, like making a fist?

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
    ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ChickenPants

Because the press are a bunch of nerds and the addition of this sci-fi high-concept futuristic crap strokes their collective nerd boners regardless of how practical the actual functionality is.

taccyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By taccyp

It seems more taxing then simply using a controller. Having to wave your hand around, and then speak clearly enough for it to understand you seems like more work than simply pressing buttons on a controller.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @TwoOneFive:  It's not the reality of it that makes people excited, it's the concept.  I think it would be awesome to wave my hands in the air, expanding my fingers or forming a fist, to navigate menus.

@ChickenPants said:

" Because the press are a bunch of nerds and the addition of this sci-fi high-concept futuristic crap strokes their collective nerd boners regardless of how practical the actually functionality is. "

To each his own.  Good for you if you hate the idea and prefer practicality.  I, on the other hand, would enjoy this "sci-fi high concept crap" if it was well implemented.
    Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
    ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ChickenPants
    @FluxWaveZ: I never said I hated it, I think it's pretty cool. I was just stating the rationale behind people's reaction. :)
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @ChickenPants:  Ah, well sorry then.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @Burns098356GX said:

" I think it'd be cool if they were able to bring that same hands-free thing to PC. Navigate your PC hands free. "

did you read anything i just said or are you so kenict-excited you can't possibly think of any negativity about it?

its SLOW and TEDIUS. sounds cool but using it for menus and such is just a gimmick and the cool factor will wear off fast. hopefully dev's can make some good games because gaming is the only thing i see worth using it for, which isn't a bad thing, i just wish they spent less time showing off the menu stuff at the e3 conference. 
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ryanwho

Its "futuristic movie" tech. Substantially less efficient than what it replaces but boy oh boy is it futuristic. "Xbox pause", oh thank god I don't have to press a single button like some kind of caveman.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @TwoOneFive said:

" @Burns098356GX said:

" I think it'd be cool if they were able to bring that same hands-free thing to PC. Navigate your PC hands free. "

did you read anything i just said or are you so kenict-excited you can't possibly think of any negativity about it?
    Maybe he read it and disagreed?
    Sheesh.
    samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By samcotts

I agree. Completely pointless for menu navigation. It's a gimmick that people will get bored of quickly after the release of Kinect.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By rjayb89

Whatever man, I want to be able to navigate menus by the mere thought of it.

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Cramsy

I think it looks cool..  

Be nice to just be on the couch and quickly pause without looking for my controller 

SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SolemnOaf

Out of all the Kinetic functions, voice recognition is the only thing I think would be practically useful.  For the next generation of consoles (especially if they rely on digital content which all signs indicate they will) it would be usefull to be able to say "console, play Blur" and have it just start up without having to sort through any menus. 

Of course, any amount of time this might save will be thwarted by the multiple certification processes your console-specific digital content will have to undergo.  Making sure your game's connected to your tag's connected to your hard drive's connected to your console's game and all that in reverse order, too.  Anyways, it still could be useful, the rest of Kinect can burn in hell.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.