Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

King Arthur: The Role-Playing Wargame

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Nov 24, 2009

Guide King Arthur in uniting the warring provinces of Britannia in this large scale RTS wargame of deep fantasy.

I really want to like this game. Difficulty is pissing me off.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Gunner

So i bought this game about a week ago and everything about it seems like a really good mix between empire total war, dota, and heroes of might and magic. But there is one problem, the difficulty is way too high even on the lowest setting. 

Now im no stranger to total war type of games and not to toot my own horn, but im pretty good at them. But this game becomes almost impossible once you get to turn 100 or so, enemies start attacking you out of the blue and their armies almost always outrank and outnumber yours. There is absolutely no way to "auto-resolve" battles because you suffer really heavy losses in doing so, even if by some chance you magically win the battle.  At least in the Total war games i could rely on a skilled general to fight and win battles for me, I usually only need to fight the battles when i have an inexperienced general. In this game it doesnt matter how good your knight is or how good your troops are, if you auto-resolve you need to outnumber the enemy by an insane amount to not suffer severe losses.

Ranting aside, is there something that im missing? Ive been researching new units, building new buildings as fast as i can but i cant run a decent campaign against an enemy without my armies either getting whiped out, or put to a hault due to several losses and then counter attacked.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I don't have it, and just found out about this recently, so I can't help.

But, you can help me!
    Would you reccomend this game? 
     I played Empire on hard, so I'm no nubcake either, but looking at your post, is it worth me buying?

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Gunner
    @Death_Unicorn: I ended up having to use cheats to enjoy the later parts of the game, though if i were you id wait for a patch that fixes the difficulty or until a price drop.
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Any news on when a patch is coming out?

gpbmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By gpbmike

There was a patch released on Steam on the 8th. Though it might not be the update you're looking for. 

• Samhain armies spawn less frequently and their maximum number is limited
    • Saved games remain available when renaming profiles
    • Added autosave to each season
    • Added "Delete savegame"
    • Added Quicksave on Campaign map (Hotkey: F5)
    • Added "disable" checkbox for unit selection voices
    • Damage by Whirlwind and Pool of Darkness paused during "Pause"
    • "Difficulty level" influences the experience level of the enemy units
    • Added missing pictures (for a couple of artifacts and skills)
    • Fixed game crash bugs
    • 1360x768, 1366x768, 2560x1600 resolutions available

http://store.steampowered.com/news/3210/
    Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gunner
    @gpbmike: Yeah i played it a bit after that patch and its way easier as long as you fight every battle.  

Just a few more bug fixes and better balance and this game will be great.
    SaucySala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By SaucySala

Are there multiple factions and great replayability like Total War?

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gunner
    @SaucySala said:

" Are there multiple factions and great replayability like Total War? "

You can only play as King Arthur, But there still is a lot of replayability due to moral/religious choices and how you spec your armies out.
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Teran
    @Gunner: Thanks for all the info Gunner, you've answered a lot of questions for us.
    Newtime1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Newtime1

I know how you feel gunner. This game is too hard and unbalanced. the enemies scale to your guys sort of and yeah like you said very quickly they become way more experienced than your guys and there are way more of them than you. Auto battle almost always looses and yeah you take heavy losses. if you want to finish it in a reasonable amount of time you need to fight every battle and manage absolutely everything. Generally you use the same strategy in all of the rts battles to win, as does the AI. and i believe the difficulty doesn't make the enemies smarter it just makes them more unfairly tough. the provinces rebel even when you have low taxes and good rulers. unbalanced magic spells and types of enemies in the later half of the game that kick your ass. A lot of the ideas in this game are good and seems like an interesting idea but the game is so damn unbalanced that I would recommend nobody buy this. especially if you play total war games. Try the demo on steam but know that from there on the problems I just listed become more and more evident. And also all the problems i talked about were on the easiest difficulty out of the five. haha. and i'm fairly good at these types of games, like, i love total war game but this game is broken. 
    wow i'm a little chatty kathy huh. 
    i hope that helps somebody.

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Alphiehyr

Despite many bugs and quest typos with this game, I still find it enjoying and challenging.

uk_john

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By uk_john

I think many gamers have been softened by our 'mutiformat' market we have today, where games are 'streamlined' both in gameplay and difficulty for the console market. This is an old fashioned PC only game. For PC gamers. For a start, this means you MUST read the manual. It means you MUST pay attention during the tutorial, you MUST take it slow and assume it WILL be more difficult than your typical 'multiformat' game and lastly you must put yourself into Arthur's and his Knight's heads in order to play the game well.

Just like with so many PC games of the DOS era, this game expects you to make mistakes and purposefully does not hold your hand! Be brave and continue through the losses and see where the game takes you, don't keepre-loading and trying different options. This game is not meant to be played this way! Replayablity has changed in this multiformat market we now have. It used to mean different ways to play the game, but it also used to mean losing the war/battle/story and having to start gain taking a different route. The Daggerfall manual, for example, specifically tells you to not re-load unless you die or get into an unwinnable situation. it points out that the game is designed for quest failures and reputation loss when you make a mistake. So it is with Planescape Torment to. Now these are two classic games, and King Arthur is amongst these classics in that it want you to continue when you get things wrong, try to 'save' the situation, as it where.

I have heard gamers talk about getting into 'unwinnable' situations as though it was a bug! 

So read the manual, try and live with your mistakes and just see where it leads you. Don't see it as 'unfair',  just think of different strategies. All the great games of PC past demanded a little investment. This game needs that too, but gives back five times over what you put in - if you let it! 

It's only January, but I can see this game being my personal game of the year. Just like Space Rangers 2 was my No.1 game in 2007, another unknown classic game!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.