Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kingdom Hearts

Franchise »

The Kingdom Hearts franchise is a series of games conceived by fusing together popular elements of Final Fantasy story telling and classic Disney characters.

aratto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By aratto

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ViciousReiven

1, 2, BBS, 3D 

Those are the main story games and cover everything you REALLY need to know, the rest are pretty much side games and don't matter as much to the main plot, but are worth playing if you like these.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By dtat

1 then 2. Done

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JJOR64

@ViciousReiven said:

1, 2, BBS, 3D Those are the main story games and cover everything you REALLY need to know, the rest are pretty much side games and don't matter as much to the main plot, but are worth playing if you like these.

This.

pacperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pacperson

Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories, Kingdom hearts 2, Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep and then Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance....

yeah its a lot...play Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days if you can after Chain of Memories but it won't be too bad if you skip it.

Skip Kingdom Hearts coded for sure.....if that's just too much, Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance gives you all the back story in a glossary...but i really really don't recommended doing that, Just go play the first, you'll know if your gonna like these games after the first few hours. it starts off really slow but keep at it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

@JJOR64 said:

@ViciousReiven said:

1, 2, BBS, 3D Those are the main story games and cover everything you REALLY need to know, the rest are pretty much side games and don't matter as much to the main plot, but are worth playing if you like these.

This.

I agree with these two. I personally enjoyed 358/2 Days (it should be played after KH2), but it's a sidestory that doesn't focus on the main narrative.

CountRockula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By CountRockula

Play 1 and 2, and ignore everything else. Other games fill in bits and pieces of the overarching fiction, but it's all nonsensical anime horseshit anyway. To be honest, even 2 goes up its own ass a good bit, but it's still worlds better than any of the portable games.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hunter5024

Everyone who told you to skip Chain of Memories is wrong. I know two friends (who are admittedly kind of stupid), that were completely lost in 2 because they skipped CoM. It's a fun little game even if not up to the same quality as 1 and 2.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel

@Hunter5024 said:

Everyone who told you to skip Chain of Memories is wrong. I know two friends (who are admittedly kind of stupid), that were completely lost in 2 because they skipped CoM. It's a fun little game even if not up to the same quality as 1 and 2.

This is very true. Chain of Memories is necessary to fully understand the context of KH2. Though I'd recommend hunting down the GBA version if you can, because the PS2 remake they released a few years ago is agonizing to play.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By GunslingerPanda

All but 358/2. I haven't played Re:Coded but I've heard it's real good. If you can't deal with bad gameplay then skip CoM, though you'll miss some pretty big bits of the story.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By papercut

@GunslingerPanda said:

All but 358/2. I haven't played Re:Coded but I've heard it's real good. If you can't deal with bad gameplay then skip CoM, though you'll miss some pretty big bits of the story.

Re:coded can be skipped

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By mosespippy

Having played 1 and 2 I say they are probably all skippable.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ghost_cat

Just play one and two, but if you want to save yourself from the annoyance of ever playing a proper sequel, then skip the entire franchise.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Terramagi

@Hailinel said:

@Hunter5024 said:

This is very true. Chain of Memories is necessary to fully understand the context of KH2. Though I'd recommend hunting down the GBA version if you can, because the PS2 remake they released a few years ago is agonizing to play.

Pft, all you really need to know is that the reason "Organization 13" doesn't have 13 members is because you fucking wasted half of them.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Justin258

Play the first one. If you like that one - and I mean REALLY like it, as in you immediately start it again on the hardest difficulty and spend the next few days beating it in one sitting while forgoing food, water, showers, and bathroom necessities - then play the second one.

And then forget the rest.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Smash 1 with a baseball bat

Stab 2 with a knife

Shoot 3D with a gun

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By Dagbiker

1, skip everything else.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By shiftymagician

I only have and ever will play the 2 console games, 1 and 2, so I recommend just those two myself. I'm not going to purchase portable consoles to play everything else and if it really is necessary to play some of the portables to understand any main points of the eventual third main game, then the series is shooting itself in the foot story-wise in my own subjective opinion.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.