Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Feb 07, 2012

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an open-world singleplayer RPG with combo-based action and the trappings of an MMORPG. Reckoning is set in Amalur, the same setting as 38 Studios' planned MMO codenamed "Copernicus."

Kingdoms of Amalur : Reckoning - 'Review Collection Fred'

• 111 results
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By emem
    @Still_I_Cry: Oh, you were joking? Aaalright. :)) 

At not including reviews from countries that don't have English as their first language... I don't get it. Internet browsers these days can basically translate every single language into English and if that's not enough, I could translate the German reviews for you (probably not much better than the browsers though... my English is not particularly good). ;)
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Seppli
    @Napalm

Embargo's gonna drop soon enough. Who on here gives a shit about German reviews other than me? The handful of users from Germany, Austria and Switzerland maybe, if that. We'd not be here if we'd care much for German sites.

I'm looking forward to the Gametrailers and Gamespot and Eurogamer reviews. That and the German Gamestar PC mag, because they have the most analytical review system in the bizz - though that's why I find them quite aggrivating at times. No room for emotion.

Guess I'll scavenge for the Jostique's and their likes reviews on Metacritic too, even though I don't usually care for their opinions. Maybe I won't.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By napalm

@Seppli: We are an international community, and there are far more than just a "handful" or users from those respective countries.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Seppli
    @emem: @Napalm

Sure, if the demand is THAT big. I'll give it to you. Don't expect me to unearth and source every review though.
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#55  Edited By musubi

I really don't understand everyone's issue with the camera. I really don't. I played the demo through 3 times and never once felt my experience was impaired by the camera.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Leptok

Only good scores come out and everything else is embargoed? Not good.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By napalm

@Seppli: Which really begs the question why you even made this thread just to turn around and say, "pfft, I'm not going to post ALL reviews."

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By bwheeeler

@Napalm: If he were posting the bad ones, it would take too much work. He'd have to go through each and every point the review makes and say why it's wrong to criticize the game.

Blind_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#59  Edited By Blind_Evil

@bwheeeler said:

@Napalm: If he were posting the bad ones, it would take too much work. He'd have to go through each and every point the review makes and say why it's wrong to criticize the game.

There are no "bad" ones yet.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By azrailx

lowest ive hurd of is 7.5

also hes missing 1 or 2 more 8's

and stop trolling and or being a c unt

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Patman99

Seems like it's going to be a good game. More awesome RPGs makes Patman99 a happy boy.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By david3cm

I have noticed that you are an avid backer of this game, so I hope that you collect both good AND bad reviews. This thread should be for an easy reference of all reviews, not just ones that support your love of this game.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By TentPole

@ll_Exile_ll said:

@TentPole said:

In other news the lead designer on this game kinda takes a shit on Dark Souls: "I do not admire it’s mean-spirited treatment of its users"

Source

You are taking that quote out of context and twisting the meaning. Either you have some serious reading comprehension problems or you're intentionally misusing the quote to incite an argument. Either way, you're an idiot.

I think the quote speaks for itself. And I stand by my post. No need to get bent out of shape about it. He did have some good things to say about the game but he very specifically called the game out on one of its defining design characteristics. And is it really necessary to insult me on a personal level? Because I know I should be use to it on the internet but I still find it offensive and insulting.

punisherkaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Balex1908

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Balex1908

Based on the reviews, it has good combat, nice loot and and you have plenty of options to customize your characters, but everything else story, atmosphere, quests and npcs, is generic fantasy. So basically what everyone said or expected after playing the demo.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Seppli

Just watched the Gametrailers review. I feared that difficulty will become trivial quickly, even though combat does cater very well to keep a pure powertrip rewarding. I think most of this complaint could have been amended with a simple cooldown on consumables. Hopefully hard difficulty will keep it from becoming too trivial. Apparently high difficulty has been achieved by making enemies more aggrissive and unrelenting, rather than cranking up statistical values too high - they don't let up, even if you got staggered and stuff like that. Don't quite get the loot complaint, since crafting is fed of rare components gained by disassembling gear.

Can't wait to finally embark on my journey. Still a day or two in Europe. What a wait.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Seppli
    The G4 review is well written and argumented, but overly mean. Most games would falter, if put under the same scrutiny and measured by the standards Sessler judges it by. Many of the complaints could be leveled against a game like Skyrim, but are overlooked rather than pursued in that case. He allows himself to tear the game a new one, because there is a part of the audience who expects someone to do so. I guess that's okay, even though I don't share his and their values. Judged as an action RPG, it executes on the action better than most its contemporaries and the character progression system is deep and rewarding. There's a tonne of meat too. Essentially his complaints boil down to 'the game is too much like just a game' and not enough like the piece of artful interactive storytelling I've come to expect. 

Skyrim has mostly shit story with shit storytelling and flat characters with no real consequences for the gameworld. It gets overlooked because it gets many other things right. Combat isn't among them and I'd argue charcter progression isn't either, but that gets overlooked of course, even though its at the core of the experience. Oh well - every now and then a candid opinion is refreshing, even though it seems like he's used KoA:R as an opportunity to gain some street cred by allowing himself to go negative, even though it's not necessarily warranted by the game.  Go figure.
    Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#68  Edited By dekkadekkadekka
    Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Lautaro

@Seppli said:

Oh well - every now and then a candid opinion is refreshing, even though it seems like he's used KoA:R as an opportunity to gain some street cred by allowing himself to go negative, even though it's not necessarily warranted by the game. Go figure.

Have you played the full game yet?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Seppli

I like the Gamespot review a lot, since he makes it sound like the 'Anti-Skyrim'. It gets everything right Skyrim does not and vice versa. Oddly enough, KoA:R gets the 'gamey' elements right and Skryrim gets the worldbuilding and immersiveness right. I find the resulting score disparity somewhat jarring. 7.5 for the game that's great at being a game. 9.0 for the game that does everything except the gamey bits right. Priorities these days, I have a hard time understanding.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Seppli
    @Lautaro said:

@Seppli said:

Oh well - every now and then a candid opinion is refreshing, even though it seems like he's used KoA:R as an opportunity to gain some street cred by allowing himself to go negative, even though it's not necessarily warranted by the game. Go figure.

Have you played the full game yet?

No - just giving my impressions on the review.
    RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#72  Edited By RIDEBIRD

You're reviewing reviews?

I'm pumped for thursday, mainly because my exam is done and I can play a new game and just GO all weekend.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By SlasherMan

@Seppli: The Sess just says it like he sees it, and you've got to admire that. I hate G4TV and everything it stands for, but I usually don't mind hearing what Adam has to say.

Bawlsz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Bawlsz

The game seems to have great combat and loot, but the world, npcs and story seems to be generic and bland, from what the gamespot review states, but was pretty much expecting that, from what I played from the demo, I'll probably get this game later on when it is allot cheaper, got allot of backlog of games to finish, Its good that the game is getting decent reviews though.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Seppli
    Joystiq's review is impressionistic. It doesn't take the game apart and rather presents it as a whole. Through the eyes of someone 'who wants KoA:R to be good'. The kind of guy who immerses himself into the world despite it's gamey architecture. Who takes in the dialog and story dispite the subpar facial animation and silent protagonist. He simply said : 'Okay, I buy into it!' and he found a game he greatly enjoys. I hope the same will be true for me, because that's very much the attitude I'll have when playing this game.
    Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

It sounds very uneven. Still, got my pre-order in, looking forward to it.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Seppli
    1up's review reads like an apology for liking it as much as he does. He gives plenty reasons for why it's not good, but can't help but acknowledge that he has had a lot of fun with it thanks to the combat and character progression and sheer amount of stuff to do. That KoA:R is an action RPG to reckon with.
    RavenX302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By RavenX302

@Jaytow: I dont know. The reviews that I have read have been more about it being a good to very good game, not simply average. Maybe more generic, but overall not an average experience. The fact that many are comparing it to Skyrim in some aspects positively, is pretty impressive to me at least.

Bawlsz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#81  Edited By Gargantuan

This is off topic but is there only seven destinies or do you unlock more later?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#82  Edited By xyzygy

Where the hell did that 2.5/5 come from... jesus

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Woah, some crazy-mixed reviews there.

Do not know what to think.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#84  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Seems like most, if not all of the dings Sessler gives Amalur are things that were more or at least as true in Skyrim, which he gave a 5/5.

I hate to be the "apples-to-apples" comparison kind of person, but if you're going to say Skyrim had a higher level of polish than...well, any other non-Bethesda game, I'm going to lose a little respect for you.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Jimbo

Shaping up for a low 80s average. Not bad.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#86  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I read a few reviews including that G4TV one and I came to the conclusion so far that the game isn't perfect but it should be quite enjoyable. I have a feeling that the G4TV guy has some bias because a lot things he says is wrong with the game isn't found in other reviews. Some reviews have the total opposite of what the G4TV review said. Anyway, I'm now going to play it along with the Fallout New Vegas DLC. Do one DLC then do a couple days of KOA, ect ect.

cyraxible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By cyraxible

@Krakn3Dfx: "Opinions"

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#88  Edited By Tennmuerti

Playing it now myself a solid 4/5 or 8/10 is what I'd give it. It's a well made game in general, but it's RPG lite and action lite as well. It does all it's parts well but it does nothing exceptionally. It's generic however, i know this is oversused, but the reason for that is that that description fits so well.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#89  Edited By phrosnite

Adam Sessler gave it a 2.5/5 which is OUCH! Since when he started using halves and why? I was right that the game will be low 80s overall. It might go below 80 though. We'll see.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By penguindust

@Jimbo said:

Shaping up for a low 80s average. Not bad.

That's pretty much what I would have guessed. The Joystiq 5-star rating (I read the review, too) seemed a bit much for me considering how divisive certain elements in the game are to the gaming population such as the graphics and lack of originality. But, I do think the fun-factor does count for something and the combat looks to boost this otherwise 3-star game to a 4. I had fun with the demo despite my numerous grievances and I do plan to pick it up once it goes on sale. If, similar to Skyrim, Arkham City and Saints Row 3, in two months time it drops down to $40, I'll give them my money.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Chop

I don't think it's really fair for those of you who have put three hours in to call reviewers who have put 40 hours in wrong. Maybe give the game a dozen more hours and see if you feel the same way before saying Sessler is wrong.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#92  Edited By musubi

@xyzygy: X-play. Which means you can ignore it as nothing they ever do matters.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Enigma777

Looks like The Sessler tore it a new one.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Enigma777

@Krakn3Dfx said:

Seems like most, if not all of the dings Sessler gives Amalur are things that were more or at least as true in Skyrim, which he gave a 5/5.

I hate to be the "apples-to-apples" comparison kind of person, but if you're going to say Skyrim had a higher level of polish than...well, any other non-Bethesda game, I'm going to lose a little respect for you.

I'd easily say that Skyrim had more polish than any other Bethesda game. However in the grand scheme of things it's still tiny when compared to other AAA games.

RavenX302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By RavenX302

Low to mid 80s is a pretty damn fine score for a new RPG that clearly, (if you've played the demo) had some rough spots. I have not played the full game yet, but the one thing I really hope they address is that camera in and out of combat. Really close and really annoying.

Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#96  Edited By Crixaliz

@Jaytow said:

When this game is £20 I will buy it, the reviews seem to be telling me that this game is average.

Same here

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By swoxx

I did not expect this game to get these kinds of scores.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Swoxx: I'm not sure if you're referring to the low scores or the high scores at all.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By swoxx

@Cloudenvy said:

@Swoxx: I'm not sure if you're referring to the low scores or the high scores at all.

The high ones

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Swoxx: Ah, okay!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.